Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's right, I never have had to wait a long time waiting for a Tesla SC. 1-2 cars waiting for 30 chargers is a big difference than 1-2 cars waiting for 2 chargers.

That's not to say there are some Tesla SC locations that get very congested, but there's so many, you can easily just head out to another nearby one where you won't wait, or wait just a few min to get into a spot.
I've never had to wait at all on the east coast.

I suppose that may occur in the future.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Yes, that's right, I never have had to wait a long time waiting for a Tesla SC. 1-2 cars waiting for 30 chargers is a big difference than 1-2 cars waiting for 2 chargers.

That's not to say there are some Tesla SC locations that get very congested, but there's so many, you can easily just head out to another nearby one where you won't wait, or wait just a few min to get into a spot.
Waco, TX used to be a big problem, but they have doubled it (added 250kw to the existing 150kw) and added quite a few more along the route in the past few years. From the looks of it, adding a lot more in the next 6 months.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Waco, TX used to be a big problem, but they have doubled it (added 250kw to the existing 150kw) and added quite a few more along the route in the past few years. From the looks of it, adding a lot more in the next 6 months.
It will be interesting to see how things go in 2024 when Tesla's network is opened up. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of angry Tesla owners...feelings of priority entitlement, etc.

In any case, everyone's use of chargers are different, and based on the usage, your experience will differ. For example, we have a friend who can't charge at home, so she relies on SC network, and within city limits, I think you tend to see higher congestion. For me, I charge at home 99% of the time and only use SC when going on the few road trips in a year. So a lot of the SC I would hit would be along a route, away from big cities.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
It will be interesting to see how things go in 2024 when Tesla's network is opened up. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of angry Tesla owners...feelings of priority entitlement, etc.

In any case, everyone's use of chargers are different, and based on the usage, your experience will differ. For example, we have a friend who can't charge at home, so she relies on SC network, and within city limits, I think you tend to see higher congestion. For me, I charge at home 99% of the time and only use SC when going on the few road trips in a year. So a lot of the SC I would hit would be along a route, away from big cities.

I can see that happen on I-5 at Kettleman/Coalinga during holiday travels...

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy

With Tesla's market share compared to other EVs, I think most of the issues (if any) will come from more Teslas on the road and not other brands. Yes, others are gaining but so are super charger installs.

Our typical road trip is Austin to north side of Ft. Worth - approx 215 miles. Back in 2018 there was a single supercharger location on our route with ~12 chargers.

Now I pass 11 locations with 174 chargers. With at least 3 more under construction.

Will see.

Even in the southeast where there are far less EVs, we still don't have issues traveling and charging with the SC network. About the only congestion we consistently have is Chattanooga, TN (airport) SC's. Usually there is a 15-20 minute wait, typically around holidays. There are only around 6 stalls (iirc).

Even in the southeast where there are far less EVs, we still don't have issues traveling and charging with the SC network. About the only congestion we consistently have is Chattanooga, TN (airport) SC's. Usually there is a 15-20 minute wait, typically around holidays. There are only around 6 stalls (iirc).
And new chargers are going in all the time. I had a spot that I always feel like I had to push it on I-26 in SC and then saw last week that a SC is being installed right in the middle.

No body is gonna talk about the CyberTruck event today? The almost doubling in the base price we were originally introduced to? The lost of built in ramp and off road lights and GVWR and Tow Rating? Is no one upset, racing to get their $100 back?
I could sense a let-down was coming with the way range and pricing weren't worthy of mentioning.

I may have mentioned I bought an MX on the assumption the truck wasn't gonna make me happy, at least not for a while yet. I originally just wanted the big windshield, when I saw the CT could get it for me starting at $40k I jumped, but now I can get a cheap X instead and the CT isn't the bargain it was supposed to be. Very happy with the views from the driver's seat in my X

Range is inline with what was originally promised.

Prices are initially high and will come down. Tesla would be foolish to not cash in on the demand. They did this for other models too.

My only disappointment is the 11k lbs towing for tri motor vs 14k. I’ll have to go with a slightly smaller camper I guess. This means I will go with the dual motor variant. I don’t need that extra speed for that truck.

No body is gonna talk about the CyberTruck event today? The almost doubling in the base price we were originally introduced to? The lost of built in ramp and off road lights and GVWR and Tow Rating? Is no one upset, racing to get their $100 back?
Yes, you are right. I wanted a 500 mile tri-motor with a 14k towing capacity, so I was originally disappointed. But I do have to say that I’m intrigued with the extended range to 470 with a removable battery pack. If that’s a pack that I can remove during times I’m not towing, this might be a revolutionary idea.

Yes, you are right. I wanted a 500 mile tri-motor with a 14k towing capacity, so I was originally disappointed. But I do have to say that I’m intrigued with the extended range to 470 with a removable battery pack. If that’s a pack that I can remove during times I’m not towing, this might be a revolutionary idea.
For an additional $16k for the extended range pack - seems like a pretty steep price to pay. The extended range pack is said to weigh 600-900 lbs and takes up 1/3 of the pickup bed. So it’s not really “removable” per se - without a lift given the weight.

For an additional $16k for the extended range pack - seems like a pretty steep price to pay. The extended range pack is said to weigh 600-900 lbs and takes up 1/3 of the pickup bed. So it’s not really “removable” per se - without a lift given the weight.
It would be absolutely idiotic to have a removable battery pack that weighs 600-900 pounds. You would need a cherry picker every time you needed to remove or install it. So I have to believe this will be a pack that two people will be able to handle.

Reactions: afadeev

We are in mourning as to what could have been.
It is real now, and the specs and dimensions have been finalized and released, which is good.
It is still not available till some (yet to be defined) point in 2024, and the value prop took a huge dump, which is not so good.
1701406302984.png

I could try to overlook the 50+% price hikes, but the sh*t range is a real problem.
The original promise of a 500+ mile range for tri-motor version turned out to be BS. Optional $16K (?!) powerwall (aka range extender) taking up 1/2 the trunk is not much of a real solution.
1701406231308.png

$60,990 - [was $39,900] - RWD (2025 to never), 250 miles
$79,990 - [was $49,900] - AWD (2024 delivery), 340 miles
$99,990 - [was $69,900] - CYBERBEAST (2024 delivery), 320 miles

I will defer final judgement on what to do with my order until I see the thing in person, but the chances of Tesla converting my deposit (for tri-motor) into an actual order are not looking good right now.

a

Last edited: