Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, nice to get an empathic response, at least my butt will be warm when we take a snow road trip.

I think we're in the same boat. Mine went into production 11/24 (still shows In Production). The heated steering wheel would be nice to have (my 2014 Silverado has one) but I won't lose a bit of sleep over not having it. I want my P85D ASAP - heated steering wheel be damned! :)

Mike

emailed my DS. My car entered production on 12/06 with the cold weather package. My DS stated that since it is already in production it will not have the heated steering wheel, so 12/01 doesn't seem to hold up.
I will be fairly ticked off if after taking the hit to upgrade my car to the latest and greatest, the car is already behind the latest feature set before I have even received it. It's not like I'm necessarily going to get my car any earlier than cars that would have this feature, given that they will probably start shipping all the built cars en masse.

I will be fairly ticked off if after taking the hit to upgrade my car to the latest and greatest, the car is already behind the latest feature set before I have even received it. It's not like I'm necessarily going to get my car any earlier than cars that would have this feature, given that they will probably start shipping all the built cars en masse.

Maybe it can be retrofitted?

Oh boy, here we go again....
Well I'm not going to throw myself off a bridge or cancel my order and delete all my posts or anything, but it definitely rankles. This isn't a critical feature but it's one that I'm used to from my last couple of ICEs and one of only a few things that I wished the car had. My decision to trade in was to get the other features I was missing and at no time have I complained about the fact that my first car was missing the auto pilot features. I knew that in time there could be new hardware features but I expected to at least be driving the car before it happened. Anyway I don't know for sure yet that this is the case, just saying.

Last year, I missed parking sensors by a week. Wasn't happy about that at all.
If our P85D shows up without this option, I swear to ***** **** ***** I will refuse delivery and re-order the same car with a 2015 VIN and heated steering wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully autopilot is so great I don't have to touch the steering wheel. :D
LOL

- - - Updated - - -

If our P85D shows up without this option, I swear to ***** **** ***** I will refuse delivery and re-order the same car with a 2015 VIN and heated steering wheel.
LOLOL!!!

Why did you order the car without a mandatory option for you then? I had the parking sensors retrofitted.

This really is just so odd to not have included with the P85D launch.

I may be in Miami, but I plan on doing some long road trips, and this would have been nice (and I did order the subzero package).
Assuming that some of us don't get the heated steering wheel:

I agree that if they knew heated steering wheel was imminent and they were making brand new P85D cars that were - in many cases - being bought by previous owners trying to get the latest technology, why would they allow a relative handful of them not to have the heated steering wheels. I guess they probably started building before the steering wheels were available and didn't want a hold up? :-(

Assuming that some of us don't get the heated steering wheel:

I agree that if they knew heated steering wheel was imminent and they were making brand new P85D cars that were - in many cases - being bought by previous owners trying to get the latest technology, why would they allow a relative handful of them not to have the heated steering wheels. I guess they probably started building before the steering wheels were available and didn't want a hold up? :-(

I'm one of the lucky ones in all this, but I feel for you guys who may wind up missing out by just a short time.

If, as you suggest, and as I expect, Tesla did have this planned all along, but just felt like they needed to start production to get enough P85Ds built this year, why not just prioritize the production order such that all cars that were to include the winter package would start production after December 8? Those owners never would have been given early delivery dates, and while they may have been scratching their heads and wondering why they were all slated for late December, there really wouldn't have been a whole lot to complain about. It seems that would have been a better solution.

On the other hand, perhaps Tesla plans to somehow "take care of" those P85D customers that did just miss the new heated steering wheel. I imagine we'll know a lot more in the next few days.

What if... (this is just a what if) the surprise is that not only is it a heated steering wheel but the steering wheel based on the Model X prototype with programmable touch buttons? That would be worth getting excited about!
tesla-model-x-steering-wheel.jpg