Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
Based on the dates cited in the article, 10/7 was when Fremont started production of MYLR w/ comfort suspension. Did you take delivery on 10/22 or did you confirm w/ Tesla that 10/22 was mfr. date?
I took delivery in November. 10/22 manufacture month is clearly marked on the sticker on the driver door frame. Maybe it is a comfort suspension and I’m so used to my plush S class ride that feeling the “micro bumps” on a bad road is getting on my nerves a little. It’s wonderfully sporty on a good quality road.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I took delivery in November. 10/22 manufacture month is clearly marked on the sticker on the driver door frame. Maybe it is a comfort suspension and I’m so used to my plush S class ride that feeling the “micro bumps” on a bad road is getting on my nerves a little. It’s wonderfully sporty on a good quality road.
The build date indicated in the door jamb is month/year but I'm talking about the mfr. date which is a specific date. 10/22 could mean any day from 10/1/22 -10/31/22 and 10/7/22 is when the new suspension was supposedly included/

Upvote 0
I have an Austin-built MYLR that was made in 09/2022. I logged into my Tesla EPC account and searched for my VIN and can confirm that the suspension is different than older 2020 and 2021 models. I'm planning on meeting up with someone with an older Y to do a comparison.

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I pulled it up in EPC
1667700898384.png

Parts from older 2020/2021 models
1667700930314.png

Upvote 0
I have an Austin-built MYLR that was made in 09/2022. I logged into my Tesla EPC account and searched for my VIN and can confirm that the suspension is different than older 2020 and 2021 models. I'm planning on meeting up with someone with an older Y to do a comparison.

When I go into EPC, I don't see the prices like your screen shots have...It says "General Public" at the top of the screen by my email address, if that mean anything. Is there some additional setup I need to do? Thanks.

Upvote 0

1667700898384.png

1667700930314.png
Wish I could interpret. "DAMPER" sounds like shocks. "COIL" sounds like spring. Same part? Does "FR" mean front? All of them? Why do some have no cost? So many questions! 😂 o_O

Upvote 0
Wish I could interpret. "DAMPER" sounds like shocks. "COIL" sounds like spring. Same part? Does "FR" mean front? All of them?
@Noflash The diagrams in a parts catalog generally make it clear what each part number encompasses. You can register for free and see at https://epc.tesla.com/

As @misdemeanor said you won't see pricing with a free EPC account, but if you are serious about maybe buying certain parts, file a service request for it and they'll send you an invoice. Approve the invoice and they'll actually order the parts for you. :) List the exact part numbers you want of course, and make it clear you're asking for parts only, no install / no labor. (Unless you want Tesla service to install as well, which they may or may not be willing to do if they don't think those parts belong on your car. You can certainly ask!)

Word of warning, I don't know if the parts pricing @misdemeanor gets with a shop account is the same as Tesla charges direct to consumer. Could be those are cheaper prices than we would pay. In fact, $85 for a whole coilover assembly seems shockingly cheap to me, even if that is close to at cost for Tesla. (sorry about the pun, I had to)

That said, I was once told Tesla's budget for Model 3/Y dampers is ridiculously cheap, and that's why the stock ones are so mediocre. (Or were mediocre before these new versions?)
Why do some have no cost? So many questions! 😂 o_O
I'm guessing no prices because they're not for the VIN that @misdemeanor entered, but that is a total guess, could be something different.

Upvote 0
Can you buy and resell the parts? Can you install them?
@wondering You can order most parts directly from Tesla, including these. Anything listed as "over-the-counter" the service centers will (should) sell to you even if it wasn't original on your car. No need for someone to resell them to you, unless you don't want to visit a service center to pick them up.

In many cases Tesla is willing to install too, but an independent shop could potentially be cheaper for that of course. I've no idea how service center staff might feel about installing "AUSTIN" dampers on a non-Austin car. I think if their catalog tells them the parts aren't compatible, they probably won't want to try.

Upvote 0

1667700898384.png

1667700930314.png
I logged into my account and don’t see how to pull up this kind of information. How or where can I pull this up?

Upvote 0