Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I took delivery Dec 29 in MA and was very happy to get the heated steering wheel (but no next gen seats, front or rear). I speculated in my delivery report thread that maybe Tesla was trying to balance out the love by giving fewer next gen seats to cars that got the heated steering wheel.

The heated wheel is really fantastic, by the way, and it feels like with the heated wheel on and the seat warmer on level 1 I can go without cabin heat for long periods of time (perhaps forever?) if I'm dressed for the winter. So even though it would have been great to get both the heated wheel and the next gen seats, if I had to pick one it would definitely be the heated wheel, especially since the seats will be swapped in but the heated wheel cannot be retrofitted.
Great to hear, thanks.
I'd suggest waiting until it becomes officially available on the order sheet.
I'd love to but MA $2500 credit is due to expire early next year and, much as I want that steering wheel, I don't $2500 want it.

To my delight, my car was equipped with the heated steering wheel. Went into production on 12/16. Still waiting for my HPWC to be installed so range is at a premium. Between the heated seats and steering wheel, I've been able keep the climate control off the vast majority of the time - only turning it on to clear any condensation on the windows. Outside temps have been near or below freezing since I took delivery.

I live in Michigan but took delivery in Columbus... fortunately I also had the next gen seats (both front and rear) installed, too.

Any Coloradoans get the heated steering wheel? With temps below freezing much of December and now January I can assure you it's needed here, and I added the cold weather package to my order to get it!
Fellow Coloradoan here. I have an S58D on order, without the subzero option. I'll add it if and when I know the heated steering wheel is included.

For some reason, each time I read about somebody getting the heated steering wheel I go out to my brand new P85D and select the Cold Weather Tab to see if the Heated Steering Wheel is there. It wasn't there the first time I checked and it's not there each subsequent time I check.

I need to seek help... :)

When I first heard about the possibility that some "cold" regions receive the heated steering wheel I added the cold package to my order (on December 9); car entered production Dec 18. No luck, although I don't think anyone would argue MN is not the warmest place in US. It seems therefore there are 2 conditions to get this: 1. be in a region that is deemed "cold" AND 2. be lucky at the draw.

I think eventually the cold weather package will include heated steering wheel. For me it was an expensive gamble, as I have not much use for the rest of the winter package. I do not blame Tesla, as when I ordered there was heated wheel in the package description. Will make do with the remote climate control.

I saw the light today.... You see, ever since I had my first car with a heated steering wheel, I thought that is a great option. As you can see I was a little disappointed at first that I did not get it.

Let me share my experience today, in a nice Minnesota weather (-5F this morning, +5 F but with blizzard this evening). I pre-heated the car before departure to and from work. The only thing that comes to my mind is why in the world would I even want a heated steering wheel? The car was nice and comfy, I felt cocooned and spoiled. On my way out of the garage I passed an unfortunate colleague trembling in his ICE car while it was warming up for the ride.

To all people who are delaying the order because the heated wheel - you don't need it. Remote climate controlling the car is 10x better, and you will have it in any Tesla, including the bare-bones version....

To all people who are delaying the order because the heated wheel - you don't need it. Remote climate controlling the car is 10x better, and you will have it in any Tesla, including the bare-bones version....
I don't disagree, but will note that if you are trying to conserve battery power, then using just the heated steering wheel and heated seats uses a lot less energy than preconditioning. Precondition if you're plugged in or have range to spare, but otherwise I'd prefer a heated wheel.

I don't disagree, but will note that if you are trying to conserve battery power, then using just the heated steering wheel and heated seats uses a lot less energy than preconditioning. Precondition if you're plugged in or have range to spare, but otherwise I'd prefer a heated wheel.

I don't want to argue to heavily for the benefit of this, given that some people have this option and some don't, and I'm still not sure if I will get the feature (and be celebrating it) or not getting it (and convincing myself that I didn't want it anyway), but..... I would think that in our current weather here - temperature routinely below 0 (zero) F (-15 to -30C) - it would take a fair time heating the cabin before a cold steering wheel would become warm to the touch, or at least not cold enough to require gloves. Definitely more energy required than heating the steering wheel but truthfully in this weather I'm probably pre-warming the cabin, and turning on the heated steering.
I'm very surprised that svp6 didn't get the option. Most people who have been built after December 9th or so seem to be getting the feature - if they are in a designated region. I can't believe that Minnesota wouldn't qualify as a winter region.

I won the heated wheel lottery too... car was in production from 12/08 to 12/22.
Sounds like most of "canadian" cars with winter package got it.
I have a nasty feeling that cars delivered out of the vancouver service center may not be getting this feature. I've been reviewing the various deliveries on the TMC and it seems to me that for every location that has been deemed as eligible, any cars built from December 8 onwards seem to have the feature. Another poster pointed out that the owner in anchorage was receiving their car out of the Seattle SC and therefore might not get the feature as Seattle is not an eligible area. This sounds plausible (not not necessarily sensible). If we apply the same logic to a location like Calgary or Edmonton, our cars come out of Vancouver which has similar climate conditions to Seattle. Unfortunately we have a very small data sample of received cars in the West and Footbag had his car built on December 8th which is right on the border. I am also aware of a Calgary owner who had a car built from December 13th to 16th and who doesn't have the feature. Not sure if my obsession with this feature extends to getting the car delivered in Toronto!

I have a nasty feeling that cars delivered out of the vancouver service center may not be getting this feature. I've been reviewing the various deliveries on the TMC and it seems to me that for every location that has been deemed as eligible, any cars built from December 8 onwards seem to have the feature. Another poster pointed out that the owner in anchorage was receiving their car out of the Seattle SC and therefore might not get the feature as Seattle is not an eligible area. This sounds plausible (not not necessarily sensible). If we apply the same logic to a location like Calgary or Edmonton, our cars come out of Vancouver which has similar climate conditions to Seattle. Unfortunately we have a very small data sample of received cars in the West and Footbag had his car built on December 8th which is right on the border. I am also aware of a Calgary owner who had a car built from December 13th to 16th and who doesn't have the feature. Not sure if my obsession with this feature extends to getting the car delivered in Toronto!

There's a large random component in who gets these. I'm in Ontario. A bunch of the cars that were ordered and built with mine got it. Mine did not. I have no idea why. It's almost like the guy on the line has a magic 8-ball that is deciding which cars get what new features!

There's a large random component in who gets these. I'm in Ontario. A bunch of the cars that were ordered and built with mine got it. Mine did not. I have no idea why. It's almost like the guy on the line has a magic 8-ball that is deciding which cars get what new features!
From the data I've been collecting, nobody who started building before December 8 will get this feature. After that date it is SC dependent. I believe your car was built before Dec 8 (you are only one Vin above my original car) so you fit this hypothesis.