Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up truck up today. Went with the XLT SR w/ max tow, tow tech, 9.6kw onboard, bed step. Paid MSRP, 1.99%, 60 months, $0 down.

$58,694 - $750 CFR - $7500 federal - $2000 CVRP

Incredible amount of torque. Chirps the tires at 30+ mph and has some very strong torque steer that you need to be careful with. Much quicker than my MY SR.

Has become the new kid hauler. Huge amount of room compared to the MY 7 seater.

Planning to install a second Tesla wall connector at 48A (w/ load sharing) and will charge with the tealaTap adapter.

Suppose I need to be careful. Have a 200A main but can potentially pull:

32A - MY
48A - F150L SR
40A - 2x PowerWalls (charge from grid)
40A - 2x Air conditioners.

38.4 kWh at the midnight super off-peak blitz😳

AF10C2DC-7D72-4BFA-BD7B-70DF9A426481.jpeg

FBCA0EB4-2682-4F52-829D-86A51F4B1459.jpeg 6EB38A4F-7E60-4B53-BB63-41BA14AAB15D.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up truck up today. Went with the XLT SR w/ max tow, tow tech, 9.6kw onboard, bed step. Paid MSRP, 1.99%, 60 months, $0 down.

Incredible amount of torque. Chirps the tires at 30+ mph and has some very strong torque steer that you need to be careful with. Much quicker than my MY SR.

Planning to install a second Tesla wall connector at 48A (w/ load sharing) and will charge with the tealaTap adapter.

32A - MY
48A - F150L SR

View attachment 842573

View attachment 842574 View attachment 842577

Congrats! Beautiful truck!

I don’t. I charged briefly at EA to make sure there weren’t any issues. I charged it today at home to 80% which gave me an estimated range of 280 miles. That would mean 350 at 100%. Yes I know that’s not going to actually be true.

I’m hoping to get 2.1 kWh/mi between 70 and 73 mph. Starting a trip tomorrow.
You must have the bigger battery right? A daily range of 280 would be fine for me In a truck. I just might get one of these. I‘m in the Portland OR area and all the dealers have serious market adjustments. Most are $20k+ in Portland but the Vancouver WA dealer is asking a $50k markup on a Platinum. (Only Vancouver dealer) Not a big deal as the Portland dealers are within 20-30 miles.

Pretty sure things will change when more people get them and the market fills up with folks trying to make $. Won’t consider anything with the standard range battery.

32A - MY
48A - F150L SR

View attachment 842573

View attachment 842574 View attachment 842577
Please update us on stuff like your daily charge range and how long it takes with the charger they provide. I assume you’ll be using 220V. I thought I read it took 10 hrs on 220 to get a full charge. Does Ford recommend against 100% daily charges?

Reactions: SmartElectric
Please update us on stuff like your daily charge range and how long it takes with the charger they provide. I assume you’ll be using 220V. I thought I read it took 10 hrs on 220 to get a full charge. Does Ford recommend against 100% daily charges?
Yes using 240V via the ford the mobile charger for now. Plugged into a 14-50, though the mobile charger can only supply 32 amps. The SR truck can take up to 48A - planning use the Tesla wall connector + adapter to get there.

It charges at 7kwh so would take 14 hours to fully charge 0-100%.

Last night it took about 5 hours to go from 65%-90%.

And no they do not recommend 100% charging.
Seeing 2.4-2.6 mi/kwh driving around town.

Yes using 240V via the ford the mobile charger for now. Plugged into a 14-50, though the mobile charger can only supply 32 amps. The SR truck can take up to 48A - planning use the Tesla wall connector + adapter to get there.

Exactly the same on my ER, I am also using a Gen 2 Tesla Charger with adaptor. I do not plan on using the Ford Charger Pro only because SunRun is incompetent and it’s hard finding a legit electrician who knows what the hell they are doing.

Thanks I can live with that. Same power and time as my Tesla mobil charger.

The Ford website is so confusing and hard to figure out. Do you tow? I don't do heavy towing but want to make sure I get a trailer brake controller. Does this come on the standard towing package? I also want the power outlets in both the frunk / bed and be able to power the house in a power outage. I know you need additional hardware to tap into your fuse box so just I'd be running extensions from the 240v and 110v outlets.

I'll probable wait until Ford figures out Ford Blue. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Thanks I can live with that. Same power and time as my Tesla mobil charger.

The Ford website is so confusing and hard to figure out. Do you tow? I don't do heavy towing but want to make sure I get a trailer brake controller. Does this come on the standard towing package? I also want the power outlets in both the frunk / bed and be able to power the house in a power outage. I know you need additional hardware to tap into your fuse box so just I'd be running extensions from the 240v and 110v outlets.

I'll probable wait until Ford figures out Ford Blue. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Agreed. It’s horribly confusing. So many options and bundle requirements.

I have no plans to tow. No trailer. Max tow adds the second battery/engine cooler which should help with overall efficiency. Then tow tech added in the bed scales afaik.

The 9.6kw option added the plugs to the front (240V) and back. That alone is pretty awesome feature. I have no plans to install the HIS to enable the truck to power the home. Might look h to some sort of a generate switch but given that I already have solar and 2 powerwalls it might be tricky to get done.

Here is the build sheet.

If I convince the wife - goal would be towing a pair of jet skis. Ocean/bay is 18 miles away so the SR should handle that just fine.

You must have the bigger battery right? A daily range of 280 would be fine for me In a truck. I just might get one of these. I‘m in the Portland OR area and all the dealers have serious market adjustments. Most are $20k+ in Portland but the Vancouver WA dealer is asking a $50k markup on a Platinum. (Only Vancouver dealer) Not a big deal as the Portland dealers are within 20-30 miles.

