Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have no idea why I've lowered my charging current .
While they can't know for sure why you are dialing down your current, I think they have a pretty good idea. Especially since everyone and their mother have Camcos and suitcases worth of homemade dongles.
upload_2016-5-18_20-5-57.png

• Love
Reactions: GBleck
Who do we have to thank for that?
Probably Tesla who offers neither extension cords nor a wide enough range of adapters?

At least Tesla offers a lot more than the "competitors" My friend has an i3. BMW won't even sell him a cable or adapter that lets him plug in to any 240 or 208 V outlet whatsoever. The only way is to install a J1772 "station" at home. Forget about visiting friends and family overnight if they live more then 50 miles away. Good grief.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Sure, totally "illegal" cable but yes it would work for this application :) I think Tesla doesn't approve extensions on the UMC as it is.
Yeah, of course any of the adapter cables that switch from one outlet type to another are not officially legit. Oh, yes, they specifically say NOT to use extension cords in the manual, and I got a nice stern warning/lecture when I was in for my two year service because they saw an extension cord in the car. But I did explain that I know about the recommendation to not use them, and I usually don't, and this was a thicker gauge cable that I specifically ordered for this, so it would not be as resistive as the 16 gauge wire most extension cords use.

While they can't know for sure why you are dialing down your current, I think they have a pretty good idea. Especially since everyone and their mother have Camcos and suitcases worth of homemade dongles. View attachment 177214
You've mentioned this twice now, that the only reason you think people turn down their current is because of using the wrong adapter for a lower power outlet. That's not the case at all. From discussion in the other Tesla forum, it seemed that somewhere around a third to a half of people there (including me) normally keep their current turned down a bit below 40A at home, just to keep the UMC cord less hot. I think my setting is 31A at home.

Yes, please, on 14-30. Ended up at a hotel this past weekend where the only charging option was a 14-30. Since I didn't have an adapter, I was SOL. Had to charge at a remote location and uber back and forth.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Probably Tesla who offers neither extension cords nor a wide enough range of adapters?

At least Tesla offers a lot more than the "competitors" My friend has an i3. BMW won't even sell him a cable or adapter that lets him plug in to any 240 or 208 V outlet whatsoever. The only way is to install a J1772 "station" at home. Forget about visiting friends and family overnight if they live more then 50 miles away. Good grief.
If it's J1772, couldn't he just buy any portable EVSE? I mean, sure, it won't have the BMW logo on it, but that's the benefit of using an industry-standard connector: BMW doesn't HAVE to make one.

We're a bit luckier in that we have a nicer connector than J1772, but are held back by the lack of cord length and connectors available for it. We can use J1772 with the adaptor, but it's kind of a hassle (I use it every day, it stinks).

Neither case is ideal.

If it's J1772, couldn't he just buy any portable EVSE? I mean, sure, it won't have the BMW logo on it, but that's the benefit of using an industry-standard connector: BMW doesn't HAVE to make one.

We're a bit luckier in that we have a nicer connector than J1772, but are held back by the lack of cord length and connectors available for it. We can use J1772 with the adaptor, but it's kind of a hassle (I use it every day, it stinks).

Neither case is ideal.

We don't *have* to buy a Tesla EVSE either, but good luck getting that much power for that much price from anything else.

There are several "mobile" EVSE's out there. Like this one Amazon.com: AeroVironment TurboCord Dual Plug-in EV Charger, 120 & 240 Volt: Automotive

You've mentioned this twice now, that the only reason you think people turn down their current is because of using the wrong adapter for a lower power outlet. That's not the case at all. From discussion in the other Tesla forum, it seemed that somewhere around a third to a half of people there (including me) normally keep their current turned down a bit below 40A at home, just to keep the UMC cord less hot. I think my setting is 31A at home.
That's what I do except that I use 33 amps.

That's what I do except that I use 33 amps.
And to fill in the gap here, I use 32 amps at home even though I have a 14-50 outlet installed. The lower setting keeps the UMC cord and adapter from heating up, as it will do if it's set to pull 40 amps continuously. (Out of curiosity, why the off-by-one settings of 31 and 33? Is there some advantage to those?)

I personally bought two of the 14-30's when I saw that they were going to be discontinued. We have an old farmhouse that we use as a summer cottage and needed them for the dryer outlet (UMC out through the window to the car). My paranoia, but I bought two, one to carry in the car, and one to leave at the farmhouse. I wonder, has anyone had any of the adapters like the 14-30 or 14-50 fail?

P.S. I like so many others here, wondered why Tesla discontinued the 14-30. If I remember correctly, a few years ago someone surveyed Tesla owners and I was stunned by how many use other electrical sources other than the 14-50 or an EVSE. I myself for six months, before my garage was built, used a 15 amp plug on a heavy extension cord, for 6 km/hr and survived fine. Mind you the 100 amp
wall charger is awesome!

(Out of curiosity, why the off-by-one settings of 31 and 33? Is there some advantage to those?)
No real advantage that I'm aware of. There is a knee in the charging efficiency graph (at least in the Roadster) where 32 amps and above is more efficient than below 32 amps. I haven't measured this personally, so I'm just going by what those who have measured it say.

And to fill in the gap here, I use 32 amps at home even though I have a 14-50 outlet installed. The lower setting keeps the UMC cord and adapter from heating up, as it will do if it's set to pull 40 amps continuously. (Out of curiosity, why the off-by-one settings of 31 and 33? Is there some advantage to those?)
I wanted to be unique and not have other people copying my charge setting. ;) No particular reason. Maybe anti-OCD? Had a momentary thing where I wanted to pick something that looked odd.

Reactions: bmah