Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reviving this thread.
Curious to know who has the highest mileage model 3 AWD, and how is your degradation so far. ?

I have 50,000 Km’s or 31,000 miles so far.
I haven’t checked my degradation (because I haven’t driven from 100% down to check actual range.
However, I currently am at about 96% SOC range when charged to 100%

Anyone have higher mileage ?
What’s your range at 100% SOC.
I'm just short of 42,000 miles (uh, I think that's about 67,000km?) <edit> Coming up on 12 months with an LR D.

Last I checked, probably 4,000km back, it was still 298mile at 100%. That's....298/310 * 100% = 96%. It has been like that for more than the last 10,000+ miles.

I'm not fully convinced that's actually all degradation, though. It lines up way too well with my lifetime usage, and other people's measurements anecdotally have a fairly high correlation between those as well. I wish someone would do a large scale, rigorous study on that.

P.S. I'm getting low on my second set of tires. I got 19K miles out of the MXM4, I'm nearing 2/32 (even front and back, through regular rotating) with 23K miles on a set of 18" PS4S. I don't really "speed" much (tickets, especially very high speed ones, would be rather detrimental to keeping my CDL active) but I also get up to the speed limit very quickly and I don't slow much for corners. My tires are all fairly evenly sloped down towards the outside. ;)

Last edited:
We’ve owned our AWD’s for about the same length of time. I’m at about 11 months now, with about 14 thousand less miles than you though.
You drive a lot. :)

I’ve potentially saved more than you though, because our electricity is cheaper here, and our gas is more. Switching to this car is a no brainer here in Canada.
Plus I agree, it’s so much fun to drive. :)

We have similar degradation as well. I’m about a percent lower at present.

In the winter, I supercharge once or twice a week. In the summer, it’s less than that.

Oh yeah, you guys pay through the nose for petrol. Didn’t realize your power was actually less than ours, that’s amazing. It is an absolute no brainer, I can’t believe everyone in Canada isn’t buying an EV right now!

Reactions: jbcarioca
18" Michelin's. I probably could have gotten a bit more out of them if I had rotated earlier and lowered the pressure earlier. The wear indicated over inflation as it still had a bit of tread left on the outer edges but the center was almost on the wear bars. The also were starting to squeal on acceleration. I decided to go with Bridgestone Drivegaurd runflat tires this time.

Please let me know how you like the Bridgestone runflats from a noise perspective after you have a few thousand miles on them. Would also be curious how many miles you get out of them compared to how many you got out of your stock Michelin’s.

Slightly over 46k Miles now in my AWD 3 I’ve had for just over 10 months. Yeah, I drive a lot for business. Typically charge to 90% and supercharge multiple times a week. Replaced 2 tires at 38k miles and the other 2 at 45k miles last week. Range at 100% charge is now 296 miles.

Lifetime average efficiency is 248 wh/mile. I did a study back in March and determined my cost per mile for power to be just under $0.03 vs $0.12 per mile for the gas car I previously drove (Mazda CX-9). So I have saved $0.09 per mile on 46k miles or $4140 in less than a year. Plus the car is so damn fun to drive!

How many oil changes in one year would your Mazda have needed? By my calculation, 46K miles in 10 months is over 55K miles. That's a lot of oil and filters!

Usually 65-80 with no traffic.
View attachment 453171

No offense, but are sure about that 186Wh/mi? Have you kept one of your tripmeters running since new?

I can get 186 running on a long downhill route, or with a good tailwind, though we rarely exceed 70mph. I can also get it on rural routes doing say 45mph.

But over the long term (8000 miles) we're getting 220 Wh/mi on our SR+, which I think is excellent. That's through a hot NC summer, with A/C use. I have noticed the few times I have driven without A/C, we can average closer to 200.

I've also noticed on the highway at higher speeds, we do better with MORE traffic, I assume due to 'group drafting' effects. My highest consumption comes at 70+, with no traffic...

[QUOTE="AmpManM3, post: 4018932, member: 106039”]I've also noticed on the highway at higher speeds, we do better with MORE traffic, I assume due to 'group drafting' effects. My highest consumption comes at 70+, with no traffic...[/QUOTE]
This is absolutely the case. 75mph with lots of traffic to follow, at a safe distance, is roughly the same as 60-65mph with no traffic. No need to “tailgate”, just flip on TACC somewhere in the 3 setting range or so, and roll up the speed set-point a bit above ambient traffic speeds.

How many oil changes in one year would your Mazda have needed? By my calculation, 46K miles in 10 months is over 55K miles. That's a lot of oil and filters!

