Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long are you determined to keep your Model S for?

How many years will you keep your Model S?

• < 5 years

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • 15+ years

Votes: 32 24.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15+ years. i'd like to push my 85kWh battery about 12 years, then upgrade to a newer technology battery by then. If that's not an option, I'll drive it to its death I guess.

GG: why not make this a poll? And off topic: I graduated from U of I in Champaign in 2002...I guess you went there a few years earlier?

GG: why not make this a poll?

A poll it is! Should show up shortly.

And off topic: I graduated from U of I in Champaign in 2002...I guess you went there a few years earlier?

Cool! Yup, got out of grad school in 1999 back when the Fighting Illini were terrible and even had an 0-11 season in football!

With P 1,577 and 85 kWh, you are going to beat me to the Model S :)

I am amazed about the long times in the poll. We are all early adopters and many of us don't keep their "toys" just long enough for something new and cool to come out. 10-20 years, really? I would love to hear from the people here that say > 10 years in about 5 :)

I am amazed about the long times in the poll. We are all early adopters and many of us don't keep their "toys" just long enough for something new and cool to come out. 10-20 years, really? I would love to hear from the people here that say > 10 years in about 5 :)
I suspect a great many of us don't consider this a toy. Unless you're rolling in cash, a car, especially an expensive one, is in a whole different category of purchase than an iPad. I flat out wouldn't even consider the Model S except that part it's appeal is the likelihood of a very long life due to a simpler mechanical design.

I suspect a great many of us don't consider this a toy. Unless you're rolling in cash, a car, especially an expensive one, is in a whole different category of purchase than an iPad. I flat out wouldn't even consider the Model S except that part it's appeal is the likelihood of a very long life due to a simpler mechanical design.

Precisely. It's big appeal is the simplicity/complexity duality in this car. As long as the car remains thrilling to drive, it will be a valuable member of anyone's garage.

I am of two minds. The previous methodology on a regular car was to go about 80k (8yrs?) to get the value out but thats as much as i can stand before I must get into the new tech. But this is the special new gen transition vehicle and wouldn't I want to hold it as a collector? but I don't have the Leno parking lot. Man that's a tough question. My best guess is that I will have to move on to the next model, maybe even sooner that I used to since things move so much faster.

I am debating. I think there will be rapid improvment, so maybe I should plan on 5-7 years. Since the cars will improve in a couple of years, maybe our depreciation will be high. Should I get a small battery and plan on trading up in a few years--less risk, or should I go for it and keep the car for a long time. If I get the small battery I can afford to buy a decent ICE for long trips. I am far enough down the list more information will be available to help make the decision.

Many of us are pushing our budgets to get a Model S so, it only makes sense that we would want to keep it for a loooong time to recoup the upfront cost in gas savings, etc. Assuming that Tesla or some third-party will make battery replacements / refurbishment options available as needed over the years, how long would you keep the car?

In theory, I want to keep the car 'forever' (atleast as a second car) but, practically speaking, I'm committing to atleast 15 years! I'll be 50 then and will surely have some midlife crisis that'll make me want to buy Model Z or whatever ;)

This is inspiring stuff btw:

BBC News - For sale: 1964 Mercury, one lady owner, 576,000 miles

At long as I live (or until they make me stop driving). I would expect that to be 15 years or more.

The longest I ever owned a car is my current car, which is 5 years. Previously, I leased a new car every 2-3 years.
This one, I expect to own until 2021, when I turn 50 -- at that point, all my kids will be too big for the rear seats and I will upgrade to whatever Tesla has for me -- or give the S to my oldest daughter as she will be 16 then.
All I know, is that it has to last at least that long -- this thing when paid for and driven for the first mile will be 1/3 of my remaining mortgage!

I tend to get tired of cars after 5 years or so, but my 03 MINI broke that mold, so I'm thinking at least 10 as I'm betting I'll be able to swap in a bigger battery after the warranty runs out in 8 years.

I'm not thrilled with the Model S's looks. To me it looks like almost every other car made during the last century with it's three-box design.

OMG!! I was thinking the same thing! After the beta body changes it started to look too much like my current 2003 dodge intrepid instead of a jag/Aston Martin as the beta did. I was trying to force myself to like it because of it's internals. I couldn't stand the idea of driving a car that looked so similar for the next 20 years, so I switched to the Model X. The one thing I like most about the Model X is the front isn't as long as the Model S.

I'll keep it until it does not become economically viable (costs for repair would be more than a new car payment). I hope I can get 20 + years out of it since it has very few moving parts and I would be fine even with 50% of the battery remaining

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the ability to *upgrade* with new apps in the future will keep the Model S current for a longer time into the future.

apps, and hopefully, hardware/functionality (adaptive cruise et al). As long as my trusty ole sig can keep up, I'll be hanging in there. Originally I thought about jumping ship when AWD became available, but with that on the Model X from the start and the posts from members here re: how well the Roadster does in the snow, I don't think it'll be an issue (aside from less performance).

I wonder if they'll charge for OS (on the touchscreen) updates after a while? i.e. the maps have X years of free updates, will the OS as well? Will it get fragmented when newer versions of the S roll off the line?

I can't get over the feeling that the touchscreen is going to look dated in 5-10 years. I can't imagine what will be newer (holographic projections?) but somehow I just picture it looking like a giant 8 track player sometime well before the car dies.

Haha. Not a chance. First of all, they're way ahead of the curve with that touchscreen. Secondly, even 10 year old cars with small LCDs and antiquated NAV systems don't look awful today. If the quality of the interior is good and has a timeless, elegant look that'll matter more. The car interior hasn't really changed a whole lot in the past 40 years when you think about it. The car radio has always been there. It started to include a cassette tape player. Followed by a CD player. Followed by LCD screens and NAV systems. But they're all in the middle, surrounded by the usual host of buttons and knobs to control things like the volume, temperature, etc.

But as for the original question. I'd like to keep my Model S for 20 years if possible. I'm a firm believer in not replacing things that work perfectly fine, even if they aren't the latest and greatest. I'm making an exception to the rule with the Model S, but it's generally the most environmentally friendly decision to keep the car you have. Since it is something that I want to last and be happy with, I do want all aspects of the car to be top notch. Given the money involved and the large depreciation of used luxury cars in general, it's not exactly an efficient process to decide you're unhappy with the car (or missing a certain feature) and sell it, before making another purchase. For that reason, I'm not afraid to defer my place in line if I am not content with the interior.

In a perfect world, the Model S would have some interior storage space, door pockets, cup holders and pockets for the back seats, adaptive cruise control, parking guidance, lane assist/blind spot detection, night vision, heads-up display, pre-collision detection, power side mirrors, ventilated cooling for all seats, heated back seats, a heated steering wheel, capacity to store more than just 500/3000 songs, power open/close trunk, All-Wheel Drive, etc. And if it did, those additional features would certainly make me feel more comfortable about the car for long haul. And perhaps with enough patience it will get at least some of those features in the near future.