Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 leaked by @greentheonly - new cameras coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front and rear cameras need a washer system to work on the UK. Otherwise you'll just be looking at a solid picture of mud. Of course those washer systems work fine when you only need to clean them when parking but not sure how they'll keep them clear all the time to allow use during driving.

That's why I think when you look at cars like the Range Rover with their clearsight system it's a camera on the roof of the car to avoid this issue.
Add Canada to the list. Cameras in the bumper? They will be inoperable from November to April here unless you bring your Tesla to the carwash on the way to and from your destination. And even then...

OTA update.
LOL. better come up with eyelids and blinker fluid

eyes-blinking.gif

Reactions: GSP and henderrj
What's notable about the additional cameras is that - unlike other changes to the FSD program - this problem could and should have been identified back in 2016.

Back then they definitely didn't know (and couldn't have anticipated) the correct approaches to developing and training the neural nets, how to build the occupancy network, path planning, etc. etc. The iterative approach they have taken was the only way to get there.

But when they designed HW2 back in 2016, they should have identified these visibility issues. No matter how good the software might become, it wasn't going to magically be able to see around corners.
If you dig back to 2015, the cameras they tested included bumper cameras. They apparently decided they were not necessary back then. But given the curbing incidents with FSD Beta (plus their autoparking still being subpar compared to the rest of the industry), perhaps they felt they miscalculated.
Rumor: HW4 will have 13 cameras

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I wouldn't be in a rush to get FSD in a car with HW4
Remember what AP on HW3 was like when it arrived? FSD on HW4 is likely to be even worse.
I'm just biding my time here.
Seriously considering a used Model S with AP1/AP2 while I wait. . .

Reactions: GSP
What's notable about the additional cameras is that - unlike other changes to the FSD program - this problem could and should have been identified back in 2016.

Back then they definitely didn't know (and couldn't have anticipated) the correct approaches to developing and training the neural nets, how to build the occupancy network, path planning, etc. etc. The iterative approach they have taken was the only way to get there.

But when they designed HW2 back in 2016, they should have identified these visibility issues. No matter how good the software might become, it wasn't going to magically be able to see around corners.
The engineers *did* identify the lack of camera coverage as an issue from my understanding.

Elon overruled them and claimed things like Birds Eye view could be stitched together with software. Just like how he claims vision can replace radar. That’s a big “NOPE” on both counts. And no one wants to upset the head twit.

Reactions: dckiwi
The engineers *did* identify the lack of camera coverage as an issue from my understanding.

Elon overruled them and claimed things like Birds Eye view could be stitched together with software. Just like how he claims vision can replace radar. That’s a big “NOPE” on both counts. And no one wants to upset the head twit.
As with anything, It could be done, just that nobody has been able to do it, yet.

Reactions: pilotSteve
As with anything, It could be done, just that nobody has been able to do it, yet.
Ummmm…that’s the point. It cannot be done. There are limitations to what can be done with software. And the addition of the new cameras is Tesla’s official capitulation.

Birds Eye view has been around since 2012. What was the point of omitting the feature and spending god knows how much in time, resources, and credibility just to fall flat on your face?

Reactions: DarkForest
Yeah, we really need to get a definition of of what FSD will be for both HW3 and later [...]
The definition is trivial: Tesla takes on the liability when the car causes accidents.

Unfortunately, we seem to be far far away from this. The differences between hw3 and hw4 seem minuscule compared to how far away Tesla is from taking on the liability. There is no need to get bent out of shape about no retrofits (not saying you are) if hw4 can't achieve true autonomy either.

Ugh, if there is no retrofit path then this is going to quickly spiral into a giant lawsuit mess on the contention that the additional sensors are proof prima facie that Tesla can't achieve FSD with the existing sensor suite. I was really hoping that they were going to have an upgrade path that would result in the HW3 people with FSD not being completely defrauded. :(

Continuing to sell FSD with the pre-existing promises while this is right around the corner is quickly looking like absurdly disgusting behavior!
I bought my 2022 Model S six months and purchased FSD up front because it was implied that this car would be future-proof and capable of eventually driving itself door to door without human intervention. Elon just devalued my car since it appears HW3.0 won’t quite become the level and capability of FSD the he claimed. Let the lawsuits begin….

I bought my 2022 Model S six months and purchased FSD up front because it was implied that this car would be future-proof and capable of eventually driving itself door to door without human intervention. Elon just devalued my car since it appears HW3.0 won’t quite become the level and capability of FSD the he claimed. Let the lawsuits begin….
Same, except I bought MX Plaid with FSD. Lawsuits should begin rolling. The audacity to keep repeating every few months Teslas are appreciating asset and make money for you.

It's one thing to say it once, but to claim these on Twitter, investor days, and interviews repeatedly... is beyond ridiculous.

Many will not question this as they are benefiting from Tesla stock price including many Tesla owners.

The perfect example of Elizabeth Holmes case and Trevor Milton.