Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vin 24x was picked up less than 24 hours ago.
So far: DS pointed out a cosmetic flaw his manager discovered, barely visible and will be fixed when parts arrive.
All doors open and close reliably and consistently.
Road noise is a bit higher then expected, might be because Range Rover engine noise is no longer masking it, and we had the Range Rover with extra thick glass that was pretty quiet except when accelerating.
Some trouble getting used to ignoring the reflection of my arms on the windshield on a sunny, marvelous day. Shouldn't be a problem when I go Auto-Pilot or on a less shiny day :). Haven't figured out how to get much improvement using the G-string sized sun visor.

Reactions: mikevbf
...Haven't figured out how to get much improvement using the G-string sized sun visor.
Here is my favorite visor. Works nicely and easy to adjust. Link to site: Tesla — Liquid Metal Visor

DSC9796_1024x1024.jpg

Mark Z, I'm going to have to wear that low on my face to block the reflections of my pasty white arms holding the steering wheel. Or get a tan. Or wear dark long-sleeved shirts.

It sounds comical, and I will probably get used to it, but I did honestly find it distracting, and not in the good way that the wonderful sunny day was.

Reactions: Mark Z
...I did honestly find it distracting, and not in the good way that the wonderful sunny day was.
So much depends on the angle of the sun and the direction of travel. Since I am looking at the road, reflections from the seat area into the glass overhead doesn't bother me much. However, I do wear long sleeve shirts most of the time and any reflections from the tan leather seats is minimal. The head visor is a major help when the sun is in the wrong place.

RedHead Finley River Shirt for Men - Long Sleeve | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear Select "Orion Blue"

And the upside of posting here and not having things private, is that people who are about to pick up their vehicles know what to look for. That is a huge value to the public. The Service Centers knowing the problems does not yet appear to be enough, but in time, it will be.

Besides, facts are facts and generalizations are generalizations. If you are smart enough to be able to afford a Tesla, you should be smart enough to know the difference and use the info in these forums to check out you vehicle when you pick it up.
actually even if you are about to pick up the vehicles you can see the private posts - as long as you are reservation holder you can see the private posts. I agree, its best to post there.

actually even if you are about to pick up the vehicles you can see the private posts - as long as you are reservation holder you can see the private posts. I agree, its best to post there.

So the only people who should know about real customer issues with a car are those who paid 5k for a reservation?

Well, that is an interesting viewpoint. I am sure all companies would love to have that level of "transparency"

So the only people who should know about real customer issues with a car are those who paid 5k for a reservation?

Well, that is an interesting viewpoint. I am sure all companies would love to have that level of "transparency"

So that is one way of looking at it, if you wish. The other way of looking at it is that some people wish to air their issues in a less public way and they have that option. No one is forcing anyone do anything in any way - just making the options clear.

Whenever there is any party that acts in bad faith (e.g. trolls, short-investors, etc.) the only solution appears to be to somehow privatize the discussion. Unfortunately, there is no good way to keep out only the undesirable actors without also excluding innocent bystanders.

It would seem to me that a better approach (ala Wikipedia) is to allow everything, educate users to spot/ignore the trolls and have some kind of a rating/voting system to separate/filter the good information.

Privatizing discussions is infinitely more simple to implement.

It would seem to me that a better approach (ala Wikipedia) is to allow everything, educate users to spot/ignore the trolls and have some kind of a rating/voting system to separate/filter the good information.

The new forum does a very good job with ignoring certain members. However, I would like the ability to see heavily disliked items just disappear a la reddit. Or users with a certain amount of dislikes to 'auto-ignore'.

Whenever there is any party that acts in bad faith (e.g. trolls, short-investors, etc.) the only solution appears to be to somehow privatize the discussion. .

How do people know who the short-investors are?
Do people actually believe that someone posts on a forum in order to move a stock significantly enough for them to make money? Seriously?

It is odd that people accuse negative posters of being short, but when a person posts a positive thing, they are totes legit and aren't doing it because they are long...especially when so many people here talk about being long and want the company to succeed.

How do people know who the short-investors are?
Do people actually believe that someone posts on a forum in order to move a stock significantly enough for them to make money? Seriously?

It is odd that people accuse negative posters of being short, but when a person posts a positive thing, they are totes legit and aren't doing it because they are long...especially when so many people here talk about being long and want the company to succeed.

That's the trick: trying to determine who are the trolls and short investor are. There is always going to be false positives (remember Eds). In the TM forum they atleast have a "private" section for those who have either put down a deposit or own a vehicle. Tesla facilitates that, but I don't see any way that TMC can facilitate that kind of verification.

One possible solution is to "trust" TMC with your TeslaMotors login credentials and have TMC verify with Tesla that you own a vehicle (automated script much like what TeslaLog.com does). After the verification process, the TM password can be changed again, for extra security. TMC would need to ensure that each user's credentials are unique to prevent "sharing".

