Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the filter and mounting kit from the Sunnyvale SC. Worth noting that it took a LOT of persistence. It was pretty difficult to get through to their parts dept. and I had to call back regularly for answers.

I haven't heard back from them whether my part has arrived. I will need to swing by in person today. Agree diff to get the parts dept to pick up the phone. When they do pick up, they are nice and helpful."

I haven't heard back from them whether my part has arrived. I will need to swing by in person today. Agree diff to get the parts dept to pick up the phone. When they do pick up, they are nice and helpful."

Yep, exactly my experience. The parts guy(forget his name) is super nice and helpful... if you can get ahold of him. I got the feeling they’re slammed for whatever reason.

For the pickup, I ended up having to call the main service line and they connected me through to the service team at Sunnyvale who arranged for pickup.

so my story:
I went to pick up the hepa filter. The floor guy, again, very helpful. Comes back after a long 10+ minutes with 3 sets of parts.
(1) HEPA filter, 1059333-00-D, $150
(2) Outlet Duct, 1059335-00-B, $9 (very long, likely 2-3ft)
(3) DUCT adapter, 1046211-00-G $11 (4x8 rectangular section with a divider)
I said my car seems to have everything and only needs the filter, he said this is the conversion kit that the parts mgr had ordered for my car (based on my vin). I was a bit confused, but took delivery anyways and he told if #2 and #3 are not needed, I can return them.

He said Tesla doesn't do this retrofit themselves anymore (not sure they did this for MS anyways, it was only for MX I think), but I think he was a bit confused...regardless, he tried talking to the technician to see if they can do the retrofit and the button on screen, but they couldn't do it. The service mgr said last week another person did the same thing and the service mgr wasn't sure if adding the physical filter alone (without the button etc.) would really be making a difference (not sure if air goes through it).

I will be doing this install tomorrow and will take some pics and see if I have the remaining parts etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: spottyq
so my story:
I went to pick up the hepa filter. The floor guy, again, very helpful. Comes back after a long 10+ minutes with 3 sets of parts.
(1) HEPA filter, 1059333-00-D, $150
(2) Outlet Duct, 1059335-00-B, $9 (very long, likely 2-3ft)
(3) DUCT adapter, 1046211-00-G $11 (4x8 rectangular section with a divider)
I said my car seems to have everything and only needs the filter, he said this is the conversion kit that the parts mgr had ordered for my car (based on my vin). I was a bit confused, but took delivery anyways and he told if #2 and #3 are not needed, I can return them.

He said Tesla doesn't do this retrofit themselves anymore (not sure they did this for MS anyways, it was only for MX I think), but I think he was a bit confused...regardless, he tried talking to the technician to see if they can do the retrofit and the button on screen, but they couldn't do it. The service mgr said last week another person did the same thing and the service mgr wasn't sure if adding the physical filter alone (without the button etc.) would really be making a difference (not sure if air goes through it).

I will be doing this install tomorrow and will take some pics and see if I have the remaining parts etc...

I just did the install. The extra ducting stuff appeared to be completely unnecessary(or, rather, redundant; your car already has it). The filter itself comes as a complete package with the mount. You just take off the existing empty mount from behind the frunk(attached by some of the screws in the frunk, so undo them all) and put in the new one with the filter. Everything hooks up exactly the same way.

In case anyone else hits it: there’s 2 hoses for air intake coming out of the piece that clips onto the filter mount. They just go down to the floor area, they don’t actually plug in anywhere. I accidentally pulled one up and spent ~10 minutes looking for where it connects before realizing the answer is “nowhere”.

I did it. The video was fantastic, thanks a lot to the O.P. for doing this and letting us all know. Everything was as specified. Also, @MarcusMaximus was right, I had all the parts except the filter, so will return those 2 parts to S.C.

I tested with AC in Auto, at speeds from 3-9, and could clearly notice/feel/hear air going through the hepa filter housing. Previously it was an empty bin, now a true hepa filter ( back of the hepa filter has the charcoal elements). At speeds 10-11, the car goes into automatic internal circulation and so no air passes through the hepa.

