Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read the specs concerning the Dryer Buddy to see if it automatically limits the 14-50 plugs to 30 amps. That would be a great feature if it did since then people wouldn't have to try to track down those elusive 10-30 and 14-30 Tesla adapters.
I'm pretty sure that would not work without dialing it down manually. The Tesla system with the 14-50 adapter on the cable would naturally be trying to pull 40A. If the Dryer buddy held the current limit at less than 30, the car would think it was a wiring fault and would halt charging.

I'm pretty sure that would not work without dialing it down manually. The Tesla system with the 14-50 adapter on the cable would naturally be trying to pull 40A. If the Dryer buddy held the current limit at less than 30, the car would think it was a wiring fault and would halt charging.
I could see the Tesla would still be trying for 50 amps but if the Dryer Buddy limited it to 32 amps, the car wouldn't ever be able to get 50 amps. Wouldn't the car just lower the amps to the lower value?

Fortunately, I now have 10-30 and 14-30 adapters so I won't be needing to test that myself.

I could see the Tesla would still be trying for 50 amps but if the Dryer Buddy limited it to 32 amps, the car wouldn't ever be able to get 50 amps. Wouldn't the car just lower the amps to the lower value?

Fortunately, I now have 10-30 and 14-30 adapters so I won't be needing to test that myself.
There no way to limit the current drawn from a regular outlet like the dryer buddy has, except by shutting the power off completely if the draw gets too high, like a fuse or circuit breaker does. To limit the car's charging rate requires changing the pilot signal which is generated by the UMC, or other EVSE. That's how the UMC adapters work. They have a resister in them that the UMC checks. If it detects the resistance value that says, "this is a 30a adapter", then it changes the pilot signal to tell the car that 30a is the max it can draw.

There no way to limit the current drawn from a regular outlet like the dryer buddy has, except by shutting the power off if the draw gets too high like a fuse or circuit breaker does. To limit the car's charging rate requires changing the pilot signal which is generated by the UMC, or other EVSE.
Thanks. Good to know. Probably best to stay away from the Dryer Buddy with the 14-50 socket then.

Last edited:
[
Yeah, I'd personally stick to the ones having 30a receptacles. However using the one with 14-50 is no worse than using one of the ubiquitous 14-50 to 14-30 adapters.
Just to make sure I understand, even going with a Dryer Buddy with two 30a receptacles, if I don't have the Tesla 14-30 adapter (that they no longer offer for sale) then the car would still want to draw more amps than are available, thus causing a potentially unsafe situation? In other words, even one of those 'ubiquitous 14-50 to 14-30 adapters' wouldn't help matters if I have the Dryer Buddy with two 30a receptacles?

It's not that I can't pay $1800 for an electrician to install a 14-50 receptacle. It's just that it's more than I need and thus would much prefer the < $200 option to the $1800 option.

Just to make sure I understand, even going with a Dryer Buddy with two 30a receptacles, if I don't have the Tesla 14-30 adapter (that they no longer offer for sale) then the car would still want to draw more amps than are available, thus causing a potentially unsafe situation? In other words, even one of those 'ubiquitous 14-50 to 14-30 adapters' wouldn't help matters if I have the Dryer Buddy with two 30a receptacles?

It's not that I can't pay $1800 for an electrician to install a 14-50 receptacle. It's just that it's more than I need and thus would much prefer the < $200 option to the $1800 option.
Yes, having a new 14-50 outlet installed is your best option really.

The other option is to have a 6-15 (15 amp) outlet installed and then buying one of these.
Tesla — NEMA 6-15

My guess is that the price is going to be pretty close the same either way.

[

Yes, exactly. Personally, I think using one of the non-Tesla adapters and dialing down the car is fine for occasional opportunity charging but not for daily charging where one might become complacent about checking the car's setting. Someone who needs to use a 30a circuit at home should either get his hands on one of the 30a Tesla adapters, or buy an EVSE can be configured for a 30a circuit.