Pretty sure things will change when more people get them and the market fills up with folks trying to make $. Won’t consider anything with the standard range battery.
Correct, I have the extended range. I reserved first day and paid MSRP. Fully equipped Lariat with tow tech and max tow 80,549. NJ has no sales tax on EVs and the 7500 federal tax credit. So about 73,000 bucks.

So they didn’t have that problem with the 35k Model 3? Even when they went out of business ….. they sold every single car, unless you can point me to where these cars are still sitting in a lot brand new….

As far as “demand” manufacturers can always give you an illusion of “demand”

I mean there are plenty of used Teslas to be had.
There have been many unsold cars over the years. After price reductions and other sales tactics the unsold inventory ends up in a shredder yard and is recycled.

Ok just completed a 2500+ mile road trip in the Lightning. First it drove wonderfully, comfortable, spacious and just like a regular high trim F150.

I did a fair bit of prep like I did with my Porsche but only use that as a backup in case things go poorly. I used the Ford navigation and limited it to EA DCFC only. In the 10 stops I made along the journey I had one issue with one pole and one issue where it charged a bit slow. After calling EA with the issue of not charging at one pole they said try and initiate the charge using the app instead of the pole and it ended up working. Oddly I didn’t know that you could do that, so lesson learned.

One of the 10 stops was at an FPL (Florida Power and Light) station and it worked flawlessly. Theirs is interesting. You can your card, Apple Pay or scan a QR using their app to identify the station, pay and start the charging.

Overall, I still think there is huge room from improvement. Locations first, these needs to be placed in more traditional rest stop locations. I know GM did a deal with EVGO and Pilot/Flying J to install a large number of chargers at their stops. However, it needs to go beyond just that one deal. I think the issue is making DCFC profitable which it isn’t yet.

Rest areas along major interstates (NJ has state owned rest stops along the Garden State Parkway and NJTpke) and a couple have 50kW EVGo chargers but they need to dedicate space for DCFC.

Lastly, I think the industry made a mistake not adopting the Tesla charging format. CCS adapters and lines are a bit unwieldy compared to the small format AC/DC single connector Tesla developed. It’s a small issue but Tesla nailed that convenient small connector compared CCS.

TL;DR

F150 Lightning provided me a great road trip experience. A few small surmountable issues and a good time over 2500 miles of east coast travel.

Ok just completed a 2500+ mile road trip in the Lightning. First it drove wonderfully, comfortable, spacious and just like a regular high trim F150.

I did a fair bit of prep like I did with my Porsche but only use that as a backup in case things go poorly. I used the Ford navigation and limited it to EA DCFC only. In the 10 stops I made along the journey I had one issue with one pole and one issue where it charged a bit slow. After calling EA with the issue of not charging at one pole they said try and initiate the charge using the app instead of the pole and it ended up working. Oddly I didn’t know that you could do that, so lesson learned.

One of the 10 stops was at an FPL (Florida Power and Light) station and it worked flawlessly. Theirs is interesting. You can your card, Apple Pay or scan a QR using their app to identify the station, pay and start the charging.

Overall, I still think there is huge room from improvement. Locations first, these needs to be placed in more traditional rest stop locations. I know GM did a deal with EVGO and Pilot/Flying J to install a large number of chargers at their stops. However, it needs to go beyond just that one deal. I think the issue is making DCFC profitable which it isn’t yet.

Rest areas along major interstates (NJ has state owned rest stops along the Garden State Parkway and NJTpke) and a couple have 50kW EVGo chargers but they need to dedicate space for DCFC.

Lastly, I think the industry made a mistake not adopting the Tesla charging format. CCS adapters and lines are a bit unwieldy compared to the small format AC/DC single connector Tesla developed. It’s a small issue but Tesla nailed that convenient small connector compared CCS.

TL;DR

F150 Lightning provided me a great road trip experience. A few small surmountable issues and a good time over 2500 miles of east coast travel.
CCS is laid out for very high max output which comes at a cost...

"Range is King," so if I have to choose now, I'll choose GM Sierra EV with a range of 400 miles rather than the Ford Lightning with a 300-mile range.
This whole "Choice" will be a lot more interesting when there are options out there to choose from. ATM it's just a bunch of things we can't actually buy shipping at some indeterminate date in the future.

"Range is King," so if I have to choose now, I'll choose GM Sierra EV with a range of 400 miles rather than the Ford Lightning with a 300-mile range.
I think it depends.

I don't doubt that some people really need 400+ miles of range on a full charge... but at the same time... I think there are more people who don't even need more than 100 miles per day (as I've said before).

Price is king depending on what the delta is between the 300m Lightning vs the 400m Sierra.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Range is pointless if it takes an 90+ minutes to charge you are still screwed when road tripping. Solid bet the Cybertruck with 300 miles range will be the much better road trip machine than the Silverado even with the lower range.

Nothing boils down to one metric, particular when we lack any real world details on most of these trucks to compare them.

Since we don't have a Silverado or a Cybertruck to compare, it's sort of pointless talking about which is best.

The F150 and the Rivian are the only trucks you can sort-of buy and the one ones with real world specs.

There are quite a few used ones for sale with very low miles. Either people are trying to make a huge profit or the truck just doesn't meet their needs
It could also be people are trying to unload them because the job or equity market conditions.

Also, a bit surprised people are selling them so soon. According to this article, Ford was suggesting dealers could put this wording in the sales contract:
"Purchaser hereby agrees that it will not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise transfer any ownership interest in the Vehicle prior to the first anniversary of the date hereof. Purchaser further agrees that Seller may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of the title of the Vehicle or demand payment from Purchase of all value received as consideration for the sale or transfer.”

Last edited: