Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V11 is absolute crap. First time someone sits down in the car they’d have no idea heated seats even exist, or how to turn them on. No idea how to access the audio system. Same for wipers, defroster, or climate controls.
The previous display setup was genius, the new UI is pitiful. Why change what wasn’t broken?

The previous organization and access of everything the car has to offer was awesome, and could be figured out in seconds. Not anymore. WTF, ELON ?

Audio options belong in the Media player
Movies and games in entertainment
Toys in the toy box

simple control on the surface level, that has an option for complex control on the next level. That’s how a good UI is done. That’s the way it was.

Predicting energy usage is one of the most important elements of an electric car, and its adoption. Tesla had it right before, both via online routing and trip planner. Simple useful intuitive, why change that?

Now pathetic colored icons that are un-decernable, for useless crap, have replaced intuitive apps that were logically placed together .

It’s wrong that what we bought, and liked, can be so drastically changed for something worse.

Don’t stop pounding Tesla until they fix what they screwed us out of. If you’re unhappy let them know.
888-518-3752

Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers?? That's ridiculous. This is a solution to a problem that only exists because of Tesla's ego. No other car I've ever driven or sat in has this problem.
Because when the car is moving, driving (and needed actions to help driving safely like turning on the wipers) is the PRIORITY. And using voice command is the safest possible way to avoid taking the eyes off the road.
Don’t get me wrong, i agree Tesla can certainly improve their UI.

Yes- Turning on the Butt Warmers was very easy on V10. Now with V11 it is only easy to Turn on the Butt Warmers.
Where I live I only use the heated seats 3 months of the year If that. In July it is useless to have two seat heater buttons on the screen Seen at all times as with V10

Plus let’s don’t forget all functions can simply be directed by voice command. Driving a Tesla is like driving an Iphone. Updates (for some) can be confusing until you get used to how things work.

Who is better than Tesla on UI? So far I’ve heard “Toyota Yaris” Lol

I guarantee Tesla will have an update soon to add more options in the drag down menu for those that are going full Karen over V11

Last edited:
Great look to have crappier seat heater switch UI than my 99 VW Golf, lol.

Next time you take your Subaru to the dealer for an oil change, they move the seat heater switches into the glove box, and don't tell you. Exactly what happened.

That's all we're talking about. Tesla is already behind the curve with no tactile switches, just to try to save money. They need to be better than expected in exchange for that. I'd argue that the airflow control instead of actual vents is a perfect execution of that. It's a moment of joy that makes the lack of physical vents something you don't even consider. It's so cool, everyone loves it, or says oh s___ they're just trolling everyone else with how cool that is.

I don't even want the seat heater switch back necessarily, if there's some substitute that's that level of cool and fun. IDK what that is, wow me.
“Tesla is already behind the curve with no tactile switches, just to try to save money.”
Lol you are joking, right? Everyone else is behind with their’s outdated nubs and buttons. One of many reasons I never liked American made cars interiors.

Last edited:
Are you actually arguing that the Toyota Yaris is more advanced than a Tesla?
Where did I do that? Please work on your reading comprehension. I suggested that Toyota’s UI was easier to use. You can turn on the wipers adjust their speed, turn on the defroster, turn on the rear defroster, turn on the heated seats and adjust the heater temp all without taking your eyes off the road.

It also has Apple CarPlay which allows for Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, A Better Route planner and other map apps. It has a better podcast app (and allows for multiple other podcast apps, even TuneIn if you prefer a POS) it has Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Amazon Music, Sirius. It also has audiobooks. I will admit that it doesn’t have a web browser, tiktok or sonic. Evidently Toyota is smart enough to know that people shouldn’t be watching tiktok, surfing the web or playing games while they drive.

You never did explain how and why you think the new UI is easier to use.
Dumb argument. Nobody has a self-driving car. Those with FSD beta have to keep MORE attention on the road these days. Autopilot on the highway -- sure -- but that's also only a portion of driving time. Gotta design the UI to work in any reasonable conditions.
Quite true. I’d also note Tesla’s hypocrisy - the autopilot system yells at you to keep your eyes on the road if you’re looking at the screen, yet they design a UI that makes you look at the screen. More critically, the very situations where you need these controls (i.e. inclement weather) are the situations where you shouldn’t be using autopilot and shouldn’t be taking your eyes off the road.
<bigger sigh>

Voice commands are not a substitute for a poorly (re)designed UI.

