Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold Steering Wheel every 20-25 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would refrain from posting that you are clipping someone on the wheel to defeat the nag. The more people say they are doing this, the more likely Tesla will have to squander programming resources to defeat these workarounds instead of actually trying to make AP work as it was promised so we don’t have to apply such work arounds.

The current situation is ridiculous, having to tug at the wheel to keep autosteer working. What’s next? Lightly pump the brakes every few seconds to keep cruise control engaged?

Reactions: oneday
rnortman, 100 percent agree with your above post! This is the issue. Tesla needs to fix this fast! Tesla customers paid 5k for the autopilot feature and now it does not work.

....I know that Tesla is walking a fine line between safety and regulation, but Tesla is the one that is selling the autopilot feature, and right now it doesn't work!

I am also not saying that people should be able to take their hands off the wheel when the autopilot feature is enabled.

It does work. Maybe not the way YOU want, but it does the way TESLA wants. Many of us have no problems figuring out how Tesla wants us to make AP work. Just like figuring out how to make the radio work. If you refuse to do it according to directions, it doesn't work. I never seemed to have a problem with it. Works fine for me. What ever that's worth.

It does work. Maybe not the way YOU want, but it does the way TESLA wants. Many of us have no problems figuring out how Tesla wants us to make AP work. Just like figuring out how to make the radio work. If you refuse to do it according to directions, it doesn't work. I never seemed to have a problem with it. Works fine for me. What ever that's worth.
I disagree...

I test drove an AP1 car, which it was claimed that AP2 would be the same but better. At that time, I can have autosteer work for minutes at a time without me having to tug the wheel. Pay attention, absolutely. Tug the wheel every few seconds, no.

Flash forward 2 years, AP2 works more or less the same in terms of drive quality but now I have to fight it every few seconds so it keeps working.

The model S is still a great car, but AP needs to be fixed.

Reactions: Foxyboy and MIT_S60
I have, for the first time ever - due to these and other threads, refused the update...I just keep closing the update notice.

Hopefully, Elon will improve this soon so I can stop refusing the update.

Ditto. There is no way in hell I am applying an update that requires me to hold the wheel while on autopilot. What a ridiculous notion. What next, hold the foot on the gas pedal while on cruise control?!!! Lunacy!

It is also specifically called out in the owner's manual as a situation that TACC will fail in. I think the video is positive in the sense that it educates people of the limitations, but they didn't discover some unexpected failure condition. I'm not sure how much clearer Tesla could be than saying that TACC will fail to stop if you're following a car that moves out of lane right before a stopped vehicle.

Tesla has to be clear on this?! It is not already obvious to any sane person?

This whole thing makes it easier to move to a 3 - since I save $5k.
I only paid $2500 for AP1. It was harder to move to a 3 and have to pay $5k for autopilot - but now I could care less if I don't have AP. Ok a bit of an exaggeration but I think it is amazing how much more expensive it has gotten - and how much worse it has gotten.
This might be tolerated if it was somehow getting better in other ways - but it isn't. It still drifts over lines that it can see - based on the display, still dives for some off ramps etc.

People have different ways of holding the wheel and vastly different driving environments. I have a 30 mile straight run once a week that I got disabled on both directions yesterday. I can't see the flashing light with the way my steering wheel is adjusted - when I am looking at the road straight ahead. I also had my first inappropriate autobraking event 10 days ago - my car is 3 years with AP. It wasn't totally inappropriate as I was coming up on someone but it never did that before.

It is terrible and I would encourage everyone to not waste $5k on it until it changes. Hint - it probably won't.

Isn't it a truly embarassing situation how little progress has been made? AP2.5 isn't really any better than AP1. And everyone else is catching up.

Huge Telsa fan here. They have really messed up with Autopilot. When people stop checking the box - maybe they will make it better....

Reactions: MIT_S60
I'm going to ask the dumb question.... can someone write some code to inject a fake torque signal into the CAN bus periodically? My little honda fit wouldn't show HDMI input when the car was moving, made using the screen with waze from my phone pointless, so someone created a little dongle that intercepted teh CAN bus signal that told the radio that the car was in gear. So I wonder if the same can be done for the steering torque feedback? Every once in a while, inject what appears to be a nudge on the steering wheel.

fake torque signal into the CAN bus periodically
I think the torque sensor is still useful when it comes to safety. Least you actually pass out or something. Though it is possibly you do it on a way that would touch the wheel. The problem is that torque sensing is way to frequent. It needs to be once every few minutes and not every 15s.

How are you supposed to relax more when you have to do an unnatural action every 15s to tug the wheel enough to trigger the sensor, but not so much that you disengage autosteer...

I get why you are doing these tests, but the bottom line is that Tesla owners shouldn't have to be doing any of these tests to try and fix something that is broken or flawed with the autopilot feature because of the latest software update. We all paid 5 k for autopilot! Tesla should fix it!
Hi Marshallo, I'm 100% with you! I did the experiment just because I'm a nerdish hacker and wanted to put a few numbers on what was just a "feeling". Now I'm spending my time on autopilot (both hands on the wheel!) counting how many tags I do per hour, multiplying for a force of 400g each, and calculating how many calories I spend to keep the nagging system happy!! ;)

rnortman, 100 percent agree with your above post! This is the issue. Tesla needs to fix this fast! Tesla customers paid 5k for the autopilot feature and now it does not work.

Personally, I feel that there needs to be better sensors on the steering wheel so that the car can sense when someone has their hands on the wheel or not. This is the issue.

Having to apply light pressure in one direction on the steering when you are driving straight on the freeway and the car is already centered in the lane is just plan CRAZY! I can not believe that more Tesla owners are not upset about this new update. I know that Tesla is walking a fine line between safety and regulation, but Tesla is the one that is selling the autopilot feature, and right now it doesn't work!

I am also not saying that people should be able to take their hands off the wheel when the autopilot feature is enabled.

But they sure do love "letting us know"(sarcastic) that we obviously don't know how to hold the steering wheel. smh smh

I wish we had another icon reserved for the posts made by the Kool-Aid drinking all hail the Tesla people that will argue about anything posted in the slightest contrarian way. I love my TWO 2 S&X Teslas but there are still some major shortcomings that need to be fixed via software. The introduced NagNuisance being one of them.

I respectfully disagree with you that the autopilot feature in the last software update prior to July was working properly.
It was working poorly at best. There were hundreds of people complaining and experiencing the same issues since the June software update. It's not an isolated incident. It was not knowing how to figure out how to make autopilot work.

FYI, The latest software update that I installed on 7.2.18 has now TOTALLY corrected the problem, which basically proves my point.
My Tesla is a 2018 Model S 75D built in March. The new software update is v8.1 (2018.24.1 12dd099)

The autopilot feature is working fine, thank you Tesla software group for fixing!. :)

But they sure do love "letting us know"(sarcastic) that we obviously don't know how to hold the steering wheel. smh smh

I wish we had another icon reserved for the posts made by the Kool-Aid drinking all hail the Tesla people that will argue about anything posted in the slightest contrarian way. I love my TWO 2 S&X Teslas but there are still some major shortcomings that need to be fixed via software. The introduced NagNuisance being one of them.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Some of the Kool-Aid drinking Tesla fan boys remind me of the Apple crowd. (By the way I own an iphone, I just don't drink the apple kool-aid either) I know its crazy!

I love my Tesla, which is a 2018 Model S 75D, its the first Tesla that I have owned. I am a Tesla fan, but when they screw something up that I paid for, well, I am going to call them on it! :)

FYI, The latest software update that I installed on 7.2.18 has now TOTALLY corrected the problem, which basically proves everyones point that was complaining.
My Tesla is a 2018 Model S 75D built in March. The new software update is v8.1 (2018.24.1 12dd099)

The autopilot feature is working fine, thank you Tesla software group for fixing!. :)

Hi Marshallo, I'm 100% with you! I did the experiment just because I'm a nerdish hacker and wanted to put a few numbers on what was just a "feeling". Now I'm spending my time on autopilot (both hands on the wheel!) counting how many tags I do per hour, multiplying for a force of 400g each, and calculating how many calories I spend to keep the nagging system happy!! ;)

FYI, The latest software update that I installed on 7.2.18 has now TOTALLY corrected the problem, which basically proves my point.

This whole thing makes it easier to move to a 3 - since I save $5k.
I only paid $2500 for AP1. It was harder to move to a 3 and have to pay $5k for autopilot - but now I could care less if I don't have AP. Ok a bit of an exaggeration but I think it is amazing how much more expensive it has gotten - and how much worse it has gotten.
This might be tolerated if it was somehow getting better in other ways - but it isn't. It still drifts over lines that it can see - based on the display, still dives for some off ramps etc.

People have different ways of holding the wheel and vastly different driving environments. I have a 30 mile straight run once a week that I got disabled on both directions yesterday. I can't see the flashing light with the way my steering wheel is adjusted - when I am looking at the road straight ahead. I also had my first inappropriate autobraking event 10 days ago - my car is 3 years with AP. It wasn't totally inappropriate as I was coming up on someone but it never did that before.

It is terrible and I would encourage everyone to not waste $5k on it until it changes. Hint - it probably won't.

Isn't it a truly embarassing situation how little progress has been made? AP2.5 isn't really any better than AP1. And everyone else is catching up.

Huge Telsa fan here. They have really messed up with Autopilot. When people stop checking the box - maybe they will make it better....

Dave, I felt you pain but I think Tesla has fixed the problem with a software update.

The autopilot feature is working fine,

I was only on 2018.21.9 for a few weeks and had very limited experience in AP with it, so no opinion re: the nag. I'm now on 2018.24.1 and had the opportunity to run a 70 mile route out and back today (140 miles total). 120 miles were on limited access highways, and 100% of that was in AP, which was flawless, lane holding was the best yet, lane changes were smooth and responsive, no disengagements and not a single nag. I always keep a hand on the wheel, either left at 8 o'clock or right at 4 o'clock with arm resting on arm rests or a knee, and there was no need for tugs or any other overt inputs.

Tesla has confirmed to me there was no change in behavior on 2018.24.1 from 2018.21.9 in terms of nagging, and the white flashing is still only on the top of the screen.

Who confirmed to you from Tesla these above statements? Give us a name who you are getting your information from.

They still fixed the problem in the latest software update. I call BS, that they did not change something which fixed the problem we were all having. They changed something that has now stopped the false nagging. end of story!