Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often and how many times have you had flat tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had two leaking tires during the last 20 years.
One was a road hazard encountered as I was leaving the dealership after buying a new Jaguar XK-8. That wassup to metal screws left on the dealership floor. Within an hour I had a new tire.
Two was a year ago with my Model S when I parked in a Home Depot and somebody left a stapler string under a tire. I had a slow leak for three day while I waited for a replacement tire.
It's my suspicion that today the only substantial risk is road hazards, and those increase inversely with the tire aspect ratio.
That makes me choose the highest aspect ratio offered with a car I but. That, not by coincidence, produces the cheapest and most durable tire, but also the least sexy.
With Tesla, and everyone else, the lower the aspect ratio the more responsive and the less heat build up, therefore the best ultra high speed performance.
In road use I'll choose the most practical.
I will be quite surprised if anyone has a non-road-hazard-related flat tire. Whether one needs to carry a spare IMHO, is a function mostly if one travels in very remote areas where replacement might be unavailable.

Then be ready to also carry whatever jack it takes to lift a Tesla from underneath the battery. I would also forsake a lot of storage space and the extra weight for the peace of mind, but I just don't see how it's feasible. The only thing I can think of that could lift the car would be one of those floor jacks with the big lift handle, and even the aluminum ones weigh almost 40 lbs, which would be a pain to take out of the car, not to mention how much room they would take. If there's something less heavy or bulky that would do the job, I would love to know.

I don't know if the air suspension would respond to lowering if it doesn't get the feedback of the car lowering. But if they make one of those scissor jacks that's short enough to fit under the battery, it could work. You would only need to raise one corner of the car (I think, I don't see where the owners manual says either way, you have to infer it). But look forward to reading what people say about this.
I have a 1.5 ton scissor jack and it fits under the X just fine. It's pretty slim so I can't imagine it wouldn't also fit under an S.

Amazon.com: Torin T10152 Scissor Jack - 1.5 Ton: Automotive

Yes, I changed the tire at home, took a short drive while looking for error messages and then changed it back again, using a torque wrench to replace the lug nuts (they need more force than you might think).

I followed the instructions in the MS manual for Jack mode, but I don't recall the air suspension setting. I use a hockey puck with the scissor jack to help distribute the load and avoid damage. I didn't buy the BMW jack, just a standard one with an appropriate load rating and a flat lift area.

There are also other threads where this has been covered for the MS. It may be new science for the MX.

As for WHERE to jack, there are built in jack points shown in the manual (page 165). They are NOT on the battery (smooth silver on bottom of the picture), they are on the rails next to the battery. On my X they are even covered in plastic. You really shouldn't need to use a hockey puck. Here is what you should look for...

IMG_6592.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I have a 1.5 ton scissor jack and it fits under the X just fine. It's pretty slim so I can't imagine it wouldn't also fit under an S.

Amazon.com: Torin T10152 Scissor Jack - 1.5 Ton: Automotive

As for WHERE to jack, there are built in jack points shown in the manual (page 165). They are NOT on the battery (smooth silver on bottom of the picture), they are on the rails next to the battery. On my X they are even covered in plastic. You really shouldn't need to use a hockey puck. Here is what you should look for...

View attachment 225355
This is great information. It's nice to know that the jack point is actually delineated like that. I was thinking one would have to approximate the location. I had actually already bookmarked that jack, since it has a nice big base. Have you needed to use it yet? And what are you doing for a spare? Do you carry it all the time, or just long trips?

This is great information. It's nice to know that the jack point is actually delineated like that. I was thinking one would have to approximate the location. I had actually already bookmarked that jack, since it has a nice big base. Have you needed to use it yet? And what are you doing for a spare? Do you carry it all the time, or just long trips?
I haven't needed it yet, but I did test it out to make sure it works. I don't carry a spare. I have a plug kit and this jack. If it's worse than that, I'll call Tesla to get a flatbed.

If you haven't read the thread linked in the first post of this thread, you should. There is a post on the first page with links to other threads on this topic, and my post (#13) that has links to the jack and the plug kit (both available on Amazon). It also has a picture of the jack points from page 165 of the manual that I referenced.

Cheers!

Reading this thread What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX made me wonder how often and how many times MX owners have had flats? Seems like many have experienced at least one in the first few months of owning a MX? Some statistics will be good...

I had my first flat yesterday in just over a month of owning MX. Replacing front passenger tire today.

What is your statistics? How many flats in how many months/years with MX? Is there a trend or pattern?
Had my second flat and tire replaced with in 6 months!! Another side wall gash.

just got a nail in the tire on 9/14. Nail is in the center of the outter threads. Tesla says they/no one should repair in that location. It's illegal. Really slow leak as it takes about 2 days to go from 41psi to 35-36psi. Got about 20k miles on the stock tires LX sport.

Question is do I replace the tire, which is about $400-450 depending on local tire shop or tesla? What's the rating on the stock tires. Should I wait and just get 4 new tires/rims possible for improved efficiency once I wear out the stocks?

Dilemma, dilemma....

Has anyone here actually purchased a spare tire for Model X and used it successfully? I was thinking about letting my stock tires run out of tread and then when I replace them with new tires retain one of them as a potential spare. I see there are some pretty cheap wheels being sold on eBay that fit the Model X for a couple hundred bucks. Could work in a pinch.

My concern is the different size between front and rear tires. I am not going to carry TWO spares when I want to have one. Could you carry a front spare and simply use it on the rear of the car temporarily? Would that be nuts? Anyone have any advice? Taking a road trip in the spring and would love to pack a spare into the Model X but not sure how it is even possible....

Has anyone here actually purchased a spare tire for Model X and used it successfully? I was thinking about letting my stock tires run out of tread and then when I replace them with new tires retain one of them as a potential spare. I see there are some pretty cheap wheels being sold on eBay that fit the Model X for a couple hundred bucks. Could work in a pinch.

My concern is the different size between front and rear tires. I am not going to carry TWO spares when I want to have one. Could you carry a front spare and simply use it on the rear of the car temporarily? Would that be nuts? Anyone have any advice? Taking a road trip in the spring and would love to pack a spare into the Model X but not sure how it is even possible....

You would be better off getting a small temporary spare (if you decide to drive around with it) than use a full-sized wheel. Somebody posted (over a year ago) that this BMW spare would work, but I've never tried it myself (yet).

(sigh)
it's such a bummer when links go dead. Oh well. I guess I'll just keep searching.
Tesla redid their store-front, so the links broke. Here are the new links:

Thanks @vandacca I saw that BMW spare but would rather bring a full size on a road trip since then you could put the full size on and keep your trip going to completion without having to deal with replacement.

Since Model X only really has two or three tires you can even buy that are supported and work with the sizes and weight it makes replacing the tire on the fly or on the road very very challenging. So I would hate to have a donut and then not be able to locate a replacement tire when on the road.

I'm in the process of installing a trailer hitch (draw-tire) which can support a cargo carrier where I could put the spare and additional luggage, etc so not worried about space.

Model S here, but I've got two stories to add.

Last fall, I found a nail in the sidewall of a tire, with no leak. I cut the head off so it wouldn't push deeper and drove home, then pulled it out, expecting it to leak and expecting to replace the tire. But no leak (tested with soapy water), no bulge, so I just kept an eye on it for the rest of the season and replaced all 4 summer tires in the spring, since they were worn anyway. I guess it didn't penetrate all the way through. I wouldn't want to leave it that way for long...

And this summer (on a 15,000 km road trip) we had a flat from a nail. Got towed and replaced the tire, but I wished I had a can of the "Slime" temporary repair gunk that you inject into the valve. It would have saved us an hour wait beside a busy interstate and $200 if we could have just driven to the tire shop. I have always carried a compressor for adjusting pressure and in case of slow leaks; now I also carry the Slime.

Model S here, but I've got two stories to add.

Last fall, I found a nail in the sidewall of a tire, with no leak. I cut the head off so it wouldn't push deeper and drove home, then pulled it out, expecting it to leak and expecting to replace the tire. But no leak (tested with soapy water), no bulge, so I just kept an eye on it for the rest of the season and replaced all 4 summer tires in the spring, since they were worn anyway. I guess it didn't penetrate all the way through. I wouldn't want to leave it that way for long...

And this summer (on a 15,000 km road trip) we had a flat from a nail. Got towed and replaced the tire, but I wished I had a can of the "Slime" temporary repair gunk that you inject into the valve. It would have saved us an hour wait beside a busy interstate and $200 if we could have just driven to the tire shop. I have always carried a compressor for adjusting pressure and in case of slow leaks; now I also carry the Slime.
Actually, if you had used the slime (and saved $200), it would have rendered the tire unrepairable and actually cost you a new tire (~$500). Use the slime as a last resort only. I actually purchased a tire plug repair kit and plan to use that (if possible) before using slime.