Why do people keep suggesting this?
You are, of course, correct. They keep suggesting this because they have no defense for the crap UI.
Great example of first world problems and me me me mentality “Why do I have to interrupt my music, or my conversation, to turn my seat heater on/off or put on my windshield wipers??”
WTF???? Of all the banal arguments I’ve seen here, this takes the cake.

Because when the car is moving, driving (and needed actions to help driving safely like turning on the wipers) is the PRIORITY. And using voice command is the safest possible way to avoid taking the eyes off the road.
Don’t get me wrong, i agree Tesla can certainly improve their UI.
Please refer to @iluvmacs’ post - VOICE COMMANDS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A POORLY DESIGNED UI!
The repeated excuse of ‘well you can just use voice commands’ is old and tiresome; there are many reasons why that have been well described.

And I’ll ask again (mostly rhetorically because I know the answer,) Why were any of these changes necessary? What did they accomplish other than making the car harder to drive?

Where did I do that? Please work on your reading comprehension. I suggested that Toyota’s UI was easier to use. You can turn on the wipers adjust their speed, turn on the defroster, turn on the rear defroster, turn on the heated seats and adjust the heater temp all without taking your eyes off the road.

It also has Apple CarPlay which allows for Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, A Better Route planner and other map apps. It has a better podcast app (and allows for multiple other podcast apps, even TuneIn if you prefer a POS) it has Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Amazon Music, Sirius. It also has audiobooks. I will admit that it doesn’t have a web browser, tiktok or sonic. Evidently Toyota is smart enough to know that people shouldn’t be watching tiktok, surfing the web or playing games while they drive.

You never did explain how and why you think the new UI is easier to use.

Quite true. I’d also note Tesla’s hypocrisy - the autopilot system yells at you to keep your eyes on the road if you’re looking at the screen, yet they design a UI that makes you look at the screen. More critically, the very situations where you need these controls (i.e. inclement weather) are the situations where you shouldn’t be using autopilot and shouldn’t be taking your eyes off the road.

You are, of course, correct. They keep suggesting this because they have no defense for the crap UI.

WTF???? Of all the banal arguments I’ve seen here, this takes the cake.

Please refer to @iluvmacs’ post - VOICE COMMANDS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A POORLY DESIGNED UI!
The repeated excuse of ‘well you can just use voice commands’ is old and tiresome; there are many reasons why that have been well described.

And I’ll ask again (mostly rhetorically because I know the answer,) Why were any of these changes necessary? What did they accomplish other than making the car harder to drive?
“What did they accomplish other than making the car harder to drive?”
If this update made you harder to drive your car maybe driving isn’t for you after all. Gosh so many drama queens here. I am done. Have fun crying to each other.

Because ppl are asking the wrong questions. If you say "I can't turn on the seat heaters without using three clicks" then of course people are going to point out that you can use voice commands. If you say "I would prefer to have one-click access to the seat heaters, with visual feedback if they are on/off" then you wont get (or should not get) voice command suggestions.
There’s no reason why there can’t be several ways to execute a function. Swiping the screen and voice commands are not mutually exclusive. A simple example are the windshield wipers: both voice and swiping are fine and needed.

The issue are the changes made in v11 which are not good or are just broken.
Example: “odometer”. Used to work, now gives you “Command not understood”.
Example: “tire pressure”. Used to work, now gives you “Command not understood”.

But primarily, I think we’re debating priority: putting games on the major toolbar and removing seat heaters shows intent to prioritize stupid games and tricks over functions which 90% of North Americans need. I do realize that Tesla engineers (and some commenters here) are based in California where seat heaters are not a priority, so maybe they prioritize games over features they personally don’t need. In any event, the whole UI needs a major rethink to make it more useful to the 90% of us who need easy access to these functions.

There’s no reason why there can’t be several ways to execute a function. Swiping the screen and voice commands are not mutually exclusive. A simple example are the windshield wipers: both voice and swiping are fine and needed.

The issue are the changes made in v11 which are not good or are just broken.
Example: “odometer”. Used to work, now gives you “Command not understood”.
Example: “tire pressure”. Used to work, now gives you “Command not understood”.

