Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will a model 3 last and what tesla to replace it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not just the battery and motors.
Think of what the battery and autonomous driving technology will be like in 10 years. Would you really want to drive an old beater when you could have a newer, much safer 500+ mile self-driving vehicle that can drive you wherever while you sleep in the back.
Also, Tesla’s poor reliability/quality likely means that even if the battery/motor lasts, you’ll have a rusted, creaking old box with stuff falling off as you drive. I started seeing rust on my Tesla in 3 years.
What would you do differently to counter the rust? I’m entering my first winter and I well aware of how the winters beat my other vehicles. Short of parking at he Model 3, what protects it?

Yet the Model S has a longer warranty on the battery pack. Go figure.

If Tesla thought the Model 3 pack would last 10 years or more on average, it would have a 10 year warranty.
That’s like saying Honda doesn’t think it’s engine will last 10 years because they only warranty it for 5 years. Time of a warranty and expected life of a part aren’t equal

I would like to hear from Model 3 owners that have over 100,000 on their tesla? What issues if any they are experiencing. Personally, I live in So Cal, and weather and road conditions are a very minimal factor on the car. My plan is to keep for quite a while unless something really great comes out.

135,000 on a 2018 dual motor. It’s still amazing. Had the A/C compressor fail under warranty back in 2019. Currently in the shop to have the Supercharging contactors and controller replaced (~$1,000 job) and that’s it. It’s paid off, so we figure an occasional investment in maintenance is to be expected. We plan to keep it for the foreseeable future. No complaints whatsoever.

As for rust and corrosion, we sprayed a liberal application of cosmolene on various components and parts of the undercarriage when we got the car. Everything is holding up very nicely.

100% charge is 282 miles.

Last edited:
So far after 3 years, I have just under 90k miles on mine. Full charge looks like about 275 miles, which is really not too bad I think.

My biggest complaint is the USB issues, but otherwise, the car has been pretty damn good to me. I think I will replace it with a Model Y in about 3 more years.

That’s like saying Honda doesn’t think it’s engine will last 10 years because they only warranty it for 5 years. Time of a warranty and expected life of a part aren’t equal
They clearly don’t expect enough of them to last for 10 years in order to maintain profitability. Otherwise they would offer a 10 year warranty to attract buyers.

Talk about some ridiculous logic…

135,000 on a 2018 dual motor. It’s still amazing. Had the A/C compressor fail under warranty back in 2019. Currently in the shop to have the Supercharging contactors and controller replaced (~$1,000 job) and that’s it. It’s paid off, so we figure an occasional investment in maintenance is to be expected. We plan to keep it for the foreseeable future. No complaints whatsoever.

As for rust and corrosion, we sprayed a liberal application of cosmolene on various components and parts of the undercarriage when we got the car. Everything is holding up very nicely.

100% charge is 282 miles.
That is absolutely outstanding! Certainly look forward for my 2019 LR, dual motor to do more than a couple of hundred thousand miles, with little or no maintenance and still maintain a reasonable battery level. Glad to hear your story, I am sure many other owners or potential buyers are very interested in your review or anyone else has to say.

Reactions: ODWms
Yeah? How many millions of cars do they sell every year?

Are you suggesting that because they are popular among EV owners that they shouldn’t even be offering warranties at this point? Get rid of them like lumbar adjustment?

I really don’t understand what you are trying to say.
Tesla is totally sold out for 2021. They expect to sell, 1 million cars for 2021, and 20 million by 2025. The only thing hold Tesla back is capacity. New factory in Berlin still not in production, new factory in Austin, Texas, still not in production, expansion in Fremont, CA, expansion in Reno, NV., and the China factory is starting to produce. That is just Tesla, many other EV manufacturers are coming online. EVs are popular with the vast majority of young people, gas cars will be a thing of the past is short order and quicker than we think.

Tesla is totally sold out for 2021. They expect to sell, 1 million cars for 2021, and 20 million by 2025. The only thing hold Tesla back is capacity. New factory in Berlin still not in production, new factory in Austin, Texas, still not in production, expansion in Fremont, CA, expansion in Reno, NV., and the China factory is starting to produce. That is just Tesla, many other EV manufacturers are coming online. EVs are popular with the vast majority of young people, gas cars will be a thing of the past is short order and quicker than we think.
What does that have to do with the warranty they offer?

And you are just making up numbers. They cannot sell 20 million cars by 2025. Even w/Berlin and China factored in.

You think they are going to sell 1mm next year and then 19mm combined in the following 3? GTFO.

When would it be worth to consider purchasing another Tesla or EV from competitor? I currently own a mid range Model 3 2018. Currenty is around 51,800 miles now. I got this car in Dec 31, 2018. So it's almost 3 years old. How many miles will the Model 3 last for until it becomes too expensive to repair and could warrant a new car purchase?

I'm just wondering if I did get a 2nd Tesla, which one would be good to accompany a Model 3 if I still own it? If money is not an issue. I thought Model X because its bigger and can haul stuff, and take more people for a comfortable road trip. And Model X I think is the only one with self closing doors, which is something I really want.

Will there ever be another Model X refresh besides the current interior one? Like an exterior & interior refresh, not just some half way refresh?
I have 75000 miles on my 2020 Model 3, already. Not a single issue. I think you should easily be able to drive it to 100,000 miles. Battery range degradation would be the main impetus for buying a new Tesla. I still have 92% of the initial range after 75k miles, though. My second car is a model s. It has its advantages (more spacious and luxurious interior, opening sunroof), but I think that the model 3 is the most refined of all the Teslas at this point. Still hoping that Cybertrucks will come in to production. I am #114,039 on the waiting list.

I own an S and a 3. The S is more luxurious, but I think that the model 3 is the most refined. I have 75K miles on a 2020 Model 3, all highway. I still have 90% of the initial range. Not a single dollar spent on maintenance other than a new set of tires.

The only car I am looking forward to replacing it with is a Cybertruck. #114,039 on the waiting list.

Yeah? How many millions of cars do they sell every year?

Are you suggesting that because they are popular among EV owners that they shouldn’t even be offering warranties at this point? Get rid of them like lumbar adjustment?

I really don’t understand what you are trying to say.

You’re being disingenuous. At this point in time, Tesla is production constrained; adding a longer warranty will gain them nothing except an even bigger backlog of orders. It might make sense to offer a longer warranty in the future when they’re cranking out more cars, vehicle/component longevity is more fully understood, and the order backlog isn’t as long. But for now, today, a longer warranty is of no benefit to the company aside from a little extra good will.

You’re being disingenuous. At this point in time, Tesla is production constrained; adding a longer warranty will gain them nothing except an even bigger backlog of orders. It might make sense to offer a longer warranty in the future when they’re cranking out more cars, vehicle/component longevity is more fully understood, and the order backlog isn’t as long. But for now, today, a longer warranty is of no benefit to the company aside from a little extra good will.
It’s me who is being disingenuous, not the people who are claiming these batteries will last for 10 years with absolutely not data to back that up, nor the company that, for whatever reason, refuses to warranty them for that length of time? Mmmmmkay.

Reactions: cwerdna