Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will a model 3 last and what tesla to replace it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on hanging onto my 2019 3 until they have a 4680 version with a range > 400 miles, and maybe even then it won't be a compelling upgrade. The S is out because of the yoke, if they offer a standard wheel with stalks in the future that could change but I doubt that will happen because Elon never admits mistakes. The X is out even if it had a normal wheel, it's way to big and it's unreliable.
I do have a reservation for an Aptera, it's the coolest looking car on the planet and it will have incredible range because it's so efficient. I've reserved the 600 mile version. The Aptera is at least a year away, they are just going into beta now, and I won't make a final decision until I can test drive it. Assuming I get one I'd likely keep the Model 3 as well. Aside for the Aptera there is nothing on the horizon that looks interesting and doesn't cost more than I paid for my house. I like the Lucid Air but there is no way on God's green earth that I'd spend that amount of money on a car which of course leaves out the EQS and the Taycan as well.
Personally, I would stay away from any of the new EVs until they are out in the road for 2-3 years. I have been driving my 2019 model 3 for two years, no problems and the best thing is if you are driving long range, there are plenty of tesla supercharges with more being added all the time. Love the free Over the Air updates, zero maintenance and the Auto Pilot. We will see how the whole EV story turns out.

One more thing about doing an upgrade. As I said before I'm waiting for a > 400 mile version which won't happen for a couple more years, they have to put 4680s into production and then they will need to have enough for the Model 3 not just the Cybertruck. If FSD is working by then I'll be less inclined to do a trade in because I have FSD now and the cost of buying it again is likely to be prohibitive. If it isn't working by then, and I'd lay odds that it's never going to work with the current sensor suite, then I'd consider it a write off and be willing to buy a longer range M3 without FSD.

We just got ours a couple months ago but unless the unexpected happens...no reason not to keep for at least 100,000 miles (6 1/2 years) hopefully more. It is a commute care that gets 15k miles a year so 150k might be unreasonable because I don't think we'd keep a car 10 years Tesla or ICE...

The real question I wonder is what would someone pay for a 6 year old Tesla with 100,000 miles?

We just got ours a couple months ago but unless the unexpected happens...no reason not to keep for at least 100,000 miles (6 1/2 years) hopefully more. It is a commute care that gets 15k miles a year so 150k might be unreasonable because I don't think we'd keep a car 10 years Tesla or ICE...

The real question I wonder is what would someone pay for a 6 year old Tesla with 100,000 miles?

To a great extent it would depend on what the tech and cars are like 6 years from now.

To a great extent it would depend on what the tech and cars are like 6 years from now.

I guess I have little imagination but not sure what other "Tech" I'll need unless we are talking range. Still have an ICE BMW SUV and a Fiat Spider so not all in on "tech" at this point. Tesla was for the gas savings, free "paid lanes" and HOV w/ one person benefit.

I guess I have little imagination but not sure what other "Tech" I'll need unless we are talking range. Still have an ICE BMW SUV and a Fiat Spider so not all in on "tech" at this point. Tesla was for the gas savings, free "paid lanes" and HOV w/ one person benefit.
In addition to range, charging times, and, more importantly, safety and autonomous capabilities.

In addition to range, charging times, and, more importantly, safety and autonomous capabilities.

Meh. The wife drives it...she'd never use "autonomous driving", charging times don't matter and range will never matter for her unless we moved pretty far away. I guess we could give her a little more safety if she's a good girl.

My comment on range was for me. When I can buy a 450+ range Tesla for 40k +/- I'll probably consider but the way prices are going a Model3 will be 65k soon LOL. Until then ICE BMW for this guy!

Have any examples of such vehicles on their original packs and/or drive units?
Took me 3 seconds to Google it, which is about the same amount of time you took to downvote an accurate post.

Took me 3 seconds to Google it, which is about the same amount of time you took to downvote an accurate post.

Notice they mentioned they replaced six battery packs? They've also had vehicles that have been thru at least one replacement drive unit. Tesloop also shutdown awhile ago. Before COVID killed them, there was stuff like Tesloop suspending shuttle operations on October 1 - KESQ.

Which vehicle(s) of theirs (or someone else's) have made it to 500K miles on their original drive unit and battery pack?

For example, Tesloop’s Tesla Model S Surpasses 400,000 miles (643,737 kilometers) had its battery pack replaced twice and front drive unit replaced once.

I can point you to 3 TMC members w/Model S who have each had at least 6 drive unit replacements.

Last edited:
Here are the folks who have been thru 6+ drive unit replacements and another that went thru at least 5.

And, drive units on early S were definitely no good: Two Thirds of Early Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000miles (ignore the title, just look at the post).

I plan to keep my 2021 M3 LR for a while.....but if I were to exchange it, then I would in three years time, so the new owner gets one year left on the warranty. The M3 suits me and I wouldn’t complain if I got a newer one especially if, by then, they have a M3 hatchback or station wagon