Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will a model 3 last and what tesla to replace it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When would it be worth to consider purchasing another Tesla or EV from competitor? I currently own a mid range Model 3 2018. Currenty is around 51,800 miles now. I got this car in Dec 31, 2018. So it's almost 3 years old. How many miles will the Model 3 last for until it becomes too expensive to repair and could warrant a new car purchase?

I'm just wondering if I did get a 2nd Tesla, which one would be good to accompany a Model 3 if I still own it? If money is not an issue. I thought Model X because its bigger and can haul stuff, and take more people for a comfortable road trip. And Model X I think is the only one with self closing doors, which is something I really want.

Will there ever be another Model X refresh besides the current interior one? Like an exterior & interior refresh, not just some half way refresh?

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
When would it be worth to consider purchasing another Tesla or EV from competitor? I currently own a mid range Model 3 2018. Currenty is around 51,800 miles now. I got this car in Dec 31, 2018. So it's almost 3 years old. How many miles will the Model 3 last for until it becomes too expensive to repair and could warrant a new car purchase?

I'm just wondering if I did get a 2nd Tesla, which one would be good to accompany a Model 3 if I still own it? If money is not an issue. I thought Model X because its bigger and can haul stuff, and take more people for a comfortable road trip. And Model X I think is the only one with self closing doors, which is something I really want.

Will there ever be another Model X refresh besides the current interior one? Like an exterior & interior refresh, not just some half way refresh?
Whenever your battery dies. Based on Roadsters or early Model S, you won’t make it 10 years.

A drive unit replacement out of warranty may also have you reconsidering ownership.

My hope is that in 10 years the cost of battery replacements will come down to more reasonable levels. If it costs $20K to replace the battery on a car that's 12 years old and worth $25K, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep the car and replace the battery.

BUT if in ten years they can bore the 2170 cells 0.030" over and put in forged chemistry for $5K that'll give you a 90kwh pack, it might be worth it.

given paint issues, plenty of steel used I could see pretty significant rust issues with a 10+ yr old Model 3 driven in the snow/ where there is salt.
The motors and batteries are likely your least concern... but corrosion in steering components or an MCU going bad can cost $$$ once the car gets old

I love my S and 3 combo. X and 3 would be great too. I want to caution you about those falcon doors though...they're a maintenance headache waiting to happen. Ask any experienced Tesla tech about them, or just think about it with all those moving parts and extra seals in the roof.

I'm not trying to talk down the X, the falcon doors are cool and unique...just go into it expecting extra issues and upkeep.

Even the Model S popout door handles are a notable source of problems, and they're way simpler than the X falcon doors.

I'm sure there will be eventually. 10 years from now, Tesla won't be selling the same exterior design on the X or S anymore. How soon they'll do a new exterior design though is anyone's guess, they haven't done that for a single car yet so we really have nothing to go by.

I don't think how often traditional car makers do new generations has any bearing on what Tesla will do here. Tesla just operates so differently. Plus with the current car market, I see no business incentive to bother with a big exterior refresh for a while, they're still immediately selling every single car they can build, and they haven't even managed to launch the Cybertruck or new Roadster yet.

Reactions: Lindenwood
It’s not just the battery and motors.
Think of what the battery and autonomous driving technology will be like in 10 years. Would you really want to drive an old beater when you could have a newer, much safer 500+ mile self-driving vehicle that can drive you wherever while you sleep in the back.
Also, Tesla’s poor reliability/quality likely means that even if the battery/motor lasts, you’ll have a rusted, creaking old box with stuff falling off as you drive. I started seeing rust on my Tesla in 3 years.

Reactions: Scelto
Sell at about the 5-6 year mark. By then you'll prolly have around 120,000 miles and there will be a lot of other EV options by then too. Don't risk waiting for the drive unit or battery to fail as if the waits are still there you might end up having to get a used car then. Plan ahead

Reactions: Phlier
My biggest concern about my Model 3 (made in March 2018 and with 70,000 miles) is with rusting out. I wish it had protection on the rocker panels and fenders from debris being flung by the tires. The only Tesla I would buy to replace it TODAY would be a Model Y because it has a newer, better thought-out design from that perspective. It has plastic trim to protect the edges of the fenders at the wheel wells and at the bottom of the rocker panels. The only thing currently missing from the factory is the PPF film that you can apply at the rear edge of the back passenger doors to protect it from rock chips (mud flaps on the front should help as well).

The best Tesla to buy for longevity (In my opinion) will be the Cybertruck, for it's stainless steel exterior. But that's not available yet and the actual implementation and design for longevity remains to be seen.

I would like to hear from Model 3 owners that have over 100,000 on their tesla? What issues if any they are experiencing. Personally, I live in So Cal, and weather and road conditions are a very minimal factor on the car. My plan is to keep for quite a while unless something really great comes out.

When would it be worth to consider purchasing another Tesla or EV from competitor?

Whenever you feel like it!

I currently own a mid range Model 3 2018. Currenty is around 51,800 miles now. I got this car in Dec 31, 2018. So it's almost 3 years old. How many miles will the Model 3 last for until it becomes too expensive to repair and could warrant a new car purchase?

No-one knows, since your model year and mileage range Model 3's are guinea pigs for the rest of us!
;-)

OK, so that settles that.

Sure, eventually.
But if money is not an issues, why wait?
Get the current one, then get the next one. Repeat as necessary!

a

Whenever your battery dies. Based on Roadsters or early Model S, you won’t make it 10 years.

A drive unit replacement out of warranty may also have you reconsidering ownership.
So you don’t think Tesla has learned anything about battery production and conditioning since they started? I’ll probably sell mine before the battery warranty expires, but I don’t know how you can be so sure that we won’t make it 10 years.

Seems like Musk thinks the battery will last 300,000 to 500,000 miles.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
So you don’t think Tesla has learned anything about battery production and conditioning since they started? I’ll probably sell mine before the battery warranty expires, but I don’t know how you can be so sure that we won’t make it 10 years.
No. I don’t think they have.

Check back in another 6 or 7 years and we can see who is correct.

I'm planning on hanging onto my 2019 3 until they have a 4680 version with a range > 400 miles, and maybe even then it won't be a compelling upgrade. The S is out because of the yoke, if they offer a standard wheel with stalks in the future that could change but I doubt that will happen because Elon never admits mistakes. The X is out even if it had a normal wheel, it's way to big and it's unreliable.
I do have a reservation for an Aptera, it's the coolest looking car on the planet and it will have incredible range because it's so efficient. I've reserved the 600 mile version. The Aptera is at least a year away, they are just going into beta now, and I won't make a final decision until I can test drive it. Assuming I get one I'd likely keep the Model 3 as well. Aside for the Aptera there is nothing on the horizon that looks interesting and doesn't cost more than I paid for my house. I like the Lucid Air but there is no way on God's green earth that I'd spend that amount of money on a car which of course leaves out the EQS and the Taycan as well.

Reactions: Phlier
I'm hitting the end of warranty very soon, got 49k on it now and its been really good.
Planning on keeping it until Cybertruck arrives then I'll trade up to that.
We are planning on adding a Y sooner than that though, but waiting for them to start rolling off the line in Texas first.
My 3 will be 4-5 years old at that point with 70-80k on it - maybe FSD will be out of beta by then ;)

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

If money is no issue, get the 2020 Roadster. Prepay for it upfront so you can be one of the first.