Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Tesla was founded in 2003, years and years before Lucid delivered their first car. Tesla has at least proved itself, has millions of cars on the road, and their stock is doing amazingly well. They also sell thousands of battery systems and have the best charging network anywhere. Lucid who?
Yeah, founded in 2007, but did not start the car side of things until 2016.

And I remember some shenanigans about that too, they were bringing back an abandoned effort at one point, with new investors.

ETA, OK, not exactly, but it was touch and go for a while. They've had a colorful VC history. 2017 article:

Last edited:
If I look at these numbers, it sure appears that I can slide wider and taller items into the Mach-E. The Tesla seems to have the advantage with depth. I did cross-check these numbers from several sources on the web, though have not personally measured both. It would be interesting to find out from an owner of both which turns out to be more practical.
I don't think opening height matters with the Model Y because the entire hatch opening is cavernous due to the slanted opening.

I do however have two problems with the Model Y that my ID.4 did better (which to has a larger cargo space than the Mach-E - I test drove the Mach-E when I owned the ID.4)

1) The width of the opening is narrower on the Model Y than I'd prefer (matches your numbers above). Limits fitting wide things in.
2) The sloped hatch loses some cargo space and it's not easy to estimate how much is lost.

The flatter top and wider ID.4 had technically less rear cargo space but the square space is more usable. I think the Mach-E is wide but when I test drove it and examine the rear cargo space it felt smaller. I guess because it didn't have the length of my ID.4 so it felt like a RAV4 sized instead of an Outback (bad comparison but that was my first sense). Like cramped.

In short, the Model Y seems great for tall and lengthy things that aren't wide. The ID.4 is amazing for boxy/wide things because it is shaped more like a square box in the rear. And Mach-E is a shorter (length-wise from back to front) but a wider than the Model Y.

Now owning a Model Y... it really does feel like a VW Beetle with in SUV form.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 23, 12 14 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 12 14 25 PM.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 64
I don't think opening height matters with the Model Y because the entire hatch opening is cavernous due to the slanted opening.

I do however have two problems with the Model Y that my ID.4 did better (which to has a larger cargo space than the Mach-E - I test drove the Mach-E when I owned the ID.4)

1) The width of the opening is narrower on the Model Y than I'd prefer (matches your numbers above). Limits fitting wide things in.
2) The sloped hatch loses some cargo space and it's not easy to estimate how much is lost.

The flatter top and wider ID.4 had technically less rear cargo space but the square space is more usable. I think the Mach-E is wide but when I test drove it and examine the rear cargo space it felt smaller. I guess because it didn't have the length of my ID.4 so it felt like a RAV4 sized instead of an Outback (bad comparison but that was my first sense). Like cramped.

In short, the Model Y seems great for tall and lengthy things that aren't wide. The ID.4 is amazing for boxy/wide things because it is shaped more like a square box in the rear. And Mach-E is a shorter (length-wise from back to front) but a wider than the Model Y.

Now owning a Model Y... it really does feel like a VW Beetle with in SUV form.
“VWbeetle in SUV form” Don’t know what that supposed to mean. Model Y is bloated model 3.

The Mach-E doesn’t have a trunk, but it does have a rear cargo area. And this one is important to me, since I will be using it a lot to transport my bike, keyboard, and other large items. Tesla claims a larger cargo volume than the Mach-E (76 ft^3 vs 68 ft^3). However, I find the width and height of the back hatch are often the most important parameters for fitting in large items.
If you saw both the Mach-E and Model Y, you know that the Model Y has a lot more space. But anyway, for large items I rent a trailer even though I drive an SUV that is quite bigger than Mach-E or Model Y. Based on this utilitarian view, the Mach-E is out of consideration because it is not rated for towing.

If you saw both the Mach-E and Model Y, you know that the Model Y has a lot more space. But anyway, for large items I rent a trailer even though I drive an SUV that is quite bigger than Mach-E or Model Y. Based on this utilitarian view, the Mach-E is out of consideration because it is not rated for towing.
Well I have seen both. Appearance wise the Y certainly does look roomier, but as all interior decorators know, a space can feel larger or smaller depending on layout. That big panoramic does help the Model Y appear spacious. For transporting cargo, hard numbers matter more. Sometimes it is nice just to have a few more inches of width or height, especially when transporting that brand new TV or grill or loveseat.

Here are a few screenshots off of a YouTube video showing a luggage test for the two cars. Not a scientific test, but it is clear from this shot that she was able to fit these two suitcases side by side in the Mach-E but not the Model Y. She did conclude in the end that there wasn’t a clear winner.

D34B43DC-3F07-463D-AAA9-6FD658B44FC3.jpeg

830085F8-DC17-4C20-B3D1-07E546600F25.jpeg

Yea... NO.
The sloping rear hatch loses a lot of usable cargo space like the weird Bettle rear too. My Model Y is small and has some weird design choice probably because it was based on a Model 3 (a near perfect sedan). The rear cargo is not square and a little narrow. Maybe I want an Outback… or heck my old ID.4 space.

Also the sloped back is the cause of the poor(basically non existent) rear visibility. The Y should have stuck to a traditional flat back with rear wipers.

The sloping rear hatch loses a lot of usable cargo space like the weird Bettle rear too. My Model Y is small and has some weird design choice probably because it was based on a Model 3 (a near perfect sedan). The rear cargo is not square and a little narrow. Maybe I want an Outback… or heck my old ID.4 space.
Doesn't matter what you think it is, it's not anything remotely similar to a beetle.

Doesn't matter what you think it is, it's not anything remotely similar to a beetle.

Its not like the Y is like some amazing handling vehicle. Maybe it’s nostalgia… but the Y has the same mushy handling and sparse interior. The 3 is a completely different beast and understand why it is the best selling car in Europe.

This woman does a couple of videos comparing the cargo capacity of the Y and the MME:

And a shorter segment at about 4:50 in this one:

Edit: lots of activity between the time I started composing this and the time it posted!

Last edited:
Well I have seen both. Appearance wise the Y certainly does look roomier, but as all interior decorators know, a space can feel larger or smaller depending on layout. That big panoramic does help the Model Y appear spacious. For transporting cargo, hard numbers matter more. Sometimes it is nice just to have a few more inches of width or height, especially when transporting that brand new TV or grill or loveseat.

Here are a few screenshots off of a YouTube video showing a luggage test for the two cars. Not a scientific test, but it is clear from this shot that she was able to fit these two suitcases side by side in the Mach-E but not the Model Y. She did conclude in the end that there wasn’t a clear winner.
Model Y may be a little bit narrower inside than the Mach-E. I saw that video too. All she had to do is to rotate the bags 90 degrees and shovel them into Model Y one by one. By the way check out her new video published yesterday: