Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MYLR on the afternoon of 12/26 and installed the update 12/27. For me, it seems completely fine and normal. The functionality folks are complaining about, primarily having to do an additional swipe or 2 clicks to find so ething seem minor to me. It’s all a matter of getting accustomed to change. I’m actually surprised Tesla owners who tend to be first adopters are so upset by the software update!

Lot of tantrums about this update. I think yawl are taking it all too seriously. We were told at every step of the way that FSD was BETA. When you get involved with anything listed/labeled as Beta, you really must expect changes down the road. BTW, let me know how clenching your fists and stomping your little feet works with Elon!!!
🤣
You bring a new level of trolling to this forum. Oh this is not about Full Self Driving. These posts are about the latest software update. Get your trolling gears aligned please.

This thread is a real Duesenberg! Feels like a party full of Howard Beale impersonators; "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" Just got my MY so don't have muscle memory issues like long term users. I do feel your pain! V11 is merely a work in progress, though, and I have a hunch many of the criticisms will be addressed. One safety concern I've noted is the blind spot monitor blocks your view of vehicles behind you in the traffic sim.

This thread is a real Duesenberg! Feels like a party full of Howard Beale impersonators; "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" Just got my MY so don't have muscle memory issues like long term users. I do feel your pain! V11 is merely a work in progress, though, and I have a hunch many of the criticisms will be addressed. One safety concern I've noted is the blind spot monitor blocks your view of vehicles behind you in the traffic sim.
Thanks for injecting some sanity here! V11 needs some work, of course (and it will get it), but listening to some of the posts here you would think its the end of the world. I've even seen one post complaining that because the seat warmer buttons aren't visible guests might think the car doesnt have them. Oh, the humanity!!!! The shame!! :)

Oh, and if you watch carefully, I *think* the traffic sim view tilts up slightly as the blind spot view pops up so you dont miss stuff (can't check right now as I'm snowed in atm!).

Reactions: jabloomf1230
ummm... because when you're looking at the mirror you are looking at the road beside you and easily have the front of the car in your vision as well. When you look at the screen you're...looking at the screen. I'm not sure how you learned to drive, but the 'proper' sequence for changing lanes (as taught by both my drivers' ed instructor and my kids') is turn on the turn signal, check the road beside you, check your mirrors, then merge. If you're merging to the left, the screen forces you to take your eyes off the road in the opposite direction. That's exactly why Honda abandoned their lane watch system in favor of the system everyone else uses. I'd also note that Tesla actually tells you to 'look at the road' if you're using autopilot and look down at the screen.
Actually the correct way is to look in mirrors etc and THEN turn on the turn signal: "mirror, signal, maneuver" A turn signal, when used in the context of a lane change etc is a warning of intent. The use of the blind spot cameras is then to ensure that you have NOT accidentally begun a maneuver that would cause a collision etc.

Reactions: WADan
Actually the correct way is to look in mirrors etc and THEN turn on the turn signal: "mirror, signal, maneuver" A turn signal, when used in the context of a lane change etc is a warning of intent. The use of the blind spot cameras is then to ensure that you have NOT accidentally begun a maneuver that would cause a collision etc.
I was taught "mirror, signal, mirror, maneuver" essentially it's the carpenter's "measure twice, cut once" analogy. But given the blind spot issues with our Tesla's mirrors (even properly adjusted" I do this - "mirror, LOOK, signal, mirror, LOOK, maneuver". And the camera images at night and in the rain are useless as is the associated flashing turn signal the wipes out 1/3 of the image.

I appreciate what Tesla has done, it's sexy as hell, but driver beware when making lane changes. I've decided to buy the SUMA BS mirrors after returning from our 2K mile holiday road trip using V11.

Yes the camera add is an improvement
I turned it off within 30 minutes of trying it -- having a moving image on the screen while you're driving is not safe. It would be like driving with the rear camera on all the time - unnecessarily distracting Moving images attract our eyes, and a live camera on the screen is unsafe, in my opinion. I thought it was a bad idea when I read about it, and it became a worse idea after I tried it.

