TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone upgraded the USB ports to support faster charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BrettS, May 2, 2017.

1. JasJ

JasJ Member

Hope you took photos. I'm going to replicate what you did if I can figure out the route you took. Thanks for the long description.

Ordering the MotoPower now.

2. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

You have a newer car, with the integrated console? If so, did you measure amperage at the USB ports providing power to the rear seats?

3. BrettS

BrettS Member

#23 BrettS, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Here are some pictures. This first one is taken inside the console toward the front. You can see the holes in the 'roof' of the console. Most of the holes are covered by the sliding cover when it's open, but the ones in the very front are not.
    CE647A3D-9BC7-4BEA-A3FE-B22678E97529.JPG
    This is taken from inside the console pointing toward the back and up a little. You can see the cover that goes over the phone dock, which is closed now, at the top of the picture and the phone dock in the middle. I reached under the phone dock plate to mount the new USB connector. The wire for it is running down and to the left.
    64021A9B-8110-4DE3-9154-CFBCC3A9CBF0.JPG
    Another shot of the phone dock connector and the wire running along the inside of the console. The rubber floor of the console has been removed.
    CBBAF41F-4E6D-482E-9F16-691FA35A9D72.JPG
    This shot is from inside the console pointing to the front. The rubber floor of the console is back in place and covering the wire run except where it goes up and out through the hole. This is the only spot where the wire would be visible, but really it's all but impossible to see the very front of the console without sticking your head (or the camera) into the hole.
    567E911F-B55C-4DB0-89EF-047DB5119A8A.JPG
    This next shot shows the area between the screen (you can barely see the screen) and the top of the console. I removed the cubby under the screen to take this picture. The cubby has four latches... two in the front two corners and two in the back two corners... push it straight down to release the latches. Push down the front first, then reach your hand inside to push the back down, once all four latches have been released you can slide it forward and out. Once it was out there was a tiny little sliver of space under the wires you can see in the picture and next to the foam above the console where I could see the wires poking through as I pushed them up into the hole on the roof of the console. Once I found the wires I was able to stick a screw driver through there to push the wires to the right and forward so I could get to them from the passenger footwell. Getting the wires through here to where I could access them in the passenger footwell was the hardest part of this whole thing.
    1AA0DA90-EB98-4953-958C-925394FCF0CF.JPG
    My new wires coming down and connected with tap connectors to the black (ground) and red w/white strip (switched 12V accessory) wires. The purple wire on that connector is for the cigarette lighter, so you could use that as well.
    A02278EE-FD3D-4521-8403-0A53F0C9DA57.JPG
    Here are the wires taped off and pushed back into place and ready for the trim to go back on.
    25965D77-6B1D-4BAC-A0EF-C56ADC4DEEF0.JPG

• Informative x 1
  4. BrettS

BrettS Member

My car doesn't have USB ports for the rear seats, unfortunately.

On a side note as I was doing this work I noticed that the USB plugs in the console have little lights in them... presumably to make them easy to find at night. But what I discovered is that the lights are powered by the USB port... when I disconnect the mini USB plug the lights go off. I'm wondering just how much power the lights draw and if this is why I'm seeing less available power on those plugs vs a standard (unlit) cable.

• Like x 1
  5. JasJ

JasJ Member

@BrettS Thanks for the pictures. Just what I needed.

6. BrettS

BrettS Member

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

7. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Any pictures of the process ? =).

8. BrettS

BrettS Member

Yes, see above:)

9. nnick01

nnick01 Member

Just an FYI. My 2017 MX100D (stock) has two 1000mA USB ports in the front, and three 1500mA USB ports in the back. I also have a flush mount cigarette adapter that has two ports at 2500mA in the front. I find it odd that the front ones are less mA than the rear.

I tested this all using an app called "Battery Life" on my iPhone.

10. BrettS

BrettS Member

#30 BrettS, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Out of curiosity, are the rear ports lit? As I said above, the front ports have a little lights on them that are powered by the USB ports, so I suspected that the lights might be taking some power that would be otherwise available to the phone. If the rear ports aren't lit, then that may explain the difference.

The other thought I had would be if the rear ports are connected to the radio at all... can you play media from devices plugged into the rear ports? If not, then it may be that the front ports are connected to the radio and getting their power from the radio, which only supplies one amp while the rear ports are connected to some other power supply and whatever they are connected to can provide 1.5 amps

11. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Apologize for that! I was on a crappy internet connection earlier so I bet the photos just didnt load fast enough for me.

12. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

13. planx

planx Member

Could somebody do a video guide of the process? I’m not a pro, and the pictures were not enough for me to replicate the modification

Thanks for anyone taking the time!