But primarily, I think we’re debating priority: putting games on the major toolbar and removing seat heaters shows intent to prioritize stupid games and tricks over functions which 90% of North Americans need. I do realize that Tesla engineers (and some commenters here) are based in California where seat heaters are not a priority, so maybe they prioritize games over features they personally don’t need. In any event, the whole UI needs a major rethink to make it more useful to the 90% of us who need easy access to these functions.
I didn't say there were. I was merely noting that people were asking the wrong questions. In fact its good that there are both voice and button commands. I suspect the broken voice commands will get fixed, and are probably a bug related to the way the commands interact with the UI.

Just a simple thought, technically when we say UI, aren’t we referring to a touch screen type interface or even simpler a software interface? Suggesting the UI can be improved by adding physical buttons doesn’t work. Those physical buttons aren’t part of the UI so you aren’t improving it by adding them. You are bypassing the UI much like using voice commands which are activated by a button. Just wanted to stir the pot a bit.

Hopefully no one on here tries to upgrade to a Plaid vehicle. There are even less buttons and levers there…

Reactions: Tezlowski
Imagine if Samsung, LG, Sony, etc., could arbitrarily change the buttons on your TV remote…. Where every time you pick it up you don’t recognize it or can even use it. Volume and channel have swapped position, or maybe not even be there anymore in favor of voice command. Basic features are now automated to someone’s else’s idea of what’s preferred.
You gotta grab the manual, search the web, or screw around with it for an hour, just to change the TV channel.
You wouldn’t like it.
Thats what Tesla has done here.

The bottom line is V11 is horribly flawed and total crap.
V10 design and layout had it right. Build on that, don’t change it.

If they wanted to add customizable icons, fine, but don’t change what was previously there.
Voice command is fine. But don’t change the commands, as updates are made.
That’s just common sense.

I really don’t want to constantly relearn how to operate the functions , study the PDF owners manual again, or endlessly browse the forums to figure out pointless changes so I can enjoy all the feature of my new electric car

Imagine if Samsung, LG, Sony, etc., could arbitrarily change the buttons on your TV remote…. Where every time you pick it up you don’t recognize it or can even use it. Volume and channel have swapped position, or maybe not even be there anymore in favor of voice command. Basic features are now automated to someone’s else’s idea of what’s preferred.
You gotta grab the manual, search the web, or screw around with it for an hour, just to change the TV channel.
You wouldn’t like it.
Thats what Tesla has done here.

V10 design and layout had it right. Build on that, don’t change it.

If they wanted to add customizable icons, fine, but don’t change what was previously there.
Voice command is fine. But don’t change the commands, as updates are made.
That’s just common sense.

I really don’t want to constantly relearn how to operate the functions , study the PDF owners manual again, or endlessly browse the forums to figure out pointless changes so I can enjoy all the feature of my new electric car
It’s kinda different in this case. Tv remotes have manual hard buttons and not software driven screen buttons that can be updated.
A good analogy would be to compare to an IOS software update. Every time Apple releases a full IOS software update there are many that complain because they have to relearn how things work. Anyone remember when the IPhone home button went away? There was mass hysteria and now you hear nothing because people learned how things work.

If Voice is working and if the command exists and you can figure out which phrase will work.
…and therein lies the problem. Why do I have to figure out a phrase that works? Why can’t the voice command interpreter understand what I want to do and the several ways I might say to do that? And that’s of course when voice command works at all. Many who have success with voice commands refuse to admit that cellular service is anything but excellent throughout the country. This is decidedly not the case. I’ve lost service on mountain drives, in large cities among tall buildings, and indeed at my urban home where AT&T service is weak at best. No cellular = no voice command. While a convenience when it works AND responds to the commands I give it, voice command should not be the only or even the primary method of accomplishing something key to driving the vehicle. Only my opinion of course, apparently many other disagree.

I don't know, but I don't get all this agonizing over the AC system. When I first got the car I set AC to AUTO, 70 degrees and set the aim for blowers. I haven't touched it since except for putting seat heat to AUTO today (while parked) and I have no complaints about comfort. I do make sure that DEFROSTs are on before setting out in winter precipitation.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Nonsense. Sure, it has things you think are bad, that's fine .. but saying things like this makes you sound like a spoiled child. If you want to get V11 fixed, try making it clear what you think is wrong, and maybe it will get fixed. In fact, as I've said elsewhere, there are a log of things to like in V11, and a LOT that makes sense if you are new to Tesla. It's way far from perfect .. and someone probably needs to get a serious talking to in Tesla about some of the more dubious decisions, but it's not "total crap" .. if you want to that go try a BMW or VW UI.