Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my S90D last Friday and was super happy about it, there was some trim mis-alignment on delivery but nothing serious. Today, I was showing off the car to my brother in-law and noticed something very wrong with the A-Pillar. On the passenger side where it touches the front of the windshield, the aluminium was actually cracked and there is a gaping hole to the inside! There is no way that I would have actually caused this and you can see that they painted the crack part as well. I have emailed my delivery person and am super sad about this as I don't know how they can actually replace that part without ripping apart the car. This cracked part is obviously unacceptable but I don't want them to cause more issues ripping it apart to replace it. What should I do?

index.php
index.php

Attachments

• IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 19,827
  • IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 20,241
Last edited by a moderator:
Darn, this car is only 4 days old...
I hope they won't think I caused it somehow as I didn't see it in delivery day. How can the delivery folks not see this as they are prepping the car? Would have been obvious on a wash. I don't even know how can the part be replaced without taking apart a lot of things. If I saw this on delivery, I would have asked for a different car...

That is ridiculous! How does that pass QC/QA? Someone needs a scolding. No way you did that... how would you even do it? I feel bad for you... even if they give you a Model S loaner, it sucks to be without the car you designed and waited for. What type of mis-alignments did you have? Make sure you give them a list of items that are wrong and have them fix them all while you are without your car for what will probably be months....

I'm so sorry to see your new car looking like that from delivery. I was actually quite shocked by the photos. That's not a minor surface crack. After looking at your photos, I don't know how the factory or your local service center where I assume you picked it up from could have passed that car. The guys that detailed the car for pickup surely saw that and something like that should have been mentioned and honestly I think they should have rejected delivering it to you. IMO that's embarrassing it was delivered to you. Maybe that's naive of me to believe.

As noticeable in the photo as it is I can understand an owner being all excited at delivery and not noticing. I know from picking up our car a few weeks ago there was so much to look over including the interior and features you ordered. I know we gave the hood, bumpers, trunk and side body a decent looking over (albeit in the shadows of the open SvC garage) but don't think either one of us took a good look at the windows or wiper area. If there was an obvious crack in the glass that we would have noticed. Guess this is a warning to future owners picking up their cars where to check. Given it's the A-pillar and structural component, I personally would ask for them to take it back and give me another car. Let us know how you make out getting this rectified. And if you run into resistance, I'd send photos directly to Elon.

I emailed the pics to the service center and my delivery speaclist last night. Got a call from them this morning to bring it in at 11am. The service center place said this need to go to their "certified body shop" for an evaluation. Unforunately, there is only 2 body shop in the greater Toronto area and they are pretty busy. Once it gets there, they'll decided what part to order and rebuild. Not sure how long it will take, but I am concerned due to all the horror stories I've heard on months and months to wait. It really sucks to have to do major body work on a brand new car and then be without it for months just 4 days after delivery.

If I had seen this, I would have refused delivery... at this point, I almost wish they'll just take this back and build a new one.

Tesla obviously needs some better QC. Since Elon wants to run the production line at crazy fast speeds I would say more digital scanning for production errors needs to occur.

Assuming the error is just in the pillar skin and not in the pillar itself I wouldn't worry about it too much and just have Tesla fix it. See how much free stuff and money back you can get out of them. If they need to cut out the whole pillar I would ask for a new car.

Reactions: neroden