You forgot - look over your shoulder before maneuver.

Reactions: e645824
I turned it off within 30 minutes of trying it -- having a moving image on the screen while you're driving is not safe. It would be like driving with the rear camera on all the time - unnecessarily distracting Moving images attract our eyes, and a live camera on the screen is unsafe, in my opinion. I thought it was a bad idea when I read about it, and it became a worse idea after I tried it.
Well, I think this is part of the reason they put it low on the screen (versus up high, like many people say they want). I would usually glance at the screen when changing lanes after checking the mirror (and looking over my shoulder) just to ensure that there was nothing there. Now, I'm essentially looking at the same area but I don't find it distracting at all.

Reactions: andaconda
After spending more time with this I'm just more frustrated. Virtually every common action now takes at least 2 steps instead of one. The interface doesn't look any better, just different and they've now wasted a bunch of screen space. I like that the display notifying you that someone doesn't have their seatbelt fastened is less intrusive (although the orientation is more confusing,) and adding waypoints to maps is definitely an improvement, but those are minor things that I rarely use. Every other function I use on a regular basis is now more cumbersome, distracting and less intuitive.

up until now Tesla's interface has been one of the best I've used and has steadily gotten better. Now they've completely lost the incremental improvements and made it worst it's ever been. Can I learn to use the new interface? Yes. Do I like it? Hell no. I'm frustrated that Tesla made my car worse without warning me or giving me the opportunity to go back.

How about voice command "turn on defroster?"
That's more than two steps - push the button, say "turn on defroster", have the computer misunderstand what you're saying, do the whole process again.

I tried using voice commands to replace the card that you used to get by swiping on the screen to see the current trip stats. Tried 4 or 5 different commands - none of them worked.

How about just not messing with a functional interface that let people easily do what they needed to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimt29
Yeah, I'm pissed. I paid $60+k for a car and Tesla decides to randomly do a Chinese fire drill with the interface making it less functional, more difficult to use and in some cases less safe. They don't give you warning of what they're doing beyond some cryptic statement like "updates to the user interface," nor do they give you a chance to preview or revert back to the previous interface. After you've installed it, they give very little introduction or training on the new interface, leading you to try and figure things out while you're driving. Even if you take time before you start (I did,) you don't necessarily notice what's missing until you need it in the middle of your trip.

yeah, I'm probably going to turn it off, too. It's basically useless for me and more of a distraction. Like I've said, forcing you to look away from the road and down at your screen is just bad design. At least with this 'update' you can turn it off and the functionality is no different than it was before.

Reactions: linux-works
The new update reinforces my long held theory that Tesla’s UI designers are graphically talented non Tesla owners, likely too young to have a driver’s license.

How else do you explain the improvements in graphics, fonts, video games and gimmicks while (with a few exceptions) greatly complicating the usability of the day to day driver interface?
I am wondering about this myself. I actually believe this update was a very serious endeavor by Tesla. They probably had their best people working many months on it and carefully considered how every detail of the new UI would impact the driving experience. So... with that in mind I am at a total loss to explain how it seems to have missed its mark so badly. It just doesn't make sense.

Could it be that it didn't miss its mark at all, and that this is actually the new direction Tesla is taking?

After all, there are only about 50 of us that are complaining and maybe a million that are not. What is a good way to provide constructive feedback to Tesla?

Almost every hardware store has a little section of BLIND SPOT mirrors, those little round or oval shaped convex mirrors that stick onto the outside rear-view mirror. If you have trouble checking your blind spot, you need one of these little devices.

The only gripe I have is that people put the little mirror in the upper outer edge of their mirror, blocking the reflection behind them, while a third of the mirror image is of their car. PUT THE MIRROR over the reflection of your car!!! Then you can see the traffic behind you AND the car in your blind spot.