Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make Cruise control "stupid"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner of my 2022 model 3. Up to now I have mixed feelings about my purchase.

Tonight I had an unsafe experience using only the cruise control. Coming back from the in laws I had my cruise control set (without lane keep assist) and the speed limit changed from a 90km/h to a 60 km/h and the car slammed on the brakes. The car following me thought I was a moron, including my wife. I have been driving this section or road for 12 years and I have never seen anyone follow the speed limit in this section.

My question is: what are the correct setting to have the cruise control follow my set speed no matter the bad data in Tesla's database or what signs says? I want a simple "old school" cruise control.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Reactions: beachmiles
I am a new owner of my 2022 model 3. Up to now I have mixed feelings about my purchase.

Tonight I had an unsafe experience using only the cruise control. Coming back from the in laws I had my cruise control set (without lane keep assist) and the speed limit changed from a 90km/h to a 60 km/h and the car slammed on the brakes. The car following me thought I was a moron, including my wife. I have been driving this section or road for 12 years and I have never seen anyone follow the speed limit in this section.

My question is: what are the correct setting to have the cruise control follow my set speed no matter the bad data in Tesla's database or what signs says? I want a simple "old school" cruise control.

Thanks in advance for the information.

There isnt any way to do that on a new tesla that i am aware of.

...simple "old school" cruise control...
Clearly, Tesla is capable of doing that because dumb cruise controls are still working with Tesla produced from 2008 to September 2014 prior to the addition of radar and camera.

Thus, Tesla could just write software to ignore radar and cameras and give you a dumb cruise as if there was never any radar or cameras but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

It not about disobeying the law. It about operating the vehicle in a safe manner. Having a car jam on the brakes and impede traffic is dangerous to me, my passenger and people around me.

It's a shame I did find this out in the first 7 days of ownership as I would of returned it. It's also a shame that all those YouTubers didn't mention it as some else could of had my car.

I guess I'll be driving a very expensive car for the next ten years without cruise control for everyone safety.

Reactions: RSpanner
It not about disobeying the law. It about operating the vehicle in a safe manner. Having a car jam on the brakes and impede traffic is dangerous to me, my passenger and people around me.

It's a shame I did find this out in the first 7 days of ownership as I would of returned it. It's also a shame that all those YouTubers didn't mention it as some else could of had my car.

I guess I'll be driving a very expensive car for the next ten years without cruise control for everyone safety.
Maybe it's a Canada thing; my cruise control never limits my speed. I can set it to stay 20mph above the speed limit without any issues. Also, you can just turn it off when the speed limit changes...

Reactions: Ciaopec

This issue will get better over time. Although it's no solace to you at this present moment, the car is much more gradual to slow for speed changes on the FSD beta firmware branch. Eventually this will make it out to everyone else (for TACC/AP, not just FSD).

I remember dealing with this as well on regular TACC/AP. Such drastic speed changes are rare on the highway where I rely on some version of cruise (usually AP), but can be more common on local high speed roads. Over time, I started anticipating where the slowdowns would happen and just use the accelerator and the right scroll wheel to keep things smooth. Not ideal, but also not a big effort.

I have a Raven, and even on Autopilot, if I accelerate manually to the speed I want, then engage Autopilot or speed control, it will hold that speed regardless. If I turn it on and let it go to the preset, it behaves as you described. You have told it to always be X above the current speed limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: COS Blue
Seems by your question the car actually Did follow the law and reduce speed as posted but you want it to disobey the law because “you’ve never seen anyone obey that law/speed”. So the answer would be no and it shouldn’t.
Your argument does stand on its own legs as in the autopilot menu you can set it to set above the speed limit (either by speed or percentage of speed). You post implies that Tesla is enabling drive to disobey the law and they shouldn't.

Reactions: COS Blue
In Autopilot settings, do you not have the choice to toggle between speed limit or current speed? Current speed might work better? Also, I think you can set the speed offset pretty high, which might cover that?

(I'm still on an older software version, not sure exactly what's still there.)

Reactions: clydeiii

There have been hundreds of threads in these forums about phantom braking, and it’s been widely covered in media outlets that cover Tesla. If you don’t do your homework, prepare to be disappointed.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
There have been hundreds of threads in these forums about phantom braking, and it’s been widely covered in media outlets that cover Tesla. If you don’t do your homework, prepare to be disappointed.
I’m on 8.2 and my last 1640 mi round trip I had zero phantom brakes. Tesla may have solved this problem. If you do your homework, you will find several makes with this problem currently. NTSHA is investigating some other companies - not Tesla. Not to say they won’t open a ticket on Tesla tomorrow. Seems to be a general problem with the state of software.

It wouldn't have mattered as there is no return period.
And if there was, the article below cited an ex-owner who returned the car for a refund but there's no refund for the past 2 years while he still has to pay monthly payments for the car that's in Tesla's possession:

TACC is a Beta feature

Tesla labels everything as Beta, so the term is pretty much meaningless. Given Tesla’s widespread use of the term I bet they would not be allowed to use it as a defense in court.

A true beta is a deployment to a limited set of invited users. TACC comes with the car as does FSD (not the FSD beta being tested) who paid for it. So neither of these is really beta.

Honestly I'm a bit confused by this behavior.

Before I had FSD Beta I had zero issue with the car slowing for a lower speed limit when using TACC only, and I had to adjust it myself.

When I installed the FSD beta it started to slow when the speed limit was lower. This was sometimes handy, and sometimes really annoying. It was usually annoying because I had already adjusted my speed when passing the sign alerting me to the new speed limit coming up ahead, and then Tesla goes and adjust it to the setting I set for FSD beta (5 over since its city stuff).

When I turned off the FSD beta it went back to not slowing for a lower speed limit when using TACC only. It only slows for turns, traffic, etc.

So I'm confused by why your car is slowing for a lower speed limit.