Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. I think it was from a DS. It could be as simple as a Christmas card delivered inside the car. Or a P85D shirt. The more I think about it, that seems far more likely than a new feature, LTE, etc. Yep, I'm going with P85D hat, water bottle, or shirt. Shirts are tough because of sizing. Hat, water bottle, or some other item with a Tesla logo.

That would be great, It will save me hand removing the plus from my P85+ shirt and sewing on a D.

Ummm, wasn't this just one DS who said "may be" there would be a surprise? Yeah, I'm probably bursting a few bubbles but we're good at getting ourselves excited based on tiny indicators and then we have the big downer when everyone is disappointed.

I am quite confident that the ACC feature is due for release very soon. I'd rather not go into the details of why I believe this but I did my DD and would be highly surprised if it would be just a story...

Ugh, no--I love the tactile buttons on the wheel. I especially love that you can operate basic functions without taking your gloves off. I do hope they don't get rid of them in favor of more touch screens.
Maybe you should buy some New Tesla driving gloves they allow you to use touch screens. Of course with a heated steering wheel you wouldn't need gloves.

I just got a call back from my DS to give me an update (still in quality checks, no firm delivery date yet, the usual...) so I asked him about the heated steering wheel and he said "it's a 50/50 shot at this point". He said he'd inquire with his contact at the factory and let me know (that, and what actual seats they ended up installing in my P85D!)

Do you guys think the heated steering wheel is going to look and feel pretty much exactly like the regular steering wheel, and the only difference is going to be that somehow it is going to be heated internally, or do you think it is going to be a radically different steering wheel?

Do you guys think the heated steering wheel is going to look and feel pretty much exactly like the regular steering wheel, and the only difference is going to be that somehow it is going to be heated internally, or do you think it is going to be a radically different steering wheel?

I will guess it will look exactly the same. In fact, I bet Tesla didn't even add a button on the wheel to turn it on. You'll have to use the center console or the menus accessible via the steering wheel controls.

Just read that somebody's DS said "absolutely no heated steering wheel in 2014" and yet - my DS is saying 99.9% certain. Who knows...

I did want to come back and deflate the "surprise" a bit. I pressed him for it and it's not really a surprise - he said that the automatic closing charge port is now rolling out and is expected to be included in my build. The P85D demo tester had it - but that was already a known "Elon Musk What's New" update. But seemingly not all of the cars made after his announcement have that feature. My DS has been amazing to work with - but I think he spun me up a little much with calling that a "surprise" :) I was hoping for something secret.

Time to go write another note to my DS...

Just asked my DS and received this word on my P85D order... "I am 99.9% your car will come with the heated steering wheel ..... Your car is in the correct build week and region to receive it." But there's no build sheet for it. The DS also said "There may be one other surprise as well." for which I'm not going to press my luck with finding out what that means. I'm hoping to unwrap my P85D by Christmas and I know what happened when I was 8 years old and discovered my stash of presents early. I'm waiting for delivery to find out...

Mod Note: This thread was created out discussions that started on 3 other threads and pulled together here for clarity and to avoid duplication. In that situation, moderators write the thread title.

Just read that somebody's DS said "absolutely no heated steering wheel in 2014" and yet - my DS is saying 99.9% certain. Who knows...

I did want to come back and deflate the "surprise" a bit. I pressed him for it and it's not really a surprise - he said that the automatic closing charge port is now rolling out and is expected to be included in my build. The P85D demo tester had it - but that was already a known "Elon Musk What's New" update. But seemingly not all of the cars made after his announcement have that feature. My DS has been amazing to work with - but I think he spun me up a little much with calling that a "surprise" :) I was hoping for something secret.

Time to go write another note to my DS...

The powered/auto closing charge port door was announced to be included with the P85D. It would be a miss if a customer car is delivered w/o this feature. Hardly a surprise.

My DS wrote me to say that the heated steering wheel will become part of the Sub Zero package 'starting early next year'. Meanwhile, the factory has 'some' of the new parts and they're being allocated to cars destined for 'highly cold places'. Didn't specify whether it was D's only that will be getting them.

Make of that what you will. I say, you pays your money and you takes your chances...