Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, rear radar :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The full official sheet that came with my Model 3 (in car, not sure the official name for it) said that it had 7 active AP cameras, which I always thought was weird.

I guess it makes sense now as this implies the backup camera is not used for Autopilot functionality.

They need to have rearward camera(s) to identify e.g. emergency vehicles, don't they? And the rearward looking side cameras do not cover the entire field of rearward vision. Therefore I don't see any alternative to using the backup camera for AP.

FSD is silicon snake oil. Never going to happen with the current sensor suite.

The sensors available for AP2.5 are plenty to make FSD happen. The only question I have is whether or not the processing power onboard is up to the task. That question is less important, because Tesla have said if you purchase FSD now, they will upgrade your hardware should it need upgrading. I'm still not buying FSD until it's legal to use, but the sensors aren't the problem here at all.

FSD is silicon snake oil. Never going to happen with the current sensor suite.

You're driving with what essentially amounts to two cameras and a CPU. I don't see why it would be obvious that the same can't be done with sufficiently advanced hardware and software. The current suite may not have enough processing power but it's upgradable.

Reactions: Pentium2004
Given the fact that Tesla uses Bosch as the front radar I would assume that (if) they would use the "rear" version of the radar:

REAR VERSION:
Mid-range radar sensor (MRR rear)

FRONT (LONG RANGE ~250meters) VERSION:
Long-range radar sensor

From the pictures I would say that it's indeed possible that it is a rear radar unit from Bosch ...

It’s not, it’s a conti radar, Tesla moves away from Bosch with the m3

What is that color? And where do I get it done?

This is the factory Deep Blue Metallic paint with an Xpel Stealth wrap

Looks like one that unplugged performance did.

Here is another pic from their shop:

View attachment 281201

Good eye!

@UnpluggedP Can you give us any information on this car? Did you install a radar/laser system in it?

We added our lowering springs, carbon ceramic brake kit, UP-03 wheels, window tint, Xpel stealth wrap and chrome delete. That is a factory sensor and not something we added.

Here are a few more pics:
26112426_1851461784926685_8246406671257406228_n.jpg
23622478_1787632394642958_2420183644512120355_n.jpg
26219893_1864813310258199_172910126654474126_n (1).jpg
27460040_1901439553262241_4035072114779327904_n.jpg

Unplugged Performance

Thanks @UnpluggedP. It's settled, then: Tesla Model 3 sports a rear-facing radar sensor in the rear bumper.

Sing with me:

34d9743b1c_101305107_o2.gif
Sounds like AP2.0 owners will need more than just a new computer for FSD. Although, adding that radar shouldn't break the bank for Tesla. I wonder if they will raise the price of buying FSD after-the-fact for AP2.0 owners.

Thanks @UnpluggedP. It's settled, then: Tesla Model 3 sports a rear-facing radar sensor in the rear bumper.

Sing with me:

34d9743b1c_101305107_o2.gif

Well, I just re-read my Model 3 window sticker, and here's the exact language (I can upload a copy for anyone that wants to see it):

"Safety

Seven cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors"

This begs the questions, why only 7 cameras? Doesn't HW2.5 have 8 active cameras?

My assumption is the back-up camera is NOT an active AP camera. Why they did this, we can only speculate.

Sounds like AP2.0 owners will need more than just a new computer for FSD. Although, adding that radar shouldn't break the bank for Tesla. I wonder if they will raise the price of buying FSD after-the-fact for AP2.0 owners.
The problem of adding new sensors isn't the cost - its the wiring and time it will take to add them and maybe replacements of old body panels that aren't compatible with the sensors...