Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 sensor suite and hi-res camera updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will make a (possibly futile) plea to everyone, to please not start a Sticky Wiki thread
"HW5: Anticipation and Discussion"
Why not? I did hear him mention Hardware 5. He said something like HW3 is about 200-300% safer, HW4 is about 500-600% safer and HW5 beyond that.

It's about time to put up a sticky 5,005, the ultimate Hardware!

No chance would I settle for FSD portion plus interest. I paid for a car that can do FSD, much like someone paid for a car that can do all wheel drive. If you can't deliver, take back the car so I can get one that actually delivers what is advertised.

When the time comes, ether max damages lawsuit in small claims or higher (with a lawyer) in superior court.
....but that time will NEVER come since all Tesla has to do is say they are still "working on" getting HW3 cars to FSD. Remember there is no time line set (that I know of) so as long as Tesla is actively working and updating the cars they can plausibly say it is coming.

Just because HW4 may reach FSD first doesn't mean HW3 can't or that Tesla will say it can't.

Hypothetical scenario:

2025 HW4 reaches L3
2027 HW4 reaches L4 and HW3 reaches L3

Once HW3 reaches L3 Tesla has fulfilled offering FSD for your car even though HW4 would be MUCH better at L4. L3 still qualifies as FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The free FSD HW updates was only promised for a small set of older cars to my knowledge. And wasn’t it just a post from Musk and not anything on the website, invoice or purchase agreement?

Short of good will or class action lawsuit is there even anything documented that every car to date purchased with FSD will get any HW updates?

Getting back to the OP’s question:
Anyone have info on this? Curious of implications for every Tesla equipped with FSD built before this upgrade.

There was speculation that HW4/camera updates could appear in S/X/3/Y this year, possibly in the next few months. On the earnings call yesterday, it seemed that Elon dismissed that idea, and said the upgraded hardware would first appear in the Cybertruck. Did I misunderstand?

Getting back to the OP’s question:

There was speculation that HW4/camera updates could appear in S/X/3/Y this year, possibly in the next few months. On the earnings call yesterday, it seemed that Elon dismissed that idea, and said the upgraded hardware would first appear in the Cybertruck. Did I misunderstand?
I also understood that Cybertruck would be the first appearance of HW4. Also, current HW3 vehicles would not upgrade to HW4.

He didn't mention if newly built S/X/3/Y/Semi vehicles would switch to HW4, but I'm guessing they will do this shortly after Cybertruck hits the road. You want to keep the active fleet as high-tech as possible I'd think.

Why not? I did hear him mention Hardware 5. He said something like HW3 is about 200-300% safer, HW4 is about 500-600% safer and HW5 beyond that.

It's about time to put up a sticky 5,005, the ultimate Hardware!
Using "Safer" as a way to say FSD is "solved" is not good enough IMO. If it gets to that point while still to driving like a student, then that's not "solved". The question I have, is will it require HW4 or better to get to that point? Everyone on HW3 is going to get a half baked product that we spent thousands on.

Funny. This is how I describe FSD to people when they ask, drives like a 16 year old. Although I've since upgraded that to 18 year old, it's definitely getting better.
It still drives like that for me. Have a green light and it slows down way back everytime and misses it. It cuts through lanes when turning left and sometimes when turning right. It's just slow and untrustworthy. I imagine they can improve it to be safe enough with HW3, but it will still drive like a student and won't work in poor weather.

It needed to take a left turn the other day and got in the middle lane super early, then decided to get out of the turn lane out of no where. It makes poor decisions that make me not want to use it.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Are you suggesting even if Tesla achieves 2-3x safer than average human with HW3, it won't be good enough for robotaxi or hands-off? Or that you have doubts Elon Musk's safety expectations will be achievable with HW3?
Do you see Tesla taking ownership of the DDT and liability for accidents in vehicles that are only 2-3x safer than a human? Whatever that even means.

FSD is a Level 2 ADAS

No chance would I settle for FSD portion plus interest. I paid for a car that can do FSD, much like someone paid for a car that can do all wheel drive. If you can't deliver, take back the car so I can get one that actually delivers what is advertised.

When the time comes, ether max damages lawsuit in small claims or higher (with a lawyer) in superior court.
No, you paid for an electric vehicle, which works fine. You also paid for an add-on that doesn't work to your specifications. Take away the add-on and the car still works as an electric vehicle.

The way I see it, I doubt Robotaxi will be ready in 10 years, so why not take whatever we get as drive assist feature (a very good one at that), and move on? If a self driving system is that good, I expect it to cost far more than $15k...

I know, Must said it would be perfect. And I did fall for that once. But not again. And I'm satisfied with what we have. 😁

It does actually.

The problem is FSD is obviously far away - and may never come to current gen vehicles.
Who knows how many iterations this will need to go through before anything resembling full
autonomy and DDT transference occurs. The verbiage around the next iteration should be a tell: do they promise Robotaxi functionality?

I highly doubt it, we’ll probably get to HW20 and still require eyeballs forward.

No, you paid for an electric vehicle, which works fine. You also paid for an add-on that doesn't work to your specifications. Take away the add-on and the car still works as an electric vehicle.
No musk stated that all cars have the hardware for FSD which they do not as only hw3 and later even has the chance of it so far.

Then some people paid for fsd and should get what they paid for.

CEO's lie all the time. They are definitely going to try to weasel their way out of upgrading our cars and say it's "good enough".

That’s a different thing though, you also mentioned “you bought an electric car” no we bought an electric car with specified advertised features.

Whether it’s good enough is probably how it will play out.

I think camera location wise can do L2- L3, I think a better chance to L3 if they are to retrofit the newer cameras. The HW3 computer maybe L3 if they fix a lot what they got or rewrite it from scratch learning from what they have done so far to make it better (I mean OpenPilot with their end-to-end lateral and end-to-end longitudinal planning has more with less HW) we can get to L3. I think L4 and beyond would not be this current HW camera locations or computer.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
No musk stated that all cars have the hardware for FSD which they do not as only hw3 and later even has the chance of it so far.

Then some people paid for fsd and should get what they paid for.
Correct, but you didn't buy an autonomous vehicle. You still bought an electric vehicle with an optional add-on - key word "optional". The optional add-on isn't working as you expected, and you may be able to get a refund of that add-on.

If the car was sold as a flying car, with its primary drivetrain being a flight system, and it didn't fly, then you'd be correct that a court would likely grant you the cost of the vehicle.

Correct, but you didn't buy an autonomous vehicle. You still bought an electric vehicle with an optional add-on - key word "optional". The optional add-on isn't working as you expected, and you may be able to get a refund of that add-on.

If the car was sold as a flying car, with its primary drivetrain being a flight system, and it didn't fly, then you'd be correct that a court would likely grant you the cost of the vehicle.
Yes it won’t be a full refund but a part refund realistically.

Reactions: KArnold and Dewg