Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hail + Tesla = sad sad day :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3967.JPG
Got caught in the sydney hailstorm yesterday. Towels didn't save the tesla from a beating. Golf ball sized hail has left golf ball sized dents.... so sad

IMG_3978.JPGIMG_3972.JPG

• Disagree
Reactions: bradjc
Worst Nightmare......dread the thought, hope all goes well with your repairs/insurer.

Aldi of all places had car hail covers with thick padding on sale several weeks back. I went to check them out but sold out in 30 mins. Didn't know such a thing existed but worth considering keep such a thing in the boot.

Worst Nightmare......dread the thought, hope all goes well with your repairs/insurer.

Aldi of all places had car hail covers with thick padding on sale several weeks back. I went to check them out but sold out in 30 mins. Didn't know such a thing existed but worth considering keep such a thing in the boot.

Yes that is really sad. So sorry. Take heart, it'll be back to how it was, no doubt very soon.

Since I often travel to very stormy regions, I bought a hail cover. After hail warnings yesterday I used it for the first time. Despite being under the carport, it got hit by large hail stones. Not sure if the right size is available at Supercheap Auto, I cannot see X-Large listed on their website. Definitely worth ~$250.

Hail Protection Car Covers

Autotechnica X-Large.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
  • Informative
Reactions: electracity
My BMW Z3 suffered damage in the 1999 hail storm, as did my boat. The canvas covers looked like a machine gun had been used on them.
Sad to see the Tesla above. I was at the service centre at the time the severe weather warning came in. I warned the crew there to bring the cars in which they did, and I drove to the nearby homemaker centre to park under cover.
Paintless dent removal may be the go with your car, especially if the fenders are also damaged, otherwise replacing all the affected panels is going to be prohibitive. The bonnet may be worth replacing.

To answer your questions - the aluminum seemed to fair better than steel. They weren't side by side, and I had towels on tesla, but my Toyota it totally trashed (dozens of craters dents)

The glass took the full brunt, including the pano sunroom - held it off. Saw others in area with windows smashed (esp rear), so it is tough stuff.

I got hit on the hand trying to get towels on car, and it hurt a lot (worse than a paintball). I suspect if one hit my head it would leave a nasty bump.

The bonnet is most impacted, but the doors have a few small ones, and the roof rails (between door and glass roof) have one or 2. Not sure how they fix those.

Seems some insurers texted warnings, would have saved them a fortune. Not Comminsure ;-(

The annoying part is not having any hail damage in 25 years, and the worst one only 4 months into tesla ownership ;-(

• Informative
Reactions: Tozla and ModelX
Anecdotal experience relayed to me from my old Porsche 928 days from other owners and my long term mechanic was that the aluminium panels (the 928 bonnet, doors and guards) seem to stand up better than steel in hail storms. The theory is that it bounces back rather than just deforming.

I have no idea if that's true or not but the only hail type dent in my 928 was a single one on a steel section of roof. I think that it was caused by a falling branch but can't be sure as I only found it when washing the car one weekend.

That being said, if the storm was bad enough to smash glass then it's likely to dent panels.