Okay, let's get off this tangent and hear from more people with problem-free Xs.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin
...One possible solution is to "trust" TMC with your TeslaMotors login credentials and have TMC verify with Tesla that you own a vehicle....

That does nothing to prove whether a person posting is being positive because they are long the stock or being negative because they have shorted the stock and want to drive the price down.

The issue isn't whether people on this forum are long or short. The issue is that people in the media, and financial websites, take the posts from this forum, distort the truth by showing only one side, and then use the posts to mislead the public in order to harm Tesla. The link earlier proves the point.

Reactions: madodel
That does nothing to prove whether a person posting is being positive because they are long the stock or being negative because they have shorted the stock and want to drive the price down.

I'm in agreement with @rdalcanto ^^^. I want to add that if the poster owns a Tesla, they have "skin" in the game and are using the forums for their intended purpose, rather than to manipulate the stock price or collect dirt.

Reactions: madodel
I'm looking forward to my (ahem - on topic) problem-free Model X delivery on Monday. In the case that it doesn't meet all of the expected criteria, I'd like to share that information with like-minded people who have a compassionate attitude and a desire to aid in correcting problems. I'm not as keen to share if I think people are out there looking to gain on my (and others') misfortune.

It's like working with a team. It's best when everyone has a similar goal in mind and is looking to further a project. One saboteur can quickly muddy the path to the goal.

I'm looking forward to my (ahem - on topic) problem-free Model X delivery on Monday.
Based on my experience, I think you can expect a problem-free car. I drove 200 miles in the first two days and practically tried to give the car the opportunity to malfunction, but so far, aside from one of the FWD windows being greasy and having an odd way of sitting when it's open, I've not found any faults.
If you're picking up at the factory, I suggest having the delivery person drive it out of the tent and then explore the car for yourself.
Overall, I'd rate the competency of the delivery staff a zero out of 10 with 10 being competent and 1 being unacceptably incompetent and unprofessional. The service center at the factory was similarly inoperative in terms of knowledge or efficiency, but I'd rate them more like 5 out of 10 ... if you want to be discouraged from buying an X ... look at every service bay being occupied by a disassembled Model X. At 3:00pm on a weekday, I saw practically zero productivity in the service area. Maybe 8 people all up. I'd just driven over from the Porsche dealer on the other side of the freeway where their service bays were a mix of cars and all hands working. Tesla has a loong way to go to competing with Porsche for build quality or customer service. Anyway, I imagine you'll be taking delivery at Corte Madera and I'd like to think each of the "local" service centers will be doing a lot better than the factory experience.
My X seems to be pretty much trouble-free and the only problems relate to the car being incomprehensibly dusty inside, greasy hand marks on the glass, a paint chip pre-installed in the driver side FWD, a scrape on the back of each of the front seats (haven't checked the backs of the other seats) some less than impressive rubber fittings here and there, and missing the desired phone cables and cradles.
Panel fit and finish, the paint quality, all seem up to Porsche standards. The fit and alignment around the FWD across the roof is really an eyesore, so just don't look at it! : ) At least the panels and the doors seem to be correctly aligned and working well, though I think the way the front doors close is an accident waiting to happen since they "slam" the last 12 inches of movement ... I fail to see how it can possibly avoid a serious injury if a child got in the way at the last moment. Same with the frunk, there's no manual safety latch, which I'm surprised DOT allows.
You'll find a few quirky bugs in the UI, but nothing so far that didn't have a workaround (an example just now would be setting a wifi password ... if you end up in the "add" page, the virtual keyboard sends keystrokes to the underlying window when you change from character to symbol ... and there's no way to "see" the password, so you have to guess you've typed it correctly ... the workaround is to just use the quick add menu from the icon rather than from the settings page (that will make sense once you're there ... : )
Also, don't trust Autopilot other than on clearly delineated freeways and even then, it will behave like a drunk driver or teen texter ... letting the car vaguely wander to the line then abruptly correcting. On country roads, it will veer off the asphalt, over the cateyes and into oncoming traffic around bends ... don't trust it.
If you ordered the tow hitch, the trailer brake controlling wiring is not installed, so plan on scheduling that work. At the factory service center, they said they've never done it before and would need time to figure out how. : |

Reactions: ohmman and mikevbf
We picked up our Signature X VIN #484 in Santa Barbara last Monday, and have put well over 1,000 miles on it since. It has been a fantastic car! Everything works just like it should. We have spent hours, if not days, showing it off to countless people, including a few reporters, and everything has performed flawlessly. We had a huge crowd around and in it on Thursday, when we put our Model 3 deposit down in Santa Barbara, and everyone loved our X. The only issues have been perhaps three reboots being necessary due to a few remaining software issues, but that is no big deal. Even my Macbook requires that.

Love the autopilot as well. We just took it from Ventura County up to Fresno, putting 484 miles on that trip, and almost all of those miles were on autopilot. It takes a little getting used to at first, but then you become actually sad when you have to go back to steering manually.

Ron
SigX VIN #484