Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, would you really go broke if you offered service as good as BMW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to cover brakes, clutches, brake fluid, wiper blades and a number of other things plus it was a year longer.
Brake fluid is included in the current plan listed by BMW USA.

Wiper blades are cheap, easy, and are wear-items that have the same lifespan and owner-born cost just like onna Tesla

Pads and clutches are wear item, not maintenance. And anybody who wears them out within 3 years is most definitely driving it wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
I had to visit BMW service centres to often over faults with many of my BMW's and return again because the fault wasn't repaired correctly. I'm glad I have been able to buy a Tesla and be well ahead of any BMW vehicle which I thought would never happen a car manufacture being better than BMW nor do my friends as I lived BMW.
Its hard to believe just because of BMW service centre you will not buy a new S an S that doesn't need 99% of the service a BMW does an S that can be serviced in your driveway or garage and not have to go to a service centre to have your brake oil checked every 2 years.
I never said I wouldn’t purchase one.
I am ready to buy, I really am, I’m just still hesitant due to terrible service and the whole batterygate issue.
I purchased 3 teslas in the past 5 years, the car is awesome, the company however I don’t like at the current moment.

Reactions: aaron0k
It appears they do need to bring it in that often. That’s why there’s such a long wait time for service in large metro areas.

It’s unfortunate that it’s been nearly a year since Elon Musk took charge of service and no improvement has been made.
Is he surrounded by “yes men”? Do none of the executives have the balls to tell him he’s not doing a great job? Or maybe all of the executives receive great service and are out of touch with reality.

I'm sure there are some horror stories like all brands and some service centers are worse than others, but it hasn't been my experience, but maybe I've just been lucky. I've only been back to the service center once to have roof glass replaced after it was hit and cracked.

I did deal with a Tesla authorized body shop to fix the damage from a deer hit, but didn't seem to be any real difference in wait or cost from other cars.

The car hasn't had any issues itself, but it has been unlucky.

I never said I wouldn’t purchase one.
I am ready to buy, I really am, I’m just still hesitant due to terrible service and the whole batterygate issue.
I purchased 3 teslas in the past 5 years, the car is awesome, the company however I don’t like at the current moment.
I never understood this platitude: the car is awesome, hate the company. The company made the car! Maybe what you mean is you like the Tesla car and dislike the Tesla service? I get that. Must make life difficult though. Do you get an awesome car and suffer the service? Or get a lesser car and enjoy the keurig? I know my answer: 3 of my 4 cars are Teslas. I spend far, far more time driving than having serviced.

Reactions: PACEMD
Why compare BMW?

Kia... You can call their service centers and immediately talk to a human. Kia sells new cars that cost $15k.

Tesla has made it impossible to contact humans regarding service scheduling/status/concerns.

Owners are humans. It's very hard to defend what Tesla is doing in this area.

... and they REALLY need to delete this BS from their site:

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013
Valet Service

Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.​

Reactions: glide
Had an appointment to get an oil change this morning at my local bmw dealership.
(edited) I wish Tesla would match this level of customer service, then I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new model s.

I'm on my third Model S. I've had one shop visit, back in 2016 and that was for a front windshield replacement due to a rock hit. It was done in one day, and I got a loaner.

I've had two Ranger visits. One for a seatbelt service bulletin, and another for driver's window not closing correctly.

I'm either lucky, or good at getting cars that need little service.

I'm on my third Model S. I've had one shop visit, back in 2016 and that was for a front windshield replacement due to a rock hit. It was done in one day, and I got a loaner.

I've had two Ranger visits. One for a seatbelt service bulletin, and another for driver's window not closing correctly.

I'm either lucky, or good at getting cars that need little service.
I’ve also had 3 teslas. All 3 needed to go to the service center for different issues.
First one was in 2014 and the service was great, I was able to call my local service center and speak to the service advisor and set up an appointment.
As time went on things got worse once you could no longer contact the service center directly.

I never understood this platitude: the car is awesome, hate the company. The company made the car! Maybe what you mean is you like the Tesla car and dislike the Tesla service? I get that. Must make life difficult though. Do you get an awesome car and suffer the service? Or get a lesser car and enjoy the keurig? I know my answer: 3 of my 4 cars are Teslas. I spend far, far more time driving than having serviced.
Makes life difficult? Not in the slightest.
My M5 is not a lesser car by any stretch of the imagination.
Uhhh yeah I too spend more time driving than getting the car serviced, not sure what your point is there exactly.

As someone potentially in the market for a Tesla, I’m not sure I buy in to that assessment. You make the service issues sound minor. The cars are awesome - awesome enough that I’m still evaluating the trade off between a great car and bad customer service. But what I’m hearing here, in this very forum of enthusiasts, is not just bad but downright abysmal. As just one example, you have people here essentially saying “what an awesome car! But hey don’t do it if it’s your only vehicle”.... And others concurred. I mean, whoa.

I’m still trying to evaluate if these horror stories are the exception or relatively common. But they do seem to be more than minor annoyances. I was really really surprised to discover all this. When I first started considering it I thought it’d be an easy and fast decision. Boy was I wrong.
FIND an owner with similar driving habits. Buy them a meal and ask a lot of questions about Tesla ownership. Of course tell the guy so he can double check service visits and costs.

Won't this be much much better than reading postings ??

EV shows/demos/cars&coffee events might be worth visiting. Only you can decide.

If you think that’s bad, I just fueled up for the 4th time this month. Thank God I live a few blocks away from Costco :)
the membership fee pays for itself in around 6 months without me ever shopping for anything at the store.
My “other car” is a Ram Cummings Diesel. 15mpg. And 15 qts if oil.

My two Teslas live on a $30/mo unlimited EV charging plan :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando and AMPd
We should take delivery of a Model 3 LR AWD in a week or so. And in January we will bet getting rid of our last BMW. Over the years we have owned over 12. Ranging from Model 3 series, X3, 5 series, 6 series, and 7 series. BMW has superior service, but then they need it. Their cars need a lot of maintenance. We have two $6,000+ turbo failures requiring replacements of turbo and wastegates. And the 7 was a disaster. Failure of windows, window shades, navigation systems, seats, and doors, crappy paint job and flaking chrome pieces.

I hope I never again have to have someone follow me to a dealership, wait from service writer to try to sell me extras services, get a ride to work or home. And then a day or later the same day have to get a ride back over to the dealership, pay a big bill, and then wait for someone to fetch my car from the lot.

My interactions with Tesla has been when the mobile service guy came over to my house and re-aligned the charge port door in my garage, while I was on a client call in my office upstairs. He sent me a text when he was done.

• Love
Reactions: Brando