Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Park, IL Service Center!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Illini Nissan is across the road from several hotels on Marketview St.

I called Illi Nissan and they won't let me charge after closing (7:00pm) so it will be useless to me.

I think I have found the solution. There is a hotel called I Hotel very close to the EnterpriseWorks at UIUC. They have a charging station. I called and I can charge there overnight. They only have a single stall there though, so I am hoping I can use it at least one or two nights while I am there (5 total).

Stopped at Highland park this morning to try the supercharger again, no issues this time, and check with service on something and there was a white S also parked at the SCer. When I went inside they said that the car had been parked plugged into the SCer overnight! No one in the car. Supposedly the person had stopped in and said they only had 110 at their house, but I guess I just can't imagine leaving the car there over night. Maybe they are within walking distance of the service center? just odd.

I saw that white car charging there when I passed by on US41 Wednesday morning.

Stopped at Highland park this morning to try the supercharger again, no issues this time, and check with service on something and there was a white S also parked at the SCer. When I went inside they said that the car had been parked plugged into the SCer overnight! No one in the car. Supposedly the person had stopped in and said they only had 110 at their house, but I guess I just can't imagine leaving the car there over night. Maybe they are within walking distance of the service center? just odd.

Stopped by today just to use the supercharger. I'm a little perplexed: I maxed out at 48 kW, 111A and 384V. Is this because I already had 160 miles on board and was charging to 90% (tail end of the curve deal) or firmware issue or supercharger issue? I tried chargers 1A and 2B.

> Is this because I already had 160 miles on board [kevincwelch]

On my graph 111 amps corresponds to 155 miles, as close as I can determine, so, yes, this is 'normal'.
SC visits are always fun; bet you never get to see 111 amps at home. :smile:
--

It appears the lower right side of the building is now also being built out for Tesla. Didn't get any pictures, sorry, but it's a pretty large indoor area, maybe for vehicle storage or a larger showroom. It had the signature Tesla Red back wall and grey cement floors.

There is something being built behind a construction fence to the south of the supercharging stalls in highland park. No speculation as to what it might be and I haven't gotten a chance to go inside and attempt to interrogate the service staff but there is a Tesla flag on a flag pole at the extreme south end of the new construction site, not sure that means anything but it would seem to indicate that Tesla is at least connected to the new construction in some way. Here's hoping they at least put in a Starbucks or other food establishment along with whatever they are doing as options are awfully limited for food and stuff around there.

They really need to expand this. The service center leaves cars all day and my garage was under construction and so I needed to quickly add fuel to my car and I was unable without a giant hassle.

Charge rates are also very slow. They need to do something. There are so many Teslas around, it feels like Cali without the love.

They really need to expand this. The service center leaves cars all day and my garage was under construction and so I needed to quickly add fuel to my car and I was unable without a giant hassle.

Charge rates are also very slow. They need to do something. There are so many Teslas around, it feels like Cali without the love.

Would be better if the HP location moved and expanded to the back of the lot.

Not sure where you live but Skokie has 20 stalls not far off Touhy/94.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Would be better if the HP location moved and expanded to the back of the lot.

Not sure where you live but Skokie has 20 stalls not far off Touhy/94.

Oh I'm glad Tesla built that but I live 2 miles from highland Park and traffic on 94 isn't always conducive to charging travel.

I'm just not sure why there is always a fight to charge here due to locals and staff constantly charging.

My garage is sorted out now so I'm back to charging at home but it makes a lot of sense to build out this location.

Oh I'm glad Tesla built that but I live 2 miles from highland Park and traffic on 94 isn't always conducive to charging travel.

I'm just not sure why there is always a fight to charge here due to locals and staff constantly charging.

My garage is sorted out now so I'm back to charging at home but it makes a lot of sense to build out this location.
Much of the problem is the Uber and Lyft & Livery drivers supercharging here.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
In my opinion, it's very likely that they will just build a bigger nearby supercharger in a more commercial area rather than expand this location. Is there even anything to do within walking distance of this supercharger/service center?

In Burbank (and possibly Montreal), they built bigger nearby superchargers at malls and then de-listed the service center superchargers. You can still charge there, but they aren't listed on the website or in the Nav. I assume this is because they would prefer Tesla owners to stay out of the way of the service center and its employees and charge at the bigger, newer nearby superchargers.

Actually now that I look, they actually have put in superchargers at Skokie, Glenview, Rolling Meadows in the last couple years so there you go. I realize that might not be as convenient for you if you live right next to this service center but those are the breaks. They will likely build more supercharger locations further north in the Chicago area, but in the meantime, you can either charge at the new superchargers or use this location afterhours. Or charge at home of course.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the supercharger has been removed from their locations page. It has been pretty much unavailable since July as they have been using for M3 deliveries. They show "Northbrook" but that has been changed to 2019 sometime in the past few months from 2018 so it does not look to be anytime soon. Also don't see any permits, etc... for Northbrook yet.

Reactions: emorog
I just noticed in another thread this comment (about the service centre one) from @j5555 :
Location does not show on car nav--but you actually can use them at limited times, in evening after the service center closes, and on weekends. It's hit or miss as they sometimes leave vehicles parked and connected even after hours. Of late, I've found them mostly empty after hours and thus available for use.

Based on this, should the service centre location be changed back to "open" on supercharge.info? Historically, supercharge.info has documented whatever is open "on the ground" as opposed to what Tesla says is available - the two are not always the same. It can be marked "limited hours" if that is most suited.

(BTW - note the other thread is primarily about a different site - a new Highland Park V3 site - but the comment is related to the Highland Park service centre site!)