Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Experience at Highland Park Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a Maserati salesman tell me that "test drives for exotic cars are limited" when I was looking at a Gran Turismo many years ago - kind of the same experience. I left a feed-back message on the Maserati site, never purchased one after that.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Thought this kind of stuff was done with, I had something like this in 1971 when I got out of the service and went into a Porsche dealer with $7000 cash in my pocket looking to buy a 912. Granted I was 23 and in shorts and a t shirt, could not get a salesman to talk to me. They made a decision that I was not a buyer, to bad for them they missed out on a sale. Surprised a Tesla store would have that attitude.

...I went on a nice test drive, when returning I asked the salesman some questions, and he didn't know the first thing about anything and had 100% of his information incorrect, from lease prices to lease terms, etc etc. I was ready to order/buy one on the spot, but was put off by the ignorance of the salesmen there...

there seems to be a huge flaw in the training of the in-store staff nowadays. it seems as though they've been rushed into their positions without much training, then booted into the deep end...i actually kind of feel sorry for them and tesla's image. definitely not like it used to be :(

in fact i called our local showroom last week to ask if there would be any cream interior cars to look at the following day for the ride and drive event they were having, the kid on the phone was like, "what? we aren't having any event"...i drove past the next day and there was a sign outside the store with the event details...communication much?

Reactions: boaterva
This issue has been going on since the automobile dealerships first offered test drives.

Lots of people want to take free test rides, especially in specialty vehicles. Nothing better to do, but want to drive all the fastest and most desirable cars. Waste the sales people's time, put hard miles on expensive cars, and never intend to buy anything, but are the first to get their noses bent if the salesperson denies them the thrill.
This makes it difficult for people truly interested in a purchase, but still needing a test ride to finalize their decision.

What is a salesperson to do. Just let anyone that walks in the door drive around to experience a $100,000 car just for fun.

Most are trained to try to walk the line, where lookie loos are denied the ride, but serious potential buyers are given the full test drive experience.

If you walk in, just looking like you want a joy ride, you will probably be denied. If you chat up the salespeople, ask some questions, and indicate a sincere desire to own one, you will probably be offered the ride.

To induce purchases, sometimes even an over-night take the car home test drive might be offered. Depends on how sales are going, and if they need to keep the production lines full.

It is up to each individual, wanting a test drive, to present himself in a manner that suggests the test ride will be of benefit to the one offering it. It is not something you automatically get. You need to earn the offer.

This issue has been going on since the automobile dealerships first offered test drives.

Lots of people want to take free test rides, especially in specialty vehicles. Nothing better to do, but want to drive all the fastest and most desirable cars. Waste the sales people's time, put hard miles on expensive cars, and never intend to buy anything, but are the first to get their noses bent if the salesperson denies them the thrill.
This makes it difficult for people truly interested in a purchase, but still needing a test ride to finalize their decision.

What is a salesperson to do. Just let anyone that walks in the door drive around to experience a $100,000 car just for fun.

Most are trained to try to walk the line, where lookie loos are denied the ride, but serious potential buyers are given the full test drive experience.

If you walk in, just looking like you want a joy ride, you will probably be denied. If you chat up the salespeople, ask some questions, and indicate a sincere desire to own one, you will probably be offered the ride.

To induce purchases, sometimes even an over-night take the car home test drive might be offered. Depends on how sales are going, and if they need to keep the production lines full.

It is up to each individual, wanting a test drive, to present himself in a manner that suggests the test ride will be of benefit to the one offering it. It is not something you automatically get. You need to earn the offer.
. Yes the dealerships don't want random people joy riding and test driving however if I want to purchase a car I don't want to be denied a test drive because the salesman thinks I can't afford the car. I don't need to prove to the salesman that I can afford the car if they want me to prove it than I will just leave. If they don't want me to buy a car, than okay I won't and they will lose their commission.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark

not the way tesla used to be...perhaps they feel they don't need to prove anybody wrong anymore now that they have enough of a name?

the thing is that the driving experience is so unique that they should be willing to give anybody outside of a panhandler at least a test "ride", after the experience most people have a paradigm shift that's irreversible.

i let 2 of my redneck friends drive and ride in my car this past weekend, and they were astounded and blown away. we started talking numbers and looking at inventory cars as we were walking back into the house...it never gets old.

I'm in Chicago. I've always bought a couple Teslas from the Chicago location but have been up to Highland Park at times - that one is busy, not too nice, and haven't worked with the staff too much. All the other showrooms seem great though in the malls/etc. Rest assured Tesla service is wonderful though - you hopefully won't need it as much as us earlier X owners have (lots in past, but none lately).

