Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, rear radar :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brightened.jpg

Pretty decent "aftermarket" job, I would say

Last edited:
good news is looks like all that needs to be done is unbolt the diffuser plate, quick count is 5 - 7 10mm bolts. considered removing the bumper cover but there are far too many clips and other things going on. diffuser should be the fastest / easiest.

bad news, its was too freaking cold and windy outside to play with the model 3.

It seems like odd placement for rear radar. This would be analogous to the FOV of front radar, where it can read speeds of distant objects in all lanes and close-up objects right behind it.

Most cars implementing forward or rear cross traffic detection use directional radar on corners. Either front, rear, or all 4 corners like you see in the Audi Q7. The 4 corner solution also allows you to get rid of the center radar in the front and that effectively gives you redundant dual forward radar plus cross-traffic visibility and oncoming traffic discrimination.

It just seems odd to put a center radar in the back. Unless your rear camera view solution is really not gonna work, or you want to implement something like rear-ending-avoidance in the short run.

Reactions: sdoorex and croman
The full official sheet that came with my Model 3 (in car, not sure the official name for it) said that it had 7 active AP cameras, which I always thought was weird.

I guess it makes sense now as this implies the backup camera is not used for Autopilot functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA