Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 and Center Horn on 2023 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some can identify as being a little sad, but thats not my choice. 20 cents, cheapest mod ever. My 2022 MSLR is the best car I've ever owned. Has a hatchback for hauling wood from home depot, luxary ride to take my wife and friends to dinner. It blows away my 355 HP Corvette with 670 HP, very nice!
2012 Model S also great car. Changing the horn to a button was a solution in search of a problem.

It is a little sad that people are putting 20 cent plastic dots on a $80,000 car to make it functional though. Should give Tesla some clue their design isn’t great.
What’s even sadder is that this simple change is So hard for a few to grasp. Using the Exact same motion of putting your flat hand on the center airbag is the Same only over to the right 2 inches. Slap hand over all buttons and Weeeee the horn blows. Don’t have to even touch a button. More confused by Why this is so complicated for a few.

What’s even sadder is that this simple change is So hard for a few to grasp. Using the Exact same motion of putting your flat hand on the center airbag is the Same only over to the right 2 inches. Slap hand over all buttons and Weeeee the horn blows. Don’t have to even touch a button. More confused by Why this is so complicated for a few.
Maybe people don't know about it?

Because it is completely non standard and not what your muscle memory jumps to when approaching an “oh *sugar*” moment where you would want to use the horn. Given Tesla has moved the horn back to the center on the highland and cybertruck despite keeping the buttons for everything else, seems pretty apparent that even they feel it was an ill advised change.

I know you’re quite the fanboy and prone to cognitive dissonance, but try thinking a little bit.

Because when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, the horn moves and you have to find it. The center is always in the center.

And what @terranx said. For some, it's 10-40+ years of muscle memory. If you're taking a blind turn around a parking deck and someone is backing out without looking for example, now you have to take an extra second maybe to find the horn. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe it doesn't, but it's annoying enough that even if it only pisses off 20% of potential buyers, that's enough to hurt Tesla. Tesla doesn't need to create problems or reasons to not buy their cars.

Because when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, the horn moves and you have to find it. The center is always in the center.

And what @terranx said. For some, it's 10-40+ years of muscle memory. If you're taking a blind turn around a parking deck and someone is backing out without looking for example, now you have to take an extra second maybe to find the horn. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe it doesn't, but it's annoying enough that even if it only pisses off 20% of potential buyers, that's enough to hurt Tesla. Tesla doesn't need to create problems or reasons to not buy their cars.
I have had 29 years to get used to the side horn buttons on my Acura. Having the MS horn placement is less of an issue for me.

Reactions: Yelobird

I find it more troubling that you are so confident this is an issue (and a Mod) yet you still don’t Own this to see if it’s an actual issue is puzzling.

I find it more troubling that you are so confident this is an issue (and a Mod) yet you still don’t Own this to see if it’s an actual issue is puzzling.
Well, I've owned a Tesla for almost 14 years. You?

I've driven the new version and I've ordered one too. It's an issue if someone says it's an issue. This entire thread (and others like it) wouldn't exist if people didn't have a problem with it. I find it troubling someone like you has a problem with others saying they have an issue with this. It's their opinion which is just as valid as yours.

You're telling me if someone turns the steering wheel over completely you can find the exact point where it is just as fast as the center of the steering wheel? That's impressive.

I have had 29 years to get used to the side horn buttons on my Acura. Having the MS horn placement is less of an issue for me.
And that's great. In 20+ years of driving, I've never had a car that didn't have horn in center of steering wheel. No car I've ever rented has ever had the horn not in the center of the steering wheel.

And besides, Elon promised that all cars from Nov 2021 had the hardware to put the horn back in the center, right? If the yoke steering wheel with the new horn was so perfect, they'd never have brought back the round steering wheel (which Elon said they would never do).

Last edited:
But you're right. When a well known and respected reviewer with 18 million followers on one platform says he has a problem with it, it's something Tesla should definitely ignore. I must be completely wrong here. It's definitely something Tesla should ignore.

He doesn’t need to own one to know if it would be an issue for him. Just like many of us see features on other cars, and determine they are issues for us, so we elect not to purchase it. It’s all personal preference.

Reactions: dsm363 and teko
He doesn’t need to own one to know if it would be an issue for him. Just like many of us see features on other cars, and determine they are issues for us, so we elect not to purchase it. It’s all personal preference.
And I've test driven it. Came very close to not ordering the car because of this and the lack of turn signal stalk. But center horn was promised (and the hardware was promised to already be there since Nov 2021 which turns out to likely not be true) so went ahead with new order since I can transfer free Supercharging to it.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
And that's great. In 20+ years of driving, I've never had a car that didn't have horn in center of steering wheel. No car I've ever rented has ever had the horn not in the center of the steering wheel.

And besides, Elon promised that all cars from Nov 2021 had the hardware to put the horn back in the center, right? If the yoke steering wheel with the new horn was so perfect, they'd never have brought back the round steering wheel (which Elon said they would never do).
Well the fact he said that 3 years ago yet you still ordered likely means it can’t be that big of an issue. It’s pretty clear by now their company decision is to leave it.

Well the fact he said that 3 years ago yet you still ordered likely means it can’t be that big of an issue. It’s pretty clear by now their company decision is to leave it.
And there are still threads and people asking for it so it's certainly not an issue. You're so right! Just because I ordered means the lack of a center horn is a non-issue. It's better than the center horn placement in every way. Thank you for pointing out the error in my ways. I really can learn a lot about Tesla from you so I greatly appreciate your expert insight and analysis.

Reactions: Yelobird