Reactions: jnahanna
Ah, so I still have one... .sort of... a week ago coming back from a 1700 mile road trip I was traveling one segment from Amarillo to Sweetwater, and I was running too low on mileage the last 10 miles and was doing fine but the miles started dropping much faster than normal and so I had to drive slow in the shoulder the last 3 miles, this was a big mistake...road shoulders love nails. Pop! Next thing I know I'm rolling at 5 mph with 0 Rated Miles for the last 2 miles with the sun setting, semi trucks going by on I-20 while I roll along slowly with my hazards on and no AC...

I made it to the supercharger in sweetwater, and called roadside... they said, sorry buddy, but you are too far from civilization to send a Tesla truck but we will tow you anywhere within 50 miles from where you are located (in other words, we will take you from BFE, Texas to West BFE, Texas)

I stay at the Holiday inn express overnight and try to figure out a way out of this mess. After being told by a couple of dudes in local tire shops that they don't have a tire that will fit, and that there is no way I'll make it home unless I have my car towed... I realized that the only way I'm getting out of this mess is to find a way deeper in....

So, with the help of the Holiday Inn Express manager, I take a nice trip to the local tractor supply shop which is AMAZING!!!!!!! I got my hands on the best kept secret anywhere which is a tractor tire repair kit.... to give you an idea of why it is so awesome, it says on the package to "try to replace the plug every few years" on the package... so I take out the wine bottle opener device that is basically a shiv type rasp device in the package... stab a deeper hole in my tire (without taking off the tire), and then take this tool and put a rubber strip patch through the tip of the device... spread rubber cement on the patch and and shove it in the tire... then cut the extra rubber off and inflate. I did this and sprayed fix-a-flat in there to be safe. The next 200 miles I drove slowly, but now almost 800 miles later, I have no intention of replacing my tire until my arachnids come in...

I now roll around with a 6 ton bottle jack (this may not be the best type of jack but it's light weight and should work on level ground, a tire iron, some slime and most importantly, a tractor tire repair kit.

This kit is no good if you mess up the side wall, but for a big sloppy puncture, it works just fine. I'm frankly shocked that more people don't use this thing! That being said, I won't be driving fast and am driving with an abundance of caution, but I learned several things on this road trip that probably should not be emulated.

I stopped by the tractor supply shop on the way out to double check the patch job... they thought I was from the future with my car.... it was simultaneously surreal, stupid, and awesome all at the same time.

Actually, if you had used the slime (and saved $200), it would have rendered the tire unrepairable and actually cost you a new tire (~$500). Use the slime as a last resort only. I actually purchased a tire plug repair kit and plan to use that (if possible) before using slime.
The tire had to be replaced anyway, although I didn't know that for sure until I got to the tire shop. It went completely flat very fast on the highway and had sidewall damage and piles of rubber "crumbs" inside. The can says the slime can be removed and it won't damage the sensors, but I have no experience with that. At least with the slime, I've got the option of avoiding the tow, understanding the risk. I've got a plug repair kit too but wasn't going to attempt that on the left side of the car on a narrow shoulder on the side of the interstate.

Reading this thread What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX made me wonder how often and how many times MX owners have had flats? Seems like many have experienced at least one in the first few months of owning a MX? Some statistics will be good...

I had my first flat yesterday in just over a month of owning MX. Replacing front passenger tire today.

What is your statistics? How many flats in how many months/years with MX? Is there a trend or pattern?
With the low profile flats seems to be easy. I hit a pothole and blew out the sidewall. So with the 22" i see it as a problem.

With my Volt I picked up a nail well away from civilization so I too used a tire plug and looking good 7000 miles later.

Reactions: buttershrimp
The tire had to be replaced anyway, although I didn't know that for sure until I got to the tire shop. It went completely flat very fast on the highway and had sidewall damage and piles of rubber "crumbs" inside. The can says the slime can be removed and it won't damage the sensors, but I have no experience with that. At least with the slime, I've got the option of avoiding the tow, understanding the risk. I've got a plug repair kit too but wasn't going to attempt that on the left side of the car on a narrow shoulder on the side of the interstate.
Wow, your flat sounded really serious. Slime may not have helped in that situation.

Otherwise, I recall reading in various places that once you use the slime, the tire cannot be repaired and it must be replaced. I don't know why that is. Seems like it should be something you can clean out. I know that some tires have the foam insert to reduce noise. I can see the slime possibly damaging the foam, but the foam is not structural, so it shouldn't matter. Personally, without a good reason, I would try to clean it out and re-use the tire.