Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they had to lie. If MobilEye broke the contract (or did not renew) cause they did not want supply chips, what would happen to sales in 2017after that if they sold cars inferior to old ones? And all the AP1 backorders, customers would cancel and sue. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

None of that forced them to announce Enhanced Autopilot or FSD and start taking extra money for those. Keeping selling Autopilot 1 features only (on AP2 HW) would have been much less of an issue...

I think they had to lie. If MobilEye broke the contract (or did not renew) cause they did not want supply chips, what would happen to sales in 2017after that if they sold cars inferior to old ones? And all the AP1 backorders, customers would cancel and sue. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The deposit contract with Tesla never required them to deliver a car. They have set up a much larger liability by selling cars with promises attached than canceling a deposit.

Also, Mobileye canceled months before HW2 was announced.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
None of that forced them to announce Enhanced Autopilot or FSD and start taking extra money for those. Keeping selling Autopilot 1 features only (on AP2 HW) would have been much less of an issue...
I agree. It was a crazy ass lie if in fact they were lying. I still would have made the purchase, if I knew then what I know now, unless I thought Elon was a lier. I think he believed what he was saying, but he's just a bit off his rocker. I can forgive him for being crazy.

Have you had a chance to use the latest AP2 SW version yet? I found it very impressive so far. About where we should have been ten months ago, based on Elon's optimism.

Have you had a chance to use the latest AP2 SW version yet? I found it very impressive so far. About where we should have been ten months ago, based on Elon's optimism.

Not yet. But I can't agree with the 10 months given that's when we should have had a four-camera EAP with auto lane-changes and automatic ramp-taking (indeed the latter was then supposed to be available for AP1 too based on navigation!)... instead we don't even have the IC identification yet.

We really shouldn't forget, in all this desperation for AP1 parity, that EAP we were promised sounded A LOT different than what we've been driving this year.

I will refrain from posting the picture this time. ;)

Not yet. But I can't agree with the 10 months given that's when we should have had a four-camera EAP with auto lane-changes and automatic ramp-taking (indeed the latter was then supposed to be available for AP1 too based on navigation!)... instead we don't even have the IC identification yet.

We really shouldn't forget, in all this desperation for AP1 parity, that EAP we were promised sounded A LOT different than what we've been driving this year.

I will refrain from posting the picture this time. ;)

Oh by all means don’t refrain. It’s one of the more useful visual aids from the entire site.

Sorry, @TaoJones.

I wonder if .42 will transition from one freeway to another, you think?

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Yeah I don't know. It sounds like a pipe dream to me. Hard to give Elon the benefit of the doubt on this one. He should probably be drug tested.

But if FSD is coming, EAP really should be able to transition from one highway to another, right?

It wasn't that long ago when we all believed it soon would...

Threads like this one below weren't uncommon on TMC in October, 2016 - yet I would think many using AP2 actually pay more attention to the road than they usually do given the history that unfolded. Mind you, it was understandable to think this way after the rather solid AP1 and Tesla's October 2016 PR...
We all now AP2.0 and the self driving feature will convince us 99% of the time that its safe and increasingly have you less focused on being the ultimate fail safe machine ( the driver). Its the 1% use cases that could be fatal. So the question is what tips / thoughts do you have to use AP2.0 prudently?

Last edited:
FUD-Lite abounds. Never quite crossing the line, but right there on the edge.

One has to wonder why some even own a Tesla after such constant passive aggressive negativity. And to claim to have owned two? The future can't come soon enough.

The fervor on the i-pace forums is palpable, for a corpse. Fitting, this being Halloween...

There are more views and replies on this thread alone than the combined posts in all of the i-pace forums I found. Very telling, IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and EinSV
One has to wonder why some even own a Tesla after such constant passive aggressive negativity. And to claim to have owned two? The future can't come soon enough.

To claim? There's FUD-Lite for you. ;) I have owned two. One now (the X), have oned another (the S). This is long-documented on this forum which I've been an active participant since 2014.

This may come as a surprise to you, but a lot of us are rarther disappointed in what was sold to us as EAP+FSD in October, 2016 (and again in January, 2017 communications) and this issue remains unresolved. Hence the feelings and pushback. I wouldn't be surprised if those emotions linger for a long time. It was a pretty crappy move by Tesla.

As for I-Pace, I'm all ears about mid-sized SUV or hatchback BEVs from Tesla would hit the European market for second cars in the 2018-2019 timeframe. I am pretty certain Model Y will not - but if it does, or my second-car replacement is delayed, I would consider it.

To claim? There's FUD-Lite for you. ;) I have owned two. One now (the X), have oned another (the S). This is long-documented on this forum which I've been an active participant since 2014.

This may come as a surprise to you, but a lot of us are rarther disappointed in what was sold to us as EAP+FSD in October, 2016 (and again in January, 2017 communications) and this issue remains unresolved. Hence the feelings and pushback. I wouldn't be surprised if those emotions linger for a long time. It was a pretty crappy move by Tesla.

As for I-Pace, I'm all ears about mid-sized SUV or hatchback BEVs from Tesla would hit the European market for second cars in the 2018-2019 timeframe. I am pretty certain Model Y will not - but if it does, or my second-car replacement is delayed, I would consider it.

Indeed, a purely fraudulent move by Tesla, and one that killed my loyalty to the brand.

Indeed, a purely fraudulent move by Tesla, and one that killed my loyalty to the brand.

I definitely think it was deceptive and it definitely tarnished Tesla's brand and softened my ardor for Tesla. Their uncorking of my 75D and recent AP improvements have ameliorated this. I think if they make excellent progress between now and Q1 2018, I could move on. Never forget, but have the heart to forgive (it only hurts you to hold on to negativity).

Persecution complex much? Since you feel I was directing anything specifically to you, @AnxietyRanger, I have to comment that my surprise stems more from the fact that "a lot of you" direct your pushback here, seemingly with the intent of, in some cases, subtly spreading FUD. It's becoming more transparent, IMHO.

May I suggest this forum? Perhaps it will ease your emotional state with the disappointment you have. Understand that none here can help you with the feelings of buyer's remorse you appear to be experiencing, other than to offer our condolences as we too continue to wait for Tesla to work through the complexity of migrating to a new H/W platform.

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno
Persecution complex much? Since you feel I was directing anything specifically to you, @AnxietyRanger

Come on now. You talk of claims of owning two Tesla and then I-Pace - that matches only to me on this thread. Let's be honest. That was a reference to me - at the very least I was being used as an example, so I responded.

I have to comment that my surprise stems more from the fact that "a lot of you" direct your pushback here, seemingly with the intent of, in some cases, subtly spreading FUD. It's becoming more transparent, IMHO.

Well, that is your interpretation and you are welcome to it. The way I see it, it is pretty realistic user/owner feedback and holding Tesla accountable to their promises in the public.

May I suggest this forum? Perhaps it will ease your emotional state with the disappointment you have. Understand that none here can help you with the feelings of buyer's remorse you appear to be experiencing, other than to offer our condolences as we too continue to wait for Tesla to work through the complexity of migrating to a new H/W platform.

Pfft. I like my Tesla car. I'm not a big fan of some of the actions of the company. What I like I have documented extensively, e.g. in the thread that is in my signature.