That’s about right on annual miles. In calendar year 2018 I logged just a hair over 50k miles but am tracking closer to 55k this year. Because of my high mileage patterns I switched to full synthetic oil in the Mazda at 10k mile intervals. Each oil change was right at $100 including a tire rotation. So now I just rotate the tires every 10k miles which is about $50 using Tesla mobile service. Not cheap but they meet me where I am and will do the work in the parking lot of whatever office I am in that day. The net savings is $250 per year and it’s super convenient.

That’s about right on annual miles. In calendar year 2018 I logged just a hair over 50k miles but am tracking closer to 55k this year. Because of my high mileage patterns I switched to full synthetic oil in the Mazda at 10k mile intervals. Each oil change was right at $100 including a tire rotation. So now I just rotate the tires every 10k miles which is about $50 using Tesla mobile service. Not cheap but they meet me where I am and will do the work in the parking lot of whatever office I am in that day. The net savings is $250 per year and it’s super convenient.

That's a nice saving. My P3D replaced a 2013 Mazda CX-5 which required 0W-20 oil and, as far as I could tell, was only available in synthetic. I don't think Mazda endorsed any oil change interval longer than 7,500 miles. I'm just glad to be rid of the hassle of having to schedule, drop-off and pick-up the car. Paying the $80-$90 was not the biggest deal. I ended up doing all my own oil changes after the first free one and one paid one because I lost confidence in the shop. I still have a full used oil container that I need to deliver to the used oil recycling center. I should just take it in and be done with it but that's a hassle too as they need to radio one of the workers to meet me at the oil depot (they keep it locked so unsavory characters don't dispose of toxic waste).

I rotate my tires twice a year when switching from summer to winter tires so that's already taken care of.

EV is so much better on so many levels!

I don't want to turn this topic into a servicing question, but those with those high miles now, when did you do your first servicing? I am at 24K miles and 18 months, but haven't done any servicing yet. I have not been to the SC for any reason since I got the car. I called the SC at 13 months to schedule for servicing and I was shooed away.

I don't want to turn this topic into a servicing question, but those with those high miles now, when did you do your first servicing? I am at 24K miles and 18 months, but haven't done any servicing yet. I have not been to the SC for any reason since I got the car. I called the SC at 13 months to schedule for servicing and I was shooed away.

Servicing? I just rotate the tires when needed and look at the brake pads. But of course they never show any wear 'cause we never really use them. Oh, and if the low windshield washer fluid warning comes on I pop the frunk and pour some in! Now that the weather is turning colder, time to put a couple more PSI into the tires.

There really isn't much to do. Neither of our two 3's has been back to the place where we accepted delivery. They drive just like they did when we picked them up (12 months and 18 months ago).

Servicing? I just rotate the tires when needed and look at the brake pads. But of course they never show any wear 'cause we never really use them. Oh, and if the low windshield washer fluid warning comes on I pop the frunk and pour some in! Now that the weather is turning colder, time to put a couple more PSI into the tires.

There really isn't much to do. Neither of our two 3's has been back to the place where we accepted delivery. They drive just like they did when we picked them up (12 months and 18 months ago).
Similar, for “servicing”. Although I swap track wheels on and off, myself, often enough the rotation just happens as part of that.

Our other BEV is the same. More than 40K miles on it, too, and it went in once for a recall (a software patch) and once for the free visit, which was just a tire rotation and “has anything broken” check rather than oil change +. Now just rotate tires myself, every 10-12K.

Reactions: StealthP3D
That's a nice saving. My P3D replaced a 2013 Mazda CX-5 which required 0W-20 oil and, as far as I could tell, was only available in synthetic. I don't think Mazda endorsed any oil change interval longer than 7,500 miles. I'm just glad to be rid of the hassle of having to schedule, drop-off and pick-up the car. Paying the $80-$90 was not the biggest deal. I ended up doing all my own oil changes after the first free one and one paid one because I lost confidence in the shop. I still have a full used oil container that I need to deliver to the used oil recycling center. I should just take it in and be done with it but that's a hassle too as they need to radio one of the workers to meet me at the oil depot (they keep it locked so unsavory characters don't dispose of toxic waste).

I rotate my tires twice a year when switching from summer to winter tires so that's already taken care of.

EV is so much better on so many levels!
Dealing with your old oil is the worst part of doing changes yourself. I think many of us forget the time savings as well. Not having to take an hour or so out of your workday a few times a year really adds up over time.
There aren't any servicing needs really. Air filter and tire rotations unless something breaks. Cheaper to go to Costco for tire rotation and a filter is super easy to do yourself.

