Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Experience at Highland Park Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not unusual at all. I picked my MX at Centinela SC in LA 6 months ago and it’s easier to say what I didn’t have issues with- delivery timing, SA attitudes, subsequent bad/incomplete repairs, poor communication, etc. Now I found another SC which has been nothing but wonderful. Welcome to Tesla ownership lol.

How would you have reacted when a Tesla employee said the you weren't a "serious buyer"

I am not a twitter user but have read that Elon does read and personally respond to his twitter followers inquiries. If you're that upset at the Highland Park treatment ( I would be as well !) tell him in a tweet.Give him specifics

Reactions: Krugerrand
No excuse making here, but even with no commissions and the like, they are compensated somehow for sales. And psychologically they would gravitate to people that would tend to be more likely (in their opinion, right or wrong) to make a purchase.

Just sayin’. Unfortunately.
They are definitely paid on some kind of commission. As soon as I mentioned that I've never bought a non-used car before the test drive was cut short and I was navigated back on the quickest route. I was also treated rudely and I tried to remove this person as my sales advisor, but they wouldn't let me. Tesla doesn't incentivize their sales advisors to be nice.

i was looking for that article...

you should have seen the replies from the other auto dealers saying to come to their showroom because they don't judge, yeah right.

I read some other story of a guy that walked into a dealership dressed with ripped jeans and a t-shirt (something along those lines) and he was ignored by dealership staff as long as possible before the sales rep that drew the short stick finally went to talk to him. The guy was pissed he was disrespected, so he went to another dealership down the street and proceeded to buy MULTIPLE cars on the spot. Turned out the guy was some famous rock band musician.

Reactions: Peteybabes
when I inquired about a home test drive because I have limited time they told me that home test drives were only for "serious buyers" only.

The thing was I was just asking for a regular test drive not an overnight one if it was an overnight then fine I'll give you some financial info so Tesla can make sure that I wasn't planning to steal the car.

That’s even worse. A regular test drive takes about 15 minutes and they are in the car. Sheesh.

I'm confused which is it?

* a home test drive
* a regular test drive with no sales person in the car
* a regular test drive with a sales person in the car

When you say "home test drive" the first question I'd ask is for your home address to figure out how many miles you plan to put on the car.

If you aren't taking it home, then the with or without salesperson different is minor in comparison.

When I was young I went into Patrick BMW to get a 5 series. I walked in and three salespeople laughed at me and said "maybe you should try the used car department. Bwah, bwah, bwah!!" So, I did. The used car department was basically a trailer with a screen door and rebuilt engine crates for desks. The cigarette-infused salesman showed me a black on black, 540i w sports package and manual transmission with like 2,000 miles on it. Sold! Exactly what I wanted.:cool:

So I'm standing around the front of the dealer when Biff and Company come out to see if I was able to find something in the used car department, and here comes my sweet ride from the car wash. The lead jamoke actually got upset at my polyester-clad, Newport Lights-treated salesman for "taking the sale" somehow. And I remember just saying to his face "Well, you didn't get the sale because you guys all laughed at me and told me to try my luck in the used car department. So I did." I loved driving that car, but maintenance was insane after the included service expired.

Car salespeople aren't actually humans. Look it up. They're not even covered by the Geneva Convention. They're more like orcs or Agent Smiths. And I've worked in retail before and know it is possible to not be a complete ass to those whom you think may not spend any money.

As for an on-topic point, I went to Oakbrook and they were totally cool. They actually suggested I take the loaner over night to see if it would fit in my short, city garage. I took delivery downtown, and it was okay. They're nice in there, but it's a tight space and they're always busy.

