Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long are you determined to keep your Model S for?

How many years will you keep your Model S?

• < 5 years

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • 15+ years

Votes: 32 24.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In how many years will the collector market price for a "daily driver, original owner" Sig meet or exceed the original sticker price? And for Sig Perf?
40 years. At that point it will have been a "classic" for 20 years. If you've somehow got yours still running and in good condition -- perhaps if your daily drive is less than 10 miles, like mine -- the exceedingly good condition of your Sig will probably make it a collector's item at that point; most of the cars will have died in one manner or another by then.

Yeah, totally not worth it as an investment.

I'm planning to keep mine for a minimum of ten years, but I'm hoping for longer. If I can keep it for 20 years or up, I'd be truly happy.

Edit: Ten years is typical for me to keep driving the same car. I'm hoping to keep this longer; the parts which break on other cars *mostly* don't exist, but within the next 20 years, in addition to typical maintenance (lead-acid battery replacement etc.), I will probably have to repair / replace the brake lines, air suspension, and likely the electric socket door (awfully fragile), and perhaps bumpers and metal exterior trim, and I will probably need to repaint it at least once. That's OK; that's still probably going to be cheaper than getting a new car.

Last edited:
It is hard to know what new thing will come along or how my needs will change in the future.

I sold my first car ( a sports car ) and "upgraded" to an SUV because I needed more cargo space.
I sold the SUV and got a Prius because I no longer needed the cargo space and the SUV was wasteful.

The Model S is quicker than the sports car was.
It has greater passenger + cargo capacity than the SUV did.
And it is more efficient and cleaner than the Prius.

I think I will keep it a long time.

Depends on how much I like the X when comes out. If I'd prefer an X for everyday driving and I'm happy with Tesla in general, I'll probably sell my S and get an X. I do a lot of carpools with lots of boys and sports equipment so an X may be more practical. Currently I drive a Prius as often as possible for the efficiency of it and a Land Rover as little as possible for the utility of it. I'll still be hanging on to the Land Rover after I get my S, but it would be nice for an X to take the place of the Land Rover too. So I may hang on to the S for a relatively short time, but I've got to believe it will have a fabulous resale value.

My first new car went 18 years before I replaced it with my current car. My wife's is on 12 years and we're replacing it with the Model S.

So somewhere around 15 years. I'm guessing 15+ because I think the car will continue to be worthwhile even in 15 years.