[

If you're going to spend that kind of money (1800) you may be better off with one of the newer HPWC. We paid around 600 for a 14-50 (all inclusive). IIRC the newer HPWC is 550 for the unit itself, don't know about labor and ppwk. Can't imagine you would have to pay over a grand for labor and inspection.

Best to use something that the car can automatically recognize and dial the amps appropriately. Sometimes things reset with software updates, etc.. And you can find yourself tripping breakers (hopefully, other option is worse).

That's why I am hoping that Tesla reintroduces more plug options. I'm currently using a 14-30 adapter since the house we just moved to had a 14-30 "electric car charger" built in. I put the quotes in there because that was how the sales people labeled the outlet. It's a new build, so builders are still seeing 14-30 outlets as a "better" (?more economical) charging option instead of 14-50.

[

The whole concept of the dryer buddy device scares me a bit. It is intentionally connecting 2X the devices the circuit is supposed to handle, with the "best intentions" to not use them at the same time, and if/when you do, then you hope the breaker flips open. Electric code is pretty specific on purpose that electric car charging is supposed to be on its own circuit, not sharing with something else. Even if someone can only fit a 20A 240V circuit dedicated to it, that would at least be safe and not too terrible of a charging rate for overnight.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
If you're going to spend that kind of money (1800) you may be better off with one of the newer HPWC. We paid around 600 for a 14-50 (all inclusive). IIRC the newer HPWC is 550 for the unit itself, don't know about labor and ppwk. Can't imagine you would have to pay over a grand for labor and inspection.

Best to use something that the car can automatically recognize and dial the amps appropriately. Sometimes things reset with software updates, etc.. And you can find yourself tripping breakers (hopefully, other option is worse).

That's why I am hoping that Tesla reintroduces more plug options. I'm currently using a 14-30 adapter since the house we just moved to had a 14-30 "electric car charger" built in. I put the quotes in there because that was how the sales people labeled the outlet. It's a new build, so builders are still seeing 14-30 outlets as a "better" (?more economical) charging option instead of 14-50.
There is almost no cost difference between a 14-30 and a 14-50. AFAIK, builders put in 14-30 for dryers because that's what the dryer specs say.

The whole concept of the dryer buddy device scares me a bit. It is intentionally connecting 2X the devices the circuit is supposed to handle, with the "best intentions" to not use them at the same time, and if/when you do, then you hope the breaker flips open. Electric code is pretty specific on purpose that electric car charging is supposed to be on its own circuit, not sharing with something else. Even if someone can only fit a 20A 240V circuit dedicated to it, that would at least be safe and not too terrible of a charging rate for overnight.
They do have a couple of options with a two way switch on it.

There is almost no cost difference between a 14-30 and a 14-50. AFAIK, builders put in 14-30 for dryers because that's what the dryer specs say.

That's informative.

Too bad our builder didn't put in a 14-50. They put it in the garage near the garage door, where no sane person would put a dryer (it would block the second half of a 2 car garage). The house came with a washer dryer upstairs, and a 14-30 "electric car charger" in the garage.

We were pretty stoked to see it there, until we took a picture and analyzed the actual outlet (we figured initially it was a 14-50). Fortunately our service center came through for us.

So at least this builder (Lennar) considers a 14-30 an "electric car charger". Which is why I would still encourage Tesla to make the 14-30 and other adapters available. Some newer houses will have electric charging built in, just may not be the 14-50 like we would all like.

While a 14-50 would be ideal, I am just happy they did include one.

Edit:

Now that I think about it. They probably have a whole bunch of 14-30s lying around and learned that they can be used for electric car charging, and just stuck it in the garage. Guess it worked for us. We bought their house (obviously not just for the charger! Not that much of a one trick pony.... Or maybe...).;)

Last edited:
Has anyone here used one of these? We might be moving into a house that has the laundry in the garage. It's 14-30 and I had fortunately purchased Tesla's 14-30 UMC adapter when I took delivery. This looks really attractive. The house is a rental, so I wouldn't have to mess with approvals from the owner for electrical changes and such. I like the Plus version with the lockout switch that makes only one of the two outlets active.

What many(most?) Tesla owners do is have a 14-50 RV extension cord, since they can be bought off the shelf easily, and then they buy a few adapter cables that have a 14-50 receptacle on one side (for the extension cord to plug into) with a plug on the other for 14-30, 10-30, etc. for whatever outlet you are trying to use. It is very versatile, since you can use that one extension cord for everything, but does not automatically manage the current levels. You are using a Tesla 14-50 adapter on your UMC to hook up to it, so it will think it can draw 40A from it. If you are then adapting it to a 30A dryer outlet, you will need to MAKE SURE to turn the current down in the car to 24A or less.

If I were to do it over again, though, I would make my own extension cord. The real 14-50 extension cords are 3 thick wires and a thinner ground wire--pretty freaking heavy and stiff. The Tesla charging system doesn't even use the neutral wire, so you could eliminate one of those thick wires, and for a 30 or 50 foot run, that's some pretty significant weight.

I know, Camco is inefficient from a weight and stiffness/performance point of view. If we could get a 6-50 adapter from Tesla we could use a cable like this instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Welder-Extension-25-Foot/dp/B002IZ99G6

That's informative.

Too bad our builder didn't put in a 14-50. They put it in the garage near the garage door, where no sane person would put a dryer (it would block the second half of a 2 car garage). The house came with a washer dryer upstairs, and a 14-30 "electric car charger" in the garage.

We were pretty stoked to see it there, until we took a picture and analyzed the actual outlet (we figured initially it was a 14-50). Fortunately our service center came through for us.

So at least this builder (Lennar) considers a 14-30 an "electric car charger". Which is why I would still encourage Tesla to make the 14-30 and other adapters available. Some newer houses will have electric charging built in, just may not be the 14-50 like we would all like.

While a 14-50 would be ideal, I am just happy they did include one.

Edit:

Now that I think about it. They probably have a whole bunch of 14-30s lying around and learned that they can be used for electric car charging, and just stuck it in the garage. Guess it worked for us. We bought their house (obviously not just for the charger! Not that much of a one trick pony.... Or maybe...).;)
If you have a 14-30 installed that means you have conduit in the wall from there to the panel. An electrician can replace the outlet, wire, and breaker to make a 50A circuit for you, for relatively little cost. The builder likely installed the 14-30 outlet because that's what many EVSEs plug into for use with Volt, Leaf, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
LOL no they can't read my 50A extension cable or my ability to plug into 6 different kinds of North American plugs in addition to the 3 official Tesla adapters I have. They have no idea I assure you. See *I* don't have a problem plugging into 14-30 thanks to this home-built collection, and I thus have really no need to buy an official 14-30 either, probably as others have done which artificially deflates the demand for them
You know I meant they know what Tesla adapter has been used to charge and how often. Perhaps that knowledge is why a lot of adapters were discontinued. They also know when your 14-50 setup is dialed to to 24A or some other lower amperage so that's how often you use an "illegal" adapter...

You know I meant they know what Tesla adapter has been used to charge and how often. Perhaps that knowledge is why a lot of adapters were discontinued. They also know when your 14-50 setup is dialed to to 24A or some other lower amperage so that's how often you use an "illegal" adapter...

They have no idea why I've lowered my charging current. It might be because I'm checking the voltage drop of the service, or some other reason ;). But if I'm already cheating with the adapter maybe if it's a cool day I can draw a little more current than I'm allowed. Tesla already seems to do this, no idea if it was intentional. With newer firmware a 5-20 plug will pull 17 amps for quite a while, maybe up to a minute. This never happened before 2.6.17.

If you have a 14-30 installed that means you have conduit in the wall from there to the panel. An electrician can replace the outlet, wire, and breaker to make a 50A circuit for you, for relatively little cost. The builder likely installed the 14-30 outlet because that's what many EVSEs plug into for use with Volt, Leaf, etc.

Thanks! Good to know!

I assume this would make it easier to switch to HPWC as well?

When we get a second Tesla, I will plan to go to newer HPWC with daisy chaining capacity.