Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I encourage EVERYONE that is NOT HAPPY with this V11 update to inform TESLA you are not happy and demand your car’s feature functionality be returned to you.
What we were sold is not what we have.
Safety and functionality are not the only thing at stake here.

Why did they ruin the perfectly intuitive, and industry leading UI that attracted us to this car, and that we paid for.

Let the Class Actions begin!

I encourage EVERYONE that is NOT HAPPY with this V11 update to inform TESLA you are not happy and demand your car’s feature functionality be returned to you.

Why did they ruin the perfectly intuitive, and industry leading UI that attracted us to this car, and that we paid for.

Where and how do we inform tesla on this?

You can take the lead then right? Let us know what to do, where and how.

My daughter got her driver's license this year, and if I recall correctly, they don't advocate driving with hands at 10-2 now. Something to do with airbag deployment safety, I think. I probably used to drive with hands at 10-2 a lot, and still do sometimes, but I try to position my hands lower on the steering wheel most of the time.

I'm someone who wished for the blind-spot camera on lane-change to be added by Tesla (basically copy what Hyundai does), but I've always thought of that as a "better than nothing" kind of deal. It's obviously not going to be ideal without the indicators on the side-view mirrors, but better than nothing. What I wish they would add is the chime being played when you turn on the turn signal and there's a car in the blind spot area. I don't know why they don't just implement that. As I understand, currently it only plays the chime if you almost hit the car in your blind-spot, which thankfully I have not experienced yet.
If a chime indicates your blindspot is occupied when the turn signal is activated, it's not really blindspot monitoring. Blindspot monitoring should monitor your blindspot whether your turn signal is activated or not. The side mirrors need a marker to notify the driver the blindspot is occupied by an object, full stop. It's not a revolutionary concept in 2021 as just about every new car has it. Not sure why Tesla does not include blindspot monitoring in a real and practical way.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Many people have been asking for blind spot cameras .. yet now they arrive they are of “dubious use”? To you perhaps, but not to many others. i notice you skipped over waypoint editing .. yeah totally useless and no-one has EVER asked for that.

it’s good that people point out areas that should be improved, but just claiming everything is garbage or worthless when that is not true is a waste of time. Go look at how many posts have asked for blind spot cameras… and waypoints .. and many of the other features they added.

And yes, bug fixes count as improvements too .. or would you prefer that they not fix phantom braking?
Waypoint editing is nice and a welcome feature but if a bug fix to make a feature work properly counts as a major improvement for you then Tesla's standards are apparently on par with spirit airlines. I didn't buy a Tesla because I wanted mediocre. If I wanted that I could have gotten a Dodge.

How is looking at the screen vs looking in a mirror different with regard to “taking your eyes off the road” ?
ummm... because when you're looking at the mirror you are looking at the road beside you and easily have the front of the car in your vision as well. When you look at the screen you're...looking at the screen. I'm not sure how you learned to drive, but the 'proper' sequence for changing lanes (as taught by both my drivers' ed instructor and my kids') is turn on the turn signal, check the road beside you, check your mirrors, then merge. If you're merging to the left, the screen forces you to take your eyes off the road in the opposite direction. That's exactly why Honda abandoned their lane watch system in favor of the system everyone else uses. I'd also note that Tesla actually tells you to 'look at the road' if you're using autopilot and look down at the screen.

On top of these issues, the camera system is blinded by the glare from the blinkers at night and forces you to do an awkward mental calculation to figure the angle you're looking at; it's very counter intuitive.

No, blind spot monitoring in general is not of dubious use. Blind spot monitoring as Tesla has implemented it is most definitely of dubious use.

This sounds like a troll but ... in our Subaru I signal a left turn and as I check the mirror, before glancing over my left shoulder, the big yellow indicator is flashing which means something is in my blind spot. It's the natural way to change lanes to the left. Looking down and to the right to see an image that might be occluded by the steering wheel during a left change is less safe.

What's sad is this never had to be a problem. Tesla could have always provided a blind spot chime, a bit of wheel torque or even a convex mirror insert but apparently they forgot the "keep your eyes on the road, not on the controls" rule a long time ago.
Yes - our Subaru and Audi have the same system. It is far better.
BLUF: The side repeater camera turning on with the turn signal activated is not a solution for blindspot monitoring. An indicator in the side mirror, like what every other manufacturer uses is the ticket.
Yes! There's a reason that every other manufacturer uses this system.

Reactions: jbrazor
Personally I find it awkward, uncomfortable for long periods, and ultimately it is not any safer than the 8-4 position.

If your hand is blocking your view of the screen, there's an easy solution - move your hand.
If I'm cruising on the highway then I have my hands down but if I'm turning or think I may have to do any sort of maneuvering then 10 & 2 is a much better and safer position.

There's an even better solution than moving your hand - design the interface so it matches accepted safe driving habits.

Reactions: e645824
If a chime indicates your blindspot is occupied when the turn signal is activated, it's not really blindspot monitoring. Blindspot monitoring should monitor your blindspot whether your turn signal is activated or not. The side mirrors need a marker to notify the driver the blindspot is occupied by an object, full stop. It's not a revolutionary concept in 2021 as just about every new car has it. Not sure why Tesla does not include blindspot monitoring in a real and practical way.
Yes, but since our cars can't download the blind-spot indicator onto the side-view mirror, the next best thing that could be done are the now-implemented side camera view and hopefully the warning chime in the future.

I also wonder why Tesla doesn't do the blind-spot indicator in the side-view mirrors. I've been driving a rental Nissan Kicks for the past month and it has a nice big blind-spot indicator on the side-view mirrors (but I can't wait to drive my MYP again).

Reactions: Canyonero
Is the side camera view something which needs to be enabled? From reading here it appears it turns on with the turn signal, correct? I have been driving around for several days and not experienced this. Just went through menu settings and do not see where it could be turned on.

I may be misunderstanding something here...so looking for clarification. Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to set climate dual-mode off and just to have 1 temperature setting showing? I tried to figure this out today with no luck.
Actually, stumbled across this and their implementation is very odd. It will do EXACTLY what you are asking for (and leave tons of unused space on the bottom right ), but it appears to to be tied to if air is coming out of the passenger vents. My car got warm enough that the AC went on, and the right temperature controls disappeared. The only thing I didn't try was manually turning those vents back on to see if they showed up again.

When it's pushing heat it automatically uses both vents, so unless it's warm, you will see both temperature controls regardless if it's split or not.

Is the side camera view something which needs to be enabled? From reading here it appears it turns on with the turn signal, correct? I have been driving around for several days and not experienced this. Just went through menu settings and do not see where it could be turned on.

I may be misunderstanding something here...so looking for clarification. Thanks in advance.
Yes, under autopilot for some reason...

Personally I find it awkward, uncomfortable for long periods, and ultimately it is not any safer than the 8-4 position.

If your hand is blocking your view of the screen, there's an easy solution - move your hand.
I agree. I never use 10-2, ever. It's awkward, uncomfortable, and unnecessary. I often find myself with one hand on the wheel, especially on longer trips. Not saying this is the safest approach or most effective but that's what works for me.

Reactions: wyllys and Vin_L
If I'm cruising on the highway then I have my hands down but if I'm turning or think I may have to do any sort of maneuvering then 10 & 2 is a much better and safer position.
In modern driving courses they teach 9/3 or 10/4, not to cross your arms while turning and to keep the wheel at a minimum distance from your body. The goal being to avoid contact with a deploying steering wheel airbag.

Reactions: ZetaWagon