Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, rear radar :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear radar. Fantasic. Echolocation in the back of my head. Any possibility that Tesla sent out M3's with this hardware for information gathering rather than a final add on for new hardware?

All the cameras except backup camera have a matching NN now (used or unused).
In 17.50.2 (the last firmware I had on my car) it appeared that only main_narrow NN was active. I have no way of knowing about what current firmwares do (but it's a safe bet the rain sensing NN is now active since 17.50.3). The NNs themselves did not change for quite a while now (like since November) which is probably a sign they are happy with their performance so far.

That's very interesting. So, obviously, this is all crazy speculation, but do you have the impression that the share NN is basically a common feature extraction layer, and they will drive the EAP (and eventually FSD) logic through other NNs and/or custom logic?

That's very interesting. So, obviously, this is all crazy speculation, but do you have the impression that the share NN is basically a common feature extraction layer, and they will drive the EAP (and eventually FSD) logic through other NNs and/or custom logic?
Currently NNs are used 100% for vision only, all the driving logic is implemented in regular code.

Am I off base here, or is the main reason for a center mounted rear facing radar regarding FSD to allow safer operation in reverse?
My other main thought is safety. Definitely could fire pretensioners and lock brakes (if stopped) to reduce injury risk. Also could engage rear lights on imminent collision to try and warn offending driver.
More situation dependent: use the information to move forward to increase time before a rear end collision occurs, but that might make things worse depending on spacing to the vehicle in front and the colliding vehicle's reaction (rear end only vs according into front vehicle).

The position seems like it will be blocked by trailing cars in the same lane and thus questionable in terms of help for lane changes with overtaking vehicles (better handled by the side cameras). Although, it would help if a same lane vehicle was approaching quickly as that could indicate an impending overtake manuver.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Screenshots from the video @bjornb posted upthread:

rrdr1.jpg

rrdr2.jpg

rrdr3.jpg

rrdr4.jpg

Thank you. So from this, we can infer that all AP2.5 cars have the rear radar. We can't assume that AP2 requires the rear radar for FSD, but it is the path forward and is likely needed for level 5 autonomy. FSD would likely require greater rear distance visibility for lane changing than a level 3 or 4 autonomous car.
For FSD, does this mean they have the hardware they need? Seems like they have been on this path for about 9 months now and have not made additional hardware changes. I do see the FSD progress as a risk and I can see this as a sign of evolution and risk, but also progress and derisking. I don't think the radar is just being installed to gather more metadata for all cars. It could be a metadata bonus, but seems more suited to providing greater understanding of the space around the car.
The cost of the device is pretty cheap, how many AP2 cars are out there and what would it cost to install the radar system during normal service? Seems like it could be under $250 per car, but could be $1k per car. It would be great to understand the backward looking risk and the opportunity in understanding if Tesla has the hardware solved for FSD. Some have expressed doubt that they had the right hardware, maybe this is evidence they did need more hardware, but have quietly resolved the issue, and maybe they have quietly resolved many other issues, under the radar, without our knowledge.