Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And #3 is about to be done too, I think...
I hate getting the news that something awesome is coming and then have to wait what seems to be forever for a software update to appear. When Microsoft sends out a new update, I can get it immediately if I want it...or wait until I get it through scheduling. With Tesla, we have to wait until some algorithm decides to push the update to us.

I hate getting the news that something awesome is coming and then have to wait what seems to be forever for a software update to appear. When Microsoft sends out a new update, I can get it immediately if I want it...or wait until I get it through scheduling. With Tesla, we have to wait until some algorithm decides to push the update to us.
wwhat? you can't wait a week or two? I am still waiting for software update (in any form) for my Honda Accord .. after 8 years.

Yes, I remember that wonderful experience when I could upgrade Windows using a stack of 1.44 MB 3.5" FDs.

I actually like the looks of the Mach E but the battery cooling issues would be a reason for me to stay away from that car until they fix the issue.. If you drive the car downhill a lot, regen will eventually overheat the battery.. They need to re-design their cooling.. Tesla has horrible customer support but the product is amazing. Quality is improving too..

I actually like the looks of the Mach E but the battery cooling issues would be a reason for me to stay away from that car until they fix the issue.. If you drive the car downhill a lot, regen will eventually overheat the battery.. They need to re-design their cooling.. Tesla has horrible customer support but the product is amazing. Quality is improving too..
I believe that Ford screwed up the Mach-E engineering based on both overheating and multiple reported instances of what seems to be drive train failure of unknown nature (could be overheating or even software errors).

Customer support ... I yet to see a car company that has customer support that can be classified anywhere higher than horrible. In case of Tesla, at least, customers don't need support for most of the time. I only had to get to Tesla service once in 2.5 years to fix the seat occupancy monitor and my experience with them was smooth and uneventful. For some reason, I like Tesla that is focused on continuous improvement of the product rather than other companies that are focused on continuous customer satisfucktion.

Just read 2007 story on Tesla in Vanity Fair ""I expect it to be a raging success," Musk says. "Honestly? I expect Tesla to be worth multiple billions of dollars."" 🥲

I believe that Ford screwed up the Mach-E engineering based on both overheating and multiple reported instances of what seems to be drive train failure of unknown nature (could be overheating or even software errors).

Customer support ... I yet to see a car company that has customer support that can be classified anywhere higher than horrible. In case of Tesla, at least, customers don't need support for most of the time. I only had to get to Tesla service once in 2.5 years to fix the seat occupancy monitor and my experience with them was smooth and uneventful. For some reason, I like Tesla that is focused on continuous improvement of the product rather than other companies that are focused on continuous customer satisfucktion.

Just read 2007 story on Tesla in Vanity Fair ""I expect it to be a raging success," Musk says. "Honestly? I expect Tesla to be worth multiple billions of dollars."" 🥲
Ford is new to the game and need to learn.. The cooling system will need a re-design.. I doubt that there will be a "fix" for existing Mach E's..
The only EV brand that I'm impressed with (other than Tesla) is LUCID.. They seem to have a very fine product.. If they come out with a SUV that has a comparable price to Tesla, I will give it a look.. While I love my Model Y LR, I'm not blind to other companies and LUCID seems to have impressive technology.. For me, they are the ONLY formidable competitor to Tesla in the EV market.. The rest is 8+ years behind Tesla..

Ford is new to the game and need to learn.. The cooling system will need a re-design.. I doubt that there will be a "fix" for existing Mach E's..
The only EV brand that I'm impressed with (other than Tesla) is LUCID.. They seem to have a very fine product.. If they come out with a SUV that has a comparable price to Tesla, I will give it a look.. While I love my Model Y LR, I'm not blind to other companies and LUCID seems to have impressive technology.. For me, they are the ONLY formidable competitor to Tesla in the EV market.. The rest is 8+ years behind Tesla..
It helps that Lucid has some very key Tesla people in some very key positions. That's the same for Rivian as well. You can see the Tesla DNA permeate from these two company's products. The thing I like about Lucid is that they actually delivered customer cars when they said they would.

Reactions: FloridaSun
For me, the problem with LUCID and RIVIAN is that they are now where Tesla was 10-12 years ago in customer support (even though their hardware might be good). It will take many years for them to build customer support infrastructure. If I happen to live by the RIVIAN factory, I'd be willing to look at thier truck more seriously. For now, with unknown reliability, unknown company future, and no service and support, I would pass.

Reactions: WhiteWi
For me, the problem with LUCID and RIVIAN is that they are now where Tesla was 10-12 years ago in customer support (even though their hardware might be good). It will take many years for them to build customer support infrastructure. If I happen to live by the RIVIAN factory, I'd be willing to look at thier truck more seriously. For now, with unknown reliability, unknown company future, and no service and support, I would pass.
That's not being fair man. I agree they are way behind on logistics and support and that obviously is what it is, they just started production. And let's not blow too much smoke up Tesla's arse they still have miles to go in customer support. Anyways Lucid and Rivian are just starting out. However they are not where Tesla was at the beginning. In fact they are at a much higher level technology wise and let's not ignore the fact that there are crucial Tesla people involved so they got to leapfrog over a lot of the early hurdles that Tesla had to deal with. And on that point, Lucid and Rivian are really lucky to be able to follow in Tesla's footsteps. I fundamentally side with the pure plays in Lucid and Rivian over legacy auto. Legacy auto can go suck a big one lol. But Lucid and Rivian, they are generally doing things according to the road map Tesla laid out. Ofc they are both going to have to deal with production hell and then customer service hell, so there's a lot to wait and see obviously but here's to hoping they succeed. We need to welcome more pure plays.

Reactions: tm1v2
Sure, but at least they have a decent charging network. When Tesla was new, they had to build their network from scratch. I'm looking just at the technology and what I see is impressive and of course, having former Tesla people was very beneficial for LUCID and RIVIAN. While I'm not into Sedans as I need more space, Tesla is my only choice for now but if either Rivian or Lucid come out with a competitively priced SUV, it will be part of my consideration.

I agree, Lucid are the only ones to match Tesla right out the gate. The Air doesn't appeal to me as a product, Model S looks so much better and has the hatch, but Lucid's EV tech and efficiency is legit and I think they're going to take a better path on driver assist than Tesla.

Note the 500 mile Air is a cheat. Lucid did it by filling up the rear footwell with batteries. The back seat is even worse for adults than the Model 3, think knees in your face. HOWEVER, even without the footwell batteries it gets 400 miles and matches the latest Model S. That's still impressive for their first product out the gate, nobody else has matched the S yet.

That's not being fair man. I agree they are way behind on logistics and support and that obviously is what it is, they just started production. And let's not blow too much smoke up Tesla's arse they still have miles to go in customer support. Anyways Lucid and Rivian are just starting out. However they are not where Tesla was at the beginning. In fact they are at a much higher level technology wise and let's not ignore the fact that there are crucial Tesla people involved so they got to leapfrog over a lot of the early hurdles that Tesla had to deal with. And on that point, Lucid and Rivian are really lucky to be able to follow in Tesla's footsteps. I fundamentally side with the pure plays in Lucid and Rivian over legacy auto. Legacy auto can go suck a big one lol. But Lucid and Rivian, they are generally doing things according to the road map Tesla laid out. Ofc they are both going to have to deal with production hell and then customer service hell, so there's a lot to wait and see obviously but here's to hoping they succeed. We need to welcome more pure plays.
I am sorry, but I just have no financial resources to side with Lucid, Rivian, or Tesla just based on the fact they are good guys doing right things. I literally researched Tesla finances in 2019 (and concluded that Tesla is not going away anytime soon despite all the FUD of TSLAQ) before placing my order for Model 3. I'm not a gambler or investor.

Sure, but at least they have a decent charging network. When Tesla was new, they had to build their network from scratch. I'm looking just at the technology and what I see is impressive and of course, having former Tesla people was very beneficial for LUCID and RIVIAN. While I'm not into Sedans as I need more space, Tesla is my only choice for now but if either Rivian or Lucid come out with a competitively priced SUV, it will be part of my consideration.
Sure, I agree, we (and Lucid with Rivian) are in a much better place now historically, politically, and technologically for EVs. Developing manufacturing capacity in the auto industry is painfully slow no matter how much capital and cool tech you have. Production and sales of current Rivian and Lucid (especially, Lucid) offerings are very limited. Making a cheaper higher-volume model is harder, and it always was much harder for ICE manufacturers too. If Rivian remains in the high-end priced truck and SUV market, its current valuation is simply $tupid, and it will be not long we'll see RIVNQ hordes. Moving to a lower-price segment and higher-volume production will take no less than 5 years for them IMHO and they will go through the purgatory of scaling up. My bet it that Rivian and Lucid will be soon absorbed by Toyota, Ford, or GM as high-end EV brands of the big companies. We just need to wait a year or two for RIVN to go down >90% from where it is now.

Reactions: chinney and mrwug
I agree, Lucid are the only ones to match Tesla right out the gate. The Air doesn't appeal to me as a product, Model S looks so much better and has the hatch, but Lucid's EV tech and efficiency is legit and I think they're going to take a better path on driver assist than Tesla.

Note the 500 mile Air is a cheat. Lucid did it by filling up the rear footwell with batteries. The back seat is even worse for adults than the Model 3, think knees in your face. HOWEVER, even without the footwell batteries it gets 400 miles and matches the latest Model S. That's still impressive for their first product out the gate, nobody else has matched the S yet.
That said...I'm really not excited about the Lucid Air itself. Not at all. It's obviously aimed right at the Model S, and even if the range + performance matches up I like the Model S so much more. I hope Lucid's next car is more uniquely compelling.

I am excited about the Rivian R1T/R1S. They're inefficient bricks that can't match Tesla or Lucid for range even with a huge battery, but they are uniquely compelling EV products. Quad motors! 😍

Reactions: cusetownusa
Lucid is fraud at this point.

Reactions: OxBrew