Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If by all these reports this is the new navigation then it is a huge let down to what was promised. Cruel April Fools joke.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything impressive. They're still over a year late on the promised major interface changes that I believe were promised to happen in December 2016 / January 2017!
I'll be impressed when they add the option for multiple stops, give you multiple route options, and generally at least come close to the level of Google, Waze, or Apple maps.
When they switched over to AP 2.0 and realized how much trouble they were going to have making it equivalent to 1.0 (which they still haven't done), they basically forgot about every else they'd promised. And now with Model 3, they've gotten even further behind. Personally, I think that the Model 3 should have come out about another year later, when they had time to get everything right on S/X first, figure out the production line, figure out their quality control issues, and actually deliver the 3 as a finished product.

Reactions: mrElbe
I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything impressive. They're still over a year late on the promised major interface changes that I believe were promised to happen in December 2016 / January 2017!
I'll be impressed when they add the option for multiple stops, give you multiple route options, and generally at least come close to the level of Google, Waze, or Apple maps.
When they switched over to AP 2.0 and realized how much trouble they were going to have making it equivalent to 1.0 (which they still haven't done), they basically forgot about every else they'd promised. And now with Model 3, they've gotten even further behind. Personally, I think that the Model 3 should have come out about another year later, when they had time to get everything right on S/X first, figure out the production line, figure out their quality control issues, and actually deliver the 3 as a finished product.
I would love to have Waze integration and route options.

Based on past experience with major Tesla releases...

The new navigation software should look great on the dashboard and console displays.

There will be a few features that are a significant improvement over the current navigation app (even if all they did was use more up-to-date maps - that would be a huge improvement!).

And there will be some aspects of the software we'll look at and wonder - what were they thinking...

Even if the initial release is rough, as long as Tesla continues to have a team working on improvements to the navigation app, we should see it get better over time.

Unlike the previous app, the new app is critical for EAP/FSD - and will likely need the same type of software investment as AP software - because the NAV app will be responsible for telling the AP software where to drive, and the bad routes (like what we've seen with the current NAV software) would not be acceptable (such as trying to use highway entry/exit ramps that were moved or closed in the last 2-3 years).

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
34CB841C-B04F-4EF5-B353-CAC7D52D755B.jpeg
Well, the new maps have officially started rolling out to older Teslas. Just got in my car to drive home from work and got a screen showing that my car has the new navigation (beta). It shows up like a firmware update, but just downloaded and installed itself overnight. At least for now, no changes except the turn by turn directions in the IC display.

View attachment 290656
Well, the new maps have officially started rolling out to older Teslas. Just got in my car to drive home from work and got a screen showing that my car has the new navigation (beta). It shows up like a firmware update, but just downloaded and installed itself overnight. At least for now, no changes except the turn by turn directions in the IC display.
Is there any improvement in the actual routing?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Maybe there's a lot of back end changes that don't show in the interface, but I've watched the videos posted in this thread and nothing strikes me as light years ahead. Honestly, if someone hadn't pointed it out I'm not sure I even would have noticed.

@verygreen already said the backend changed but he said it wasn't clear that was better as navigon's backend allowed a ton functionality that Tesla never implemented and he wasn't terribly impressed with this nav update 9 months ago and Tesla doesn't seem to have done much to change that assessment and I trust VG 1000x more than Tesla or Elon (hype master extraordinaire!).

Reactions: boaterva
Maybe there's a lot of back end changes that don't show in the interface, but I've watched the videos posted in this thread and nothing strikes me as light years ahead. Honestly, if someone hadn't pointed it out I'm not sure I even would have noticed.
Same here. I even commented last weekend how my car had the new IC and people seemed to think that wasn’t the new nav since Elon said it would be “light years” ahead. So I assumed a bigger change was coming.

Same here. I even commented last weekend how my car had the new IC and people seemed to think that wasn’t the new nav since Elon said it would be “light years” ahead. So I assumed a bigger change was coming.

FWIW, I find the new-style nav presentation in our Model 3 indeed light-years ahead of the now-being-phased-out old Model S/X style. Subtle, smooth auto-zooming. Bubbled cross streets. Clear lane indication. Perspective rendering.

Hoping for the same to soon arrive in our S.

FWIW, I find the new-style nav presentation in our Model 3 indeed light-years ahead of the now-being-phased-out old Model S/X style. Subtle, smooth auto-zooming. Bubbled cross streets. Clear lane indication. Perspective rendering.

Hoping for the same to soon arrive in our S.
Now that you mention it, the speed sensitive auto zoom is really great. I do like the lane indicator and bubbled streets a lot too. I think it’s a lot of subtle things. I think a lot of us took light years ahead as meaning huge changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: anonymouse