Reactions: SammichLover
No offense, but are sure about that 186Wh/mi? Have you kept one of your tripmeters running since new?

I can get 186 running on a long downhill route, or with a good tailwind, though we rarely exceed 70mph. I can also get it on rural routes doing say 45mph.

But over the long term (8000 miles) we're getting 220 Wh/mi on our SR+, which I think is excellent. That's through a hot NC summer, with A/C use. I have noticed the few times I have driven without A/C, we can average closer to 200.

I've also noticed on the highway at higher speeds, we do better with MORE traffic, I assume due to 'group drafting' effects. My highest consumption comes at 70+, with no traffic...

Oh ye of little faith.

Here is my current lifetime wh/mi as well as my trip B with 41k miles.

My all time low lifetime was just under 180wh/mi. After I got solar I relaxed a bit.

If you want to maximize efficiency without sacrificing speed (65-75), avoid using your breaks like the plague, but do it safely. Once you mastered that, avoid using regen. After you did both, you then have to move to fair weather climates.

20190917_225738.jpg 20190917_225806.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Oh ye of little faith.

My all time low lifetime was just under 180wh/mi. After I got solar I relaxed a bit.

If you want to maximize efficiency without sacrificing speed (65-75), avoid using your breaks like the plague, but do it safely. Once you mastered that, avoid using regen. After you did both, you then have to move to fair weather climates.

View attachment 456227 View attachment 456229

Well I guess we'll just have to try harder. :)

Our M3 is my wife's car, so she does 90% of the driving of it. She doesn't have a lead foot, but she does nothing to maximise efficiency when driving.

I on the other hand try and 'work it' all the time when driving, to minimize consumption. I don't hypermile to the extent I annoy other drivers, but I glide to stop signs, time lights, etc. to minimize braking. I have gotten 180 to 190 Kwh/mile for fairly long drives a few times, though that wasn't exceeding 60mph (2 lane highways). So I guess if it was my car we might be closer to those numbers lifetime.

Oh ye of little faith.

View attachment 456227 View attachment 456229

Well I guess we'll just have to try harder. :)

Our M3 is my wife's car, so she does 90% of the driving of it. She doesn't have a lead foot, but she does nothing to maximise efficiency when driving.

I on the other hand try and 'work it' all the time when driving, to minimize consumption. I don't hypermile to the extent I annoy other drivers, but I glide to stop signs, time lights, etc. to minimize braking. I have gotten 180 to 190 Kwh/mile for fairly long drives a few times, though that wasn't exceeding 60mph (2 lane highways). So I guess if it was my car we might be closer to those numbers lifetime.
you guys sound like recovering Prius drivers like I am :)

Yes, group drafting does have a small beneficial effect due to the drafting effect although there is another beneficial effect of a rather perverse nature that you probably don't want to know but I'll tell you in the name of science. It is the combination of these two factors that cause a noticeable improvement in efficiency under multi-lane, heavy traffic.

The aerodynamic drag on a body is directly proportional to the density of the air. Warmer air is less dense than cooler air. Humid air is less dense than dry air. Carbon monoxide is 97% the density of pure air. The combustion process actually produces water vapor. When you are in heavy traffic the car is moving through the warm, humid, dirty exhaust air of hundreds of hot fossil burning, carbon monoxide producing cars. Because this dirty post-combustion air has expanded and is more humid and warmer than the surrounding air, it is less dense and therefore has less aerodynamic drag.

This effect will gradually diminish but never go away entirely as the overall vehicle fleet becomes more modern. Because cooler running EV's, not producing hot, humid exhaust by-products, will not create a warm, humid, dirty bubble of pollution that hangs over the road surface. Also, more modern cars have improved aerodynamics, they create less draft effect with which to take advantage of.

It's kind of funny, I used to be obsessed with efficiency when behind the wheel of a gas car. Even with my Priuses, I would play a game each drive to see how high I could get it.

Shortly after I got my Model 3, I installed an off-peak 240 V charging circuit in my garage, and when charging overnight I pay 7.3 cents per kilowatt hour. After seeing my first electric bill, which cost me $32 to drive 1500 miles that month, I stopped caring in a hurry about efficiency. As long as I can safely get home without running out of juice, it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

I'm still nuts about efficiency when driving my Expedition that I use to tow my boat with, and at very best 13 MPG towing makes my driving habits actually worth something.