Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did you pay for your 50 Amp Outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read a thread about charging on 120 volt 15 amp outlets and was curious how much all of you paid to install a 220 volt 50 amp outlet?

I just built a new house and the electrician charged me $50 per outlet to install five of them (two at the front of the house in the driveway, one for the RV and two in the garage)

In my last two houses, I had an electrician add 50 amp outlets and they charged me less than $100 each.

Even if I rented a house for two months, I'd still try and convince the owner to allow me to add an outlet. So what am I missing? does it cost much more than this or is it a hassle in some regions?

my house in texas was 10 years old at the time I added a nema 14-50 to the garage. The electrician I chose was not "through" tesla, but just an electrician - any electrician can wire up either the HPWC or a nema outlet.
He had to add a breaker to my main panel, and run #6 across the attic of my garage to where the outlet was located. my total cost was $350.

I had a HPWC put in and a 100A circuit breaker added in order to charge at 19.2KW. They had to do some rewiring in the outside box, bring the wires through the outside wall into the garage, run a conduit across the ceiling, and mount the HPWC. Altogether with the high voltage wire and about 2.5 hrs labor, it cost me $700 for the electrician parts/labor, and $500 for the HPWC. I don't regret it at all. It's great to be able to charge up in only a few hours at home, even though I have a Supercharger only 3 miles away.

Reactions: Chisale
Mine was $500. I hired an electrician due to how hard our exterior wall is. 90 year old extremely hard and thick brick material. (They don't make them like they used to). He had to use an $800 drill that was the size of a mini jack hammer. Plus he had to reroute some existing wiring as that's where the hole had to be. Anyway, bottom line, each and every circumstance is different as you can tell from the replies. I had him install a 50A breaker for 40A/8.5 kW service and couldn't be happier. My M3 LR AWD usually takes 3 to 4 hours to charge unless I arrive home really depleted and even then it's always ready by morning.

Ugh, everything is more expensive in CA. I paid $450 for an outlet that was installed 3 feet below the breaker box, that had spare breakers. That said, I'm EXTREMELY happy to have the relatively fast charging at home -- waking up to a mostly topped off car in the morning is one of the pleasures of Tesla ownership!!

Parts alone will be ~$135 pending your wire length run. See below for my cost.

I installed my own 240V 50 amp 14-50 outlet.
25' of 6-3 Romex ~ $60
High quality Hubbell HD 14-50 outlet - $50
50 amp breaker - $10
Stainless outlet plate - $10
Box and wire staples - $5
Parts total = $135

If you want an HD special, i.e. cheap, 14-50 outlet you can get one for $10.

in southern california, from a tesla listed electrician, i was quoted for $400 to install 50A 14-50 outlet. same price for tesla wall connector. i haven't done it yet since i don't have my vin number yet. i may have him do both 14-50 and wall connector.

do we have to get permits to get this done?

Reactions: 365gtb4
I had a HPWC put in and a 100A circuit breaker added in order to charge at 19.2KW. They had to do some rewiring in the outside box, bring the wires through the outside wall into the garage, run a conduit across the ceiling, and mount the HPWC. Altogether with the high voltage wire and about 2.5 hrs labor, it cost me $700 for the electrician parts/labor, and $500 for the HPWC. I don't regret it at all. It's great to be able to charge up in only a few hours at home, even though I have a Supercharger only 3 miles away.

Seems like a waste of money because your Tesla's on board charger can't even charge at 19.2kW. Max is 11.5kW. Onboard Charger

Reactions: Hamilaird
$85 for a NEMA 14-50, I wired myself and had my electrician friend look over. Bought an Eaton box at Lowes , 8’ of 6 gauge wire, conduit, double pole breaker. The longer the wiring run, the more expensive. If you have to get a permit, more expensive.

$40 labor and $90 for the breaker plus wires. I also bought some materials and paint to patch the drywall myself. I think the total was $150. My 14-50 outlet is on the other side of the break box so wires weren't even longer than a foot and a half.

Ugh, everything is more expensive in CA. I paid $450 for an outlet that was installed 3 feet below the breaker box, that had spare breakers. That said, I'm EXTREMELY happy to have the relatively fast charging at home -- waking up to a mostly topped off car in the morning is one of the pleasures of Tesla ownership!!

yep, same here. Labor is expensive in SoCal due to living costs, etc.I suppose the hidden possible cost of owning a car. But its ok, just takes months to recover cost relative to a regular gas car.

Seems like a waste of money because your Tesla's on board charger can't even charge at 19.2kW. Max is 11.5kW. Onboard Charger

Some do it to future prove it in case they get a second Tesla, Wall charger can use same 100Amp breaker to charge two Teslas at 40Amps each. Usually bulk of the price is Labor especially on the shorter runs relative to Breaker size, wire gauge.

would have been charged the same amount in va

in southern california, from a tesla listed electrician, i was quoted for $400 to install 50A 14-50 outlet. same price for tesla wall connector. i haven't done it yet since i don't have my vin number yet. i may have him do both 14-50 and wall connector.

do we have to get permits to get this done?

most cities require permits. Your best bet is to call your city planning office and ask. The answer you get from the electrician might have more to do with his scruples that the actual requirements.

Reactions: w1n78