Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bummer. I was hoping the production start date would dictate whether you get the wheel but another person had a start of production 12/16 and did not get it but you got one with 12/16 start... I have a 12/15 start so I am less likely now than ever to get this feature. Oh well. Time will tell.
Since availability has been regionalized, it's highly likely that Alaska gets lumped in with Washington since that's the nearest domestic service center location and Alaska is a small market. The Northwest U.S. hasn't been prioritized for the heated wheel, so Alaska misses out as well. Canada is a different region entirely and I would hope that it would be made available to everyone there. Good luck and please report back.

Just asked my DS and received this word on my P85D order... "I am 99.9% your car will come with the heated steering wheel ..... Your car is in the correct build week and region to receive it." But there's no build sheet for it. The DS also said "There may be one other surprise as well." for which I'm not going to press my luck with finding out what that means. I'm hoping to unwrap my P85D by Christmas and I know what happened when I was 8 years old and discovered my stash of presents early. I'm waiting for delivery to find out...

Mod Note: This thread was created out discussions that started on 3 other threads and pulled together here for clarity and to avoid duplication. In that situation, moderators write the thread title.

I received my P85D yesterday and although disappointed that I did not get any Next Gen seats, I did get the Heated Steering Wheel and it has been nice in the cold weather we are experiencing.

Since availability has been regionalized, it's highly likely that Alaska gets lumped in with Washington since that's the nearest domestic service center location and Alaska is a small market. The Northwest U.S. hasn't been prioritized for the heated wheel, so Alaska misses out as well. Canada is a different region entirely and I would hope that it would be made available to everyone there. Good luck and please report back.

I will just have to get that heated steering wheel on my P1 10D. :)

I received my P85D yesterday and although disappointed that I did not get any Next Gen seats, I did get the Heated Steering Wheel and it has been nice in the cold weather we are experiencing.

Interesting. I had assumed that the early Canadian units that got stuck for a month would all be without the heated wheel. Perhaps I'll get one too! Actually, I don't care myself, but my wife would appreciate it.

Great to hear! Congrats! There is hope for us still stuck in production... Our service manager hinted that we would have some nice surprises in our car. I am hoping that is one of them. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Given the regionalization comments above, has anyone in Canada received a P85D without the heated wheel (assuming the ordered subzero package).

Great to hear! Congrats! There is hope for us still stuck in production... Our service manager hinted that we would have some nice surprises in our car. I am hoping that is one of them. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Given the regionalization comments above, has anyone in Canada received a P85D without the heated wheel (assuming the ordered subzero package).
Footbag (Edmonton has just had a car delivered without heated steering and his car started building on the 8th. Getamped did get heated steering and started on the 10th. I was originally waiting for someone in Canada to get heated steering to indicate if Canada was considered a region. What I'm wondering now is whether Eastern Canada out of Toronto or Montreal may be treated differently than Western Canada out of Vancouver. Given that Vancouver's climate is more similar to Seattle - maybe cars coming through there might not have the feature! I had originally heard that cars built from December 8th onwards would have the feature provided the car was going to one of the specified regions. Maybe it was cars built after December 8th. I guess all we know for sure right now is that Toronto and area is considered an eligible region, and cars built on December 10th (and presumably thereafter) in an eligible region should have the feature - assuming it isn't random parts assignment like the next gen seats. Looking forward to some of you Western Canadian adding some data points.

There's a case to be made for heated steering wheels in more temperate areas compared to those areas that are really cold. In a temperate area you're likely to wear a lighter (or no) coat rather than bundle up the way you would where it gets really cold.

There's a case to be made for heated steering wheels in more temperate areas compared to those areas that are really cold. In a temperate area you're likely to wear a lighter (or no) coat rather than bundle up the way you would where it gets really cold.

That's a bit of a stretch! :) That's like saying that A/C is more important in more northerly areas because the people down are used to wearing light clothes, and are acclimatized to the heat!

Actually you have that backwards, in a cold climate you wear a heavy jacket, so want the ambient temperature lower, and therefore have more need for a heated wheel to keep your fingers (that aren't in a jacket) warm. (especially with the touch screen controls which discourage (most) gloves)

If it's a priority-driven, supply constrained phase-in of the heated wheel, that's one thing. If, however, it turns it that not all cold weather packages are the same, based upon some vague gerrymandering, I think it's absurd. A person in Dallas, or anywhere, who pays for a cold weather package should have all of the components of the cold weather package. If my hands get cold easily, I shouldn't be denied a heated steering wheel because of my zip code.

When I first heard about the possibility that some "cold" regions receive the heated steering wheel I added the cold package to my order (on December 9); car entered production Dec 18. No luck, although I don't think anyone would argue MN is not the warmest place in US. It seems therefore there are 2 conditions to get this: 1. be in a region that is deemed "cold" AND 2. be lucky at the draw.

I think eventually the cold weather package will include heated steering wheel. For me it was an expensive gamble, as I have not much use for the rest of the winter package. I do not blame Tesla, as when I ordered there was heated wheel in the package description. Will make do with the remote climate control.

When I first heard about the possibility that some "cold" regions receive the heated steering wheel I added the cold package to my order (on December 9); car entered production Dec 18. No luck, although I don't think anyone would argue MN is not the warmest place in US. It seems therefore there are 2 conditions to get this: 1. be in a region that is deemed "cold" AND 2. be lucky at the draw.

I think eventually the cold weather package will include heated steering wheel. For me it was an expensive gamble, as I have not much use for the rest of the winter package. I do not blame Tesla, as when I ordered there was heated wheel in the package description. Will make do with the remote climate control.
What I find most interesting is that the production entered date doesn't dictate when they started adding the heated wheel feature...? I would think that "as of December 16 production start" (or something like this) you will have a heated steering wheel. Strange that it is hit/miss during this production time. I'm Dec. 15 production start - still waiting for my car which is still at Freemont :( - good news is that it is frickin' cold here this week so at least my car is warm :).

Yes, I took delivery Dec 29 in MA and was very happy to get the heated steering wheel (but no next gen seats, front or rear). I speculated in my delivery report thread that maybe Tesla was trying to balance out the love by giving fewer next gen seats to cars that got the heated steering wheel.

The heated wheel is really fantastic, by the way, and it feels like with the heated wheel on and the seat warmer on level 1 I can go without cabin heat for long periods of time (perhaps forever?) if I'm dressed for the winter. So even though it would have been great to get both the heated wheel and the next gen seats, if I had to pick one it would definitely be the heated wheel, especially since the seats will be swapped in but the heated wheel cannot be retrofitted.

I'm very close to confirming my S85D order with winter package. Would love love love that feature.
Just because someone else got it, doesn't imply you will. If you MUST have that feature, I'd suggest waiting until it becomes officially available on the order sheet. Otherwise you are just gambling. And if you don't get it, and it isn't available as a retrofit, you'd probably be sad sad sad. So perhaps just wait a bit bit bit and order what you want.