Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 sensor suite and hi-res camera updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3x better than humans. HW4 will be 5x better.

When you are just making up numbers, does it really matter?

Yes these are the specific metrics he gave. I think he said average driver but not sure. Sad. That is poor performance even for HW4.

In any case, retrofitting is not financially viable. That much is now set in stone, finally.

Good news is that they clearly expect to get there with HW3. I wonder where they currently stand? 100x less safe than a human? How do you measure - you cannot look at current performance of course since that is not relevant to where they currently stand! All very confusing. Once you get to 3x better than human you can’t account for monitoring.

I do think HW3 will be "enough" as long as they scope functionality appropriately (eg. no robotaxi, no hands-off operation, etc)
Are you suggesting even if Tesla achieves 2-3x safer than average human with HW3, it won't be good enough for robotaxi or hands-off? Or that you have doubts Elon Musk's safety expectations will be achievable with HW3?

Are you suggesting even if Tesla achieves 2-3x safer than average human with HW3, it won't be good enough for robotaxi or hands-off? Or that you have doubts Elon Musk's safety expectations will be achievable with HW3?
The latter; the step change in behavior required to get it to a level where I can actually use it for an entire trip without disengaging will need a chunk more compute (and better cameras maybe) IMO. We all know about his prediction accuracy.

Reactions: Matias
I think this just makes me more convinced to hold on to my 2017 S90D with FSD that was advertised to drive me across the country while I slept or worked. What if they say "well, it does but it requires HW6" (or something). At what point do they basically have to give us new vehicles?
Your best case scenario is they refund your FSD portion of the purchase, possibly with interest, if you take them to court. Class action may also provide some financial relief, but the payout is usually less per participant, with the lawyers making most.

Your best case scenario is they refund your FSD portion of the purchase, possibly with interest, if you take them to court. Class action may also provide some financial relief, but the payout is usually less per participant, with the lawyers making most.
No chance would I settle for FSD portion plus interest. I paid for a car that can do FSD, much like someone paid for a car that can do all wheel drive. If you can't deliver, take back the car so I can get one that actually delivers what is advertised.

When the time comes, ether max damages lawsuit in small claims or higher (with a lawyer) in superior court.