TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to turn off audio/radio?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RedModel3, Jul 17, 2018.

1. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

I'm hoping someone can help me. I got my car yesterday and have been unable to find an answer to this.

I don't always like to listen to radio or music when I drive. For the life of me, I have been unable to figure out how to turn the audio/radio off. The media system seems very unintuitive. Please help!

2. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Press the left scroll wheel (mute/pause) button.

. . . unless the 3 is different from the S/X.

3. furizu

furizu Member

this ^^ if you're listening to streaming music or Bluetooth you can also hit the "pause" button on the screen.

4. buddhra

buddhra Member

There's no off button since the radio is just a function of the center screen. You can turn the volume down or select a different source like phone, TuneIn, or streaming. Those sources will only start playing after you select something to play.

5. Robert2on

Robert2on Member

This is correct. Push on the left steering wheel button or pause on the screen. Answer provided by the others - enjoy!

6. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

That works!

7. mayes

mayes New Member

Is there a way to prevent the radio from coming on whenever the vehicle starts?

8. DavisJay

DavisJay New Member

I have the same issue. I have to hit the left scroll wheel to turn off the radio every time I enter the car.

• Informative x 1
  9. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

There is no "off". There is only mute and pause. I wish it just started pause/muted each time personally.

10. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

Choose the phone as your source instead. Unless you have something like Spotify playing on your phone, you won't have anything playing through the speakers and you won't have to hit the scroll wheel every time you get in the car.

11. mt2

mt2 Member

Not an acceptable solution. If I hit the left scroll wheel and turn the radio off, I expect it to REMAIN off when I get back in the car. This feels like something that got broken with 2018.36.2. I'm asking Tesla about it.

• Like x 2
  12. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue. Model 3 LR Red.

This has been broken since the beginning of time (well, 2012) on the original Model S software. Still broken.

13. mt2

mt2 Member

I pinged Tesla about it and they indirectly acknowledged that it is a problem by giving me a possible solution,

"I have forwarded your concern to the Service Center. An Adviser will be reaching out to your [sic] shortly to assist with your radio. In the interim, our customers have had a lost [sic] of success resolving this issue performing an MCU Reset."

By the way, it didn't work.

14. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I select the music icon which bring up the audio selections in a window from the bottom of the screen (Which viewable area btw can be set to several different heights depending on how much info you want to see). To turn off the radio station I’ve been listening to I hit pause and close the window by swiping down. When I get in the car the next time there’s no radio playing.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I scroll the volume button to zero.

16. lairdb

lairdb Member

My recollection is that zero=mute=comes back on. Scrolling down to 1 (or down to zero and back up one click) comes back at 1, though.

(I too would prefer off stays off. In fact, I'd prefer powerup=off regardless of previous state.)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Did you try what I suggested in Post #14? How to turn off audio/radio?

18. mt2

mt2 Member

There is no 'Pause' for the radio. The workaround is to select a streaming audio channel and pause that -- but that doesn't even work for me on occasion.

I've noticed that when the UI reboots (which it does way too often), audio starts up again. A random reboot, while the car is parked, might explain streaming music unpausing.I'm thinking we've got two problems here. (1) The radio unmutes whenever the car is unlocked, and (2) all audio restarts after a reboot.

(Edit to add: I still LOVE the car).