Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're just shy of 23,000 miles in 13 months. That's not particularly high compared to a few reports above, but it's a record for us. Neither my wife nor I has put that kind of mileage on a car before. Mostly it's that we scarcely drive the Prius any more. Add the two cars up, and we're pretty much on our old average.

Our car and Tesla service remain strangers. Nothing has gone wrong, except a smashed right side mirror assembly, and that's not Tesla's fault (repaired myself). We're past halfway into the wear on our original 18-inch MXM4s. We have developed a pair of rattles that I keep meaning to investigate further: left front seatbelt tensioner/adjuster, and somewhere about where the dash meats the door (VIN plate?).

I haven't obsessed about the on-board range estimates. They tend to extrapolate to around 310-320, so I'm happy. I haven't fussed with a lot of deliberate drain and charge patterns to re-calibrate and all that stuff one reads on the fora.

The car remains a dream come true. After over a year, I still look for excuses to drive somewhere.

Can I run an errand for you? :D

Reactions: Matt L and Bet TSLA
18,000 miles LR AWD - 100% charge is down to 290 rated miles, which is just about 7% degradation.

A vast majority of my daily charging is 90% with very little supercharging. Hoping its software.
I charged to 100% one time at 2000 miles....I got 308 miles......have not done it since.....I charge to 90% and always get 279 miles.....I now have 3200 miles....that nay no be enough to see anything but after I got 2019.32 I have noted over 300wH/mi.....thats up from my previous 179-225 average....same driving habits and roads

I have just over 20,000 miles on my Model 3, acquired in December, 2017. So not all that much. Delivered without fault. The only annoying problem was the weird lack of bass in the back speaker for several months, but that problem has gone away, so I guess they've fixed the software problem. Also, my daughter crashed it into an Odyssey (the front end was a mess, but it was drivable) and it was in the Tesla body shop for a couple of weeks, but it came out all good again.

Also, as it was a fairly early one, they messed with the suspension to smooth the ride, and the windshield and roof to reduce wind noise. I'm not sure whether the wind noise is all that much less, but I'm reasonably happy. It's pretty amazing the work they were willing to put in for problems that weren't all that serious.

Together, I've put over 51,000 miles on my 3 and new S (acquired about the same time) in almost a year and three quarters. Seems like a lot given that I drive them for pleasure. But they're such a pleasure to drive that I guess it makes sense.

Reactions: alexGS
47,000 miles on our Model3 LR since May of 2018 and for the most part it’s been flawless.
I took a road trip a couple weeks ago and it charged to 315 miles at 100%.
It regularly charges to 251 at 70% and 281 at 80%. Recently it’s been charging to a little less,
But I’ve noticed it often does this right before a major update:)

Slightly over 46k Miles now in my AWD 3 I’ve had for just over 10 months. Yeah, I drive a lot for business. Typically charge to 90% and supercharge multiple times a week. Replaced 2 tires at 38k miles and the other 2 at 45k miles last week. Range at 100% charge is now 296 miles.

Lifetime average efficiency is 248 wh/mile. I did a study back in March and determined my cost per mile for power to be just under $0.03 vs $0.12 per mile for the gas car I previously drove (Mazda CX-9). So I have saved $0.09 per mile on 46k miles or $4140 in less than a year. Plus the car is so damn fun to drive!

About 19,000 in 11 months for me - LR AWD and my 90% charge is only 256 so down about 9%, hope it is just software issue.
I’ve noticed over the last month that my 90% is down to 270 on an ‘18 LR RWD M3. Wonder if it’s the AZ summer heat throttling down the packs, calibration issue or something else? I’ve never charged to 100% or cycled it fully.

I’ve noticed over the last month that my 90% is down to 270 on an ‘18 LR RWD M3. Wonder if it’s the AZ summer heat throttling down the packs, calibration issue or something else? I’ve never charged to 100% or cycled it fully.

hope it's temporary. next week it's down to double digits so we should find out.

Slightly over 46k Miles now in my AWD 3 I’ve had for just over 10 months. Yeah, I drive a lot for business. Typically charge to 90% and supercharge multiple times a week. Replaced 2 tires at 38k miles and the other 2 at 45k miles last week. Range at 100% charge is now 296 miles.

Lifetime average efficiency is 248 wh/mile. I did a study back in March and determined my cost per mile for power to be just under $0.03 vs $0.12 per mile for the gas car I previously drove (Mazda CX-9). So I have saved $0.09 per mile on 46k miles or $4140 in less than a year. Plus the car is so damn fun to drive!

We’ve owned our AWD’s for about the same length of time. I’m at about 11 months now, with about 14 thousand less miles than you though.
You drive a lot. :)

I’ve potentially saved more than you though, because our electricity is cheaper here, and our gas is more. Switching to this car is a no brainer here in Canada.
Plus I agree, it’s so much fun to drive. :)

We have similar degradation as well. I’m about a percent lower at present.

In the winter, I supercharge once or twice a week. In the summer, it’s less than that.

Yeah, I get paid $.58/mile when I travel for work. Driving the LR RWD for those trips is very economically advantageous.

If I’m reading your reply correctly, it is totally normal for the first few miles to get higher consumption. After that, consumption improves.
@bijan is correct.

The best way to explain the bottom line effect is that after driving the car for a daily commute, starting in the morning with a 80% SOC and a range of 255 miles, my odometer might show that I've driven 90 miles, my trip computer shows that my efficiency since my last charge is 230 Wh/mi (better than "rated" ), yet my range is only 140 miles. That indicates a drop in range of 115 miles to travel 90 with an average efficiency of 230 Wh/mi. Something just ain't right with those numbers but that is what I am seeing. I see this type of behavior 80% of long commutes.