If you need any local advice feel free to PM me. Love the car, lots of tips for getting used to it, adjusting to electric reality, etc. Also know a good electrician if needed (family friend we used for cheap but amazing job).

-Travis

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcook4590
I'm in Chicago. I've always bought a couple Teslas from the Chicago location but have been up to Highland Park at times - that one is busy, not too nice, and haven't worked with the staff too much. All the other showrooms seem great though in the malls/etc. Rest assured Tesla service is wonderful though - you hopefully won't need it as much as us earlier X owners have (lots in past, but none lately).

If you need any local advice feel free to PM me. Love the car, lots of tips for getting used to it, adjusting to electric reality, etc. Also know a good electrician if needed (family friend we used for cheap but amazing job).

-Travis
Yes, can you please PM me the electrician were currently deciding what we want to install for charging.

Me and my wife were in the market for a Model X. We visited the Highland Park showroom last Saturday and we were treated terribly. For starters the showroom has a single model x, the showroom is dirty and unorganized. We literally stood there for 20 minutes looking at the showroom car before I had to go get someone to help us. You know what that's ok but the part that really pissed me off was that EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT WORKS THEIR IS SO ARROGANT they did not want to help me, and when I inquired about a home test drive because I have limited time they told me that home test drives were only for "serious buyers" only. At that point me and my wife were fuming. Needless to say we left and went too Tesla Oakbrook. They were so genuine and so kind, no snottiness or anything, very helpful and cheerful, they gladly set up a home test drive and the day after the test drive we placed an order for a pearl white MX 100D. I also made sure delivery was not at Highland Park. I feel Highland Park definitely needs a renovation and new training for their staff. I don't expect this type of arrogance when buying a 25k Prius much less a 125k tesla. The employees should not judge you based on the clothes that we were wearing or anything of that sort. These employees almost made us not want to purchase our dream car with the company we supported since the beginning. If not for David at Tesla Oakbrook we would be at Bentley right now finalizing a lease for a new bentayga instead of a model x. Have you guys ever had an bad experience with Tesla. How would you have reacted when a Tesla employee said the you weren't a "serious buyer".
I had the exact same thing buying a new Subaru Liberty (Legacy) in my mid twenties.
Went to the dealer fully ready to purchase a $40,000 car and couldn’t get them to let me test drive. Terrible attitude. Was with my fiancé at the time.
We drove up to another dealer who cheerfully let us take the car out on our own for half an hour. We bought the car that afternoon.

Exactly right.

Indeed.

Me and my wife were in the market

I think I see the problem.

I don’t know the neighborhoods, sorry, is this some classic thing in the two areas? Or something special to Tesla? I mean, are we talking Beverly Hills sort of BS or something?

I’ve heard of some of the Chicago areas but didn’t think they had turned into that sort of elitism.

Friend of mine way back went into a BMW dealer and was treated the same way (of course, she was a young women at the time, but they had no idea how much money she had or didn’t have!).

Your hunch has some merit. . . The Highland Park SC was the first in Chicago (I think), so is pretty dated and is ALWAYS busy. It also sits among the most affluent suburbs in the Chicago area- old money AND new money. . . so it's not a stretch to think the staff have become a bit jaded by the clientele. I'm sure they could tell some war stories about ridiculous customers. . .

That said, it doesn't excuse the behavior described in the OP's post. I did order and take receipt of my vehicle from HP and was passed around to 3 OAs (after I ordered same day I test drove), and then had my DS hand off to someone mid delivery "event" because my original DS was double booked.

I had read the forums and knew the delivery experience was hit and miss and I think it's all about expectation setting. I rolled out of there happy as a clam.

I digress, however. The issue here is the buying experience, he!!, not even buying just the flippin' shopping experience, and this story makes me cringe.

I know for a fact that they move people in Chicago around the different SCs, and my original OA actually went to Oak Brook ironically.

I agree with the post indicting possible poor management, poor training etc. Most of the employees can't afford a Tesla frankly, and therefore your best bet for info on the car is here in the forum.

Good luck and enjoy the car, it will exceed your expectations.

My wife and I test drove a Tesla the first time just for fun. We had zero intention of buying a car that expensive. We were just looking for something fun to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Four years and two Tesla's later (and a Model 3 on the way), we've also signed a contract with Solar City for rooftop solar and a Powerwall.

So, I'm really glad that our first experience wasn't like the OP's or we'd probably still not have given Tesla any of our money.