This is a BIG upgrade in my opinion for $150 (OEM) or cheaper through other means. Kudos to the following:
1. For tesla to design the system so it is easy for drop in the filter elements for all facelift MSMXs.
2. For keeping the parts costs quite reasonable. I have over the years bought parts from Toyota to BMW and always feel parts they sell are overpriced.
3. To OP for being the maverick and posting this DIY for all of us. We should make this a sticky.
4. And thanks in advance to to Musk to make the bio-button programmable for us :).

Cheers
PN

I talked with the service rep that came to the house today to do the recall work on my 5 seat MX. This recall was to adjust the cable tension in one of the rear seats. He said mine was already at the correct tension. The car was built in mid- July of this year. We have had it for 2 months. I asked the service rep (been with Tesla for 5 years) if he could answer questions about the bio-defense mode and if I installed a HEPA filter, would it all work the same. Service people that I have worked with during my limited time in owning this car have always been very helpful and professional. He told me that my Model X came with all the hardware necessary for the bio-defense mode to work. All the air goes thru the large filter space behind the frunk. The charcoal filter behind the glove box is already there. He said he was aware of this thread and that adding your own filter does work. I did not ask him about the local service center activating the "button". Think I will wait awhile before pursuing that. Will see if the local service center will sell me a HEPA filter. He said he did not know about that. He briefly showed me where the major bolts were for frank removal......very similar to Model S configuration. Once I install the filter, to activate the system manually I would turn the fan to between 3-9 to bring in air from outside, thru the HEPA filter. After leaving it at that for several minutes?.....change the fan speed to 10-11 to keep the internal HEPA filtered air recirculating in the cabin. Does that sound right?

I talked with the service rep that came to the house today to do the recall work on my 5 seat MX. This recall was to adjust the cable tension in one of the rear seats. He said mine was already at the correct tension. The car was built in mid- July of this year. We have had it for 2 months. I asked the service rep (been with Tesla for 5 years) if he could answer questions about the bio-defense mode and if I installed a HEPA filter, would it all work the same. Service people that I have worked with during my limited time in owning this car have always been very helpful and professional. He told me that my Model X came with all the hardware necessary for the bio-defense mode to work. All the air goes thru the large filter space behind the frunk. The charcoal filter behind the glove box is already there. He said he was aware of this thread and that adding your own filter does work. I did not ask him about the local service center activating the "button". Think I will wait awhile before pursuing that. Will see if the local service center will sell me a HEPA filter. He said he did not know about that. He briefly showed me where the major bolts were for frank removal......very similar to Model S configuration. Once I install the filter, to activate the system manually I would turn the fan to between 3-9 to bring in air from outside, thru the HEPA filter. After leaving it at that for several minutes?.....change the fan speed to 10-11 to keep the internal HEPA filtered air recirculating in the cabin. Does that sound right?

No to the last part. To replicate BWD:
1. Set air to pull in from outside
2. Switch fan setting to 9
3. Wait ~5 seconds
4. Set fan back where you want it.

Always leave it on pulling air from outside, not recirculate. Recirculate doesn’t go through the HEPA and can’t maintain the positive pressure.

Also, YMMV, but I can feel the change in pressure when doing above. Feels like pressurizing the cabin on an airplane to me.

No to the last part. To replicate BWD:
1. Set air to pull in from outside
2. Switch fan setting to 9
3. Wait ~5 seconds
4. Set fan back where you want it.

Thank you MarcusMaximus. Called the SC today and just heard back that they can order in the HEPA filter for $175. Should be here in 2 days. Sounds like other SC's have had it as low as $125 but I am going to go ahead and do it. Thanks to everyone on this site for their ideas on this. With the horrible winter inversions that we get here in Salt Lake area, installing this system should really help.

Thank you MarcusMaximus. Called the SC today and just heard back that they can order in the HEPA filter for $175. Should be here in 2 days. Sounds like other SC's have had it as low as $125 but I am going to go ahead and do it. Thanks to everyone on this site for their ideas on this. With the horrible winter inversions that we get here in Salt Lake area, installing this system should really help.

No problem. From what I’ve seen, standard prices are $150 for MS filter and $175 for MX one(it’s a larger filter). Some of us were also sold mounting and ducting parts, but, at least for me, those were redundant.