Me and my wife were in the market for a Model X. We visited the Highland Park showroom last Saturday and we were treated terribly. For starters the showroom has a single model x, the showroom is dirty and unorganized. We literally stood there for 20 minutes looking at the showroom car before I had to go get someone to help us. You know what that's ok but the part that really pissed me off was that EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT WORKS THEIR IS SO ARROGANT they did not want to help me, and when I inquired about a home test drive because I have limited time they told me that home test drives were only for "serious buyers" only. At that point me and my wife were fuming. Needless to say we left and went too Tesla Oakbrook. They were so genuine and so kind, no snottiness or anything, very helpful and cheerful, they gladly set up a home test drive and the day after the test drive we placed an order for a pearl white MX 100D. I also made sure delivery was not at Highland Park. I feel Highland Park definitely needs a renovation and new training for their staff. I don't expect this type of arrogance when buying a 25k Prius much less a 125k tesla. The employees should not judge you based on the clothes that we were wearing or anything of that sort. These employees almost made us not want to purchase our dream car with the company we supported since the beginning. If not for David at Tesla Oakbrook we would be at Bentley right now finalizing a lease for a new bentayga instead of a model x. Have you guys ever had an bad experience with Tesla. How would you have reacted when a Tesla employee said the you weren't a "serious buyer".

This is at odds with every experience I've ever had at Tesla Highland Park. From the sales staff to the service staff, I've always been well treated.

If anyone needs a good OA from Highland Park, ask for Guy. He is great. Very laid back. Knowledgeable (doesn't own a Tesla but he knows more than most on this forum).

I've been to Highland Park 6-10 times and I've never seen them be anything but courteous, professional, and informative to customers. I would recommend that location to anyone looking for a Tesla and/or a test drive.

I will say that I booked my test drive to the Tesla website and that the location is busy and recommends booking a test drive rather than dropping by. Maybe that is unacceptable to some buyers, but I value my time as well and found it to be very pleasant when Guy was available on time as planned for our test drives (yes, we took 2 because my wife and I both needed to be sure with such an expensive purchase) AND we did another after placing the order with my brother because I value his opinion. Guy accommodated all requests professionally. Even my DS was fairly communicative (way more than I hear about from others posting here).

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
If you are going to HP, ask for Matt. He knows the product inside and out... We’ve bought three Tesla’s at HP and he’s a pleasure to work with.

Totally agree. Matt was awesome. . . .he even followed up with an 8X10 autograph for me. His room mate is brother of a star Wisconsin Badger football player. I merely mentioned that I was a Badger fan and it accompanied his thank you note. Very impressive attention to detail. I left him a message about my 3. . . hoping to hear soon!

Reactions: MisterT2
I'm confused which is it?

* a home test drive
* a regular test drive with no sales person in the car
* a regular test drive with a sales person in the car

When you say "home test drive" the first question I'd ask is for your home address to figure out how many miles you plan to put on the car.

If you aren't taking it home, then the with or without salesperson different is minor in comparison.
I live a mile away from the showroom and I just wanted a home one because there weekends were booked full for the next month so I requested a home because I would be able to do it in a week. I was just asking for a home test rive with salesman in car for 15 minutes not an overnight.

As many commenters above stated it is not possible to know for sure who is a serious buyer, sometimes they get it wrong, not ill intended.

Even though Tesla doesn't always give the optimal experience I have to say it is orders of magnitudes better than traditional dealer experience. No matter where in the world I have visited a Tesla store it has been mostly fun and pleasant, whereas I feel dealer visits have mostly been dreadful.
My problem with dealers is I know too much about cars so I can tell when they lye to me, which has been all of the time. Almost never happened in the Tesla store.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I live a mile away from the showroom and I just wanted a home one because there weekends were booked full for the next month so I requested a home because I would be able to do it in a week. I was just asking for a home test rive with salesman in car for 15 minutes not an overnight.

If you just signed up for a test drive beforehand and after showing your license and signing the ipad, you could've easily requested the OA let you drive to your house instead of along 41 / 94.

BTW, Tesla HP is also very family friendly. They've been great to my 2 year old (they give her Tesla coloring books and colored pencils when we come in for service). She even spilled a bottle of water on accident and they were very gracious about it.

They also throw social events that, at least for the one I went to, was a lot of fun and had Real Urban BBQ catering. They had the kid tesla cars and a small race track and it seemed to me like it was a well planned event aimed at getting owners together (and not necessarily selling cars).

So if anyone else reads this thread, consider that perhaps OP's experience is not representative nor reflective of the actual sales staff/store experience.