Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have Waze integration and route options.

Just a bit of info. I read one guy did a massive study comparing navigations. Did hundreds of routes etc...
He concluded that even though waze says it will get you there quicker, google maps actually DID get you there quicker.

I tend to believe his findings based on my years of experience with waze.

I now stick to my google maps as and just use waze to compare. I do indeed find google maps is better.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
Now that you mention it, the speed sensitive auto zoom is really great. I do like the lane indicator and bubbled streets a lot too. I think it’s a lot of subtle things. I think a lot of us took light years ahead as meaning huge changes.
Lane indicator was there in the old nav too. Old nav also had "distance to next turn" that's now gone. The cards (now gone, not everybody liked those, lane indicator is no replacement because it's often misleading as I shown it in my video back then). Even zoom was there (not to such a degree. BTW zoom does not appear to be speed sensitive but rather is based on how far away the next turn is. Far away? zoom out, just nearby? zoom in.

If by all these reports this is the new navigation then it is a huge let down to what was promised. Cruel April Fools joke.
Musk is full of sh*t 90% of the time. Remember the "end of range anxiety" press conference? Route Planner is still in beta, after what, 4 years? And now he replaces our functional, release version navigation with a beta software that probably is one step back from where we were before.

Because we all want BETA navigation software??? Sometimes I wonder where Elon's head is at.

Last edited:
View attachment 290656
Well, the new maps have officially started rolling out to older Teslas. Just got in my car to drive home from work and got a screen showing that my car has the new navigation (beta). It shows up like a firmware update, but just downloaded and installed itself overnight. At least for now, no changes except the turn by turn directions in the IC display.

What Fw Version were you running when you got the map updates?

Just a bit of info. I read one guy did a massive study comparing navigations. Did hundreds of routes etc...
He concluded that even though waze says it will get you there quicker, google maps actually DID get you there quicker.

I now stick to my google maps as and just use waze to compare. I do indeed find google maps is better.

I saw that study also. The theory (he couldnt't prove it) was that Waze had some ads built into it, and that MAY have been affecting the routing (so you drive by an advertiser, assuming it doesn't add any remarkable time). Waze also gives you optimistic time estimates so that you feel like it's routing you faster, but when actually timed, Waze was not the quickest (although it wasn't terrible). Apple Maps was the least optimistic with the time estimate, although it wasn't bad at routing. You would just beat the time every time. Google Maps was rated as the most accurate time estimate, as well as the best routing time. I believe each (in actual route time) was within a few minutes of each other in actual practice.

I just got an update to version: 2018.12 5eadc71. Honestly can't tell much of a difference with the new update. I'm wondering if there will be additional downloads to assist before I see a change.

Until you see the release notes that tell you about the new navigation system you don't have it. (We have been told that it has to download the 5-6GB of maps, over WiFi, before the new navigation system is enabled.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Joelgjr

I use Waze for traffic, construction and CHP, not navigation. Tesla navigation is good.

Has anyone gotten the maps update on 2018.10.4? Or do
The X is on WiFi 23 hours a day and the S is on WiFi 16+ hours a day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hah, let’s put it this way, if your not on WiFi you have zero chance of getting it, if you are on WiFi you have greater then zero chance of getting it ;)

Well, I'm in the middle of nowhere for Easter and a bit after. No underwhelming nav update for me I guess. I think I'll survive. I like the cards anyways. They really do help me quickly align my car in the right lane for exits where I'm in a new area with just a quick glance at the IC. I am not looking forward to losing those and instead figuring out which gray or white lines line up right.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Well, I'm in the middle of nowhere for Easter and a bit after. No underwhelming nav update for me I guess. I think I'll survive. I like the cards anyways. They really do help me quickly align my car in the right lane for exits where I'm in a new area with just a quick glance at the IC. I am not looking forward to losing those and instead figuring out which gray or white lines line up right.

Agreed. The Navigon display has been much better than the Nav/Google Maps routing especially for the last mile and for freeway transitions and exits. Especially during long drives in unfamiliar territory. You know, where safety is enhanced by optimal UX and such.

I will not go out of my way to find WiFi for this journey down yet another beta testing rabbit hole that starts with a loss of existing functionality in exchange for less/worse.

How the hell this is “light years ahead” for the UX is beyond me. I guess I need some of those billionaire nootropics for these “upgrades” to make sense here in boring ol’ RealityLand.

I am in a loaner S100D running MCU2, so I am running the new maps version. In my old car, routing a particular destination would always have me hop off the freeway at a particular exit and jump back on the freeway at the next entrance. I’d always ignore the suggestion and stay on the freeway as any normal person would.

With the new maps, it no longer routes me off and back on the freeway. At least for this one limited scenario, the routing logic has been improved on the new engine for me.