Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off audio/radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping someone can help me. I got my car yesterday and have been unable to find an answer to this.

I don't always like to listen to radio or music when I drive. For the life of me, I have been unable to figure out how to turn the audio/radio off. The media system seems very unintuitive. Please help!

I'm hoping someone can help me. I got my car yesterday and have been unable to find an answer to this.

I don't always like to listen to radio or music when I drive. For the life of me, I have been unable to figure out how to turn the audio/radio off. The media system seems very unintuitive. Please help!

There's no off button since the radio is just a function of the center screen. You can turn the volume down or select a different source like phone, TuneIn, or streaming. Those sources will only start playing after you select something to play.

I pinged Tesla about it and they indirectly acknowledged that it is a problem by giving me a possible solution,

"I have forwarded your concern to the Service Center. An Adviser will be reaching out to your [sic] shortly to assist with your radio. In the interim, our customers have had a lost [sic] of success resolving this issue performing an MCU Reset."

By the way, it didn't work.

I select the music icon which bring up the audio selections in a window from the bottom of the screen (Which viewable area btw can be set to several different heights depending on how much info you want to see). To turn off the radio station I’ve been listening to I hit pause and close the window by swiping down. When I get in the car the next time there’s no radio playing.

Did you try what I suggested in Post #14? How to turn off audio/radio?
There is no 'Pause' for the radio. The workaround is to select a streaming audio channel and pause that -- but that doesn't even work for me on occasion.

I've noticed that when the UI reboots (which it does way too often), audio starts up again. A random reboot, while the car is parked, might explain streaming music unpausing.I'm thinking we've got two problems here. (1) The radio unmutes whenever the car is unlocked, and (2) all audio restarts after a reboot.

(Edit to add: I still LOVE the car).