Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 leaked by @greentheonly - new cameras coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green alludes to additional redundancies as well, the type of redundancies you'd need to actually achieve something Level 3+ where you need backup everything in case one component fails -- none of that is necessary for Level 2 where the human is the backup.

Reminds me of news breaking a while ago about Tesla foregoing redundant steering control modules for vehicles coming out of Shanghai
Elon said at the Tesla Autonomy Day on April 2019 that HW3 would have all of the redundancies required for RoboTaxi.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Reactions: AndrewZ
Elon said at the Tesla Autonomy Day on April 2019 that HW3 would have all of the redundancies required for RoboTaxi.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up.
The more I think about it the clearer it seems that Autonomy Day was probably the turning point, I think that's when the Cali DMV started getting more aggressive and it's when we got the leaked letters and emails with Tesla very clearly stating that FSD would not move beyond Level 2 in its current implementation.

Now Elon is already talking about HW5

There will always be a next thing. They never stop iterating. This is a good thing.
As long as people know what they're buying, definitely.

This forum is full of people who know Tesla and FSD far better than the average person and still believe HW3 will enable robotaxis and all its associated hopes and dreams. In reality Tesla was sending letters to the DMV years ago stating that wouldn't happen, and we've seen the action they have taken since.

This is all very exciting for people who either haven't already paid for FSD or don't really care their vehicle will never be a robotaxi.

This is all very exciting for people who either haven't already paid for FSD or don't really care their vehicle will never be a robotaxi.
It is not that exciting (even if I had not already bought my robotaxi). It looks like a very small incremental step. At least that incremental step is consistent with Elon’s pronouncements of the capabilities. Consilience!

Here's the list of 11 cameras with my guesses of what they are and ordered from front to rear:
  1. F-SVC (bumper front)
  2. L-FF-Side (front fender facing left side)
  3. R-FF-Side (front fender facing right side)
  4. L-FF-Rear (front fender facing rear left)
  5. R-FF-Rear (front fender facing rear right)
  6. Wide (fisheye)
  7. Main (front / high enough resolution to not need Far)
  8. Selfie (interior)
  9. L-SVC (bumper left / reverse cross traffic)
  10. R-SVC (bumper right / reverse cross traffic)
  11. Backup (reverse)
Good summary, thanks! Easy to visualize the layout like this

Reactions: cdub
Ugh, if there is no retrofit path then this is going to quickly spiral into a giant lawsuit mess on the contention that the additional sensors are proof prima facie that Tesla can't achieve FSD with the existing sensor suite. I was really hoping that they were going to have an upgrade path that would result in the HW3 people with FSD not being completely defrauded. :(

Continuing to sell FSD with the pre-existing promises while this is right around the corner is quickly looking like absurdly disgusting behavior!
Elon said that HW3 will be fully capable of FSD. HW4 will have better accuracy and both will be capable of FSD. HW4 is not required for FSD.

We were told the car could drive itself with the hardware we have so they better own up to it.
What's funny about this statement is IT DOES RIGHT NOW ... it will definitely 100% drive itself ... about like a 15 year old with a learner's permit but nonetheless it does drive itself ...

As a matter of fact, I'm implmenting a new scale effective immediately:

2022 - 15 year old with a learners permit
2023 - 16 year old on their first drive with parents
2024 - 16 year old all by themselves
2025 - 15 year old again, oops, need more sensors
2026 - 14 year old ... uhm, maybe we should re-think radar
2026 - 17 year old! Yes!
2030 - 25 year old half drunk with a cocaine addiction
2031 - New Model S now includes ion engines and wings, FSF by the end of this year! ~ Elon via Mars

In all seriousness, it's improving consistently, FSD is a lot better today than its ever been.

Last edited:
Elon said that HW3 will be fully capable of FSD. HW4 will have better accuracy and both will be capable of FSD. HW4 is not required for FSD.
FSD Beta is pretty impressive from videos I've seen but there's still a massive distance to go. Your HW3 car will be super old, minamal range from battery degregation and worthless before they get there.

As someone in the UK this all is unimportant. There's no FSD Beta here and I suspect unlikely to be in 3 years either. That's the length of time I keep a car so wouldn't matter if it has HW3 or HW4, won't make a blind bit of difference here.

Reactions: enemji
After reading this, is everyone now ready to admit that none of the cars currently on the road are going to be capable of FSD?
I believe my cars will never be capable of being robotaxis, if that is the same thing you are asking. But I always thought Musk lied about FSD capabilities. Hopefully he someday pays for his fraudulent claims but I doubt it.

Eliminating the b-pillar cameras would have the benefit of eliminating the issue where they are prone to fog and/or glare due to placement and being behind glass. However others elsewhere pointed out the potential of certain weather conditions potentially affecting the new configuration even more, so I guess we'll have to see how it all pans out.

Front and rear cameras need a washer system to work on the UK. Otherwise you'll just be looking at a solid picture of mud. Of course those washer systems work fine when you only need to clean them when parking but not sure how they'll keep them clear all the time to allow use during driving.

That's why I think when you look at cars like the Range Rover with their clearsight system it's a camera on the roof of the car to avoid this issue.