Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 leak: 1 fewer camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, thanks. As I’ve never owned a Tesla, are these things retrofitted when they are released or just have to trade in for newer Tesla?
Relevant thread:

Now, whether you can pay for a retrofit - not yet clear

dssDV4J.jpg
The placement of the side front camera is key to resolving issues that Tesla will never resolve with their current camera setup. As I noted here:

In short, the Tesla the side cameras on the b-pillars are too far back, requiring it to creep 2 feet further into a road vs human, and the only front facing cameras are centered, preventing the car seeing down a road when there is an obstruction in the center median, requiring the car to creep 2 feet further left into oncoming traffic, versus a human.

The placement of the side front camera is key to resolving issues that Tesla will never resolve with their current camera setup. As I noted here:

In short, the Tesla the side cameras on the b-pillars are too far back, requiring it to creep 2 feet further into a road vs human, and the only front facing cameras are centered, preventing the car seeing down a road when there is an obstruction in the center median, requiring the car to creep 2 feet further left into oncoming traffic, versus a human.

This has been pointed out ad nauseam. It may turn out to be a fatal flaw in their approach, we'll see. I think the real litmus test will be HW4 - if they don't change camera placement with this new hardware suite, then they are committing themselves to making the current camera placement work for years to come (on millions of cars).

Will these guys ever stop copying Mobileye?

But i wonder if this setup will still clash with Mobileye's trifocal camera patent aswell, like the previous setup they copied.

Mobileye's Multi-camera / Trifocal Camera patent
US20150103159A1 - Forward-facing multi-imaging system for navigating a vehicle - Google Patents

Mobileye's previous 3 front camera setup

Mobileye's new 8MP 2 front camera setup

Mobileye previous 8 camera setup

I believe strongly Mobileye and Auto Manufactures will be the future as they are not limited. I love the competition, but the players, like Volkswagan Group (VW,Audi, Porsche) and GM as well as Japan and South Korean manufactures will come up with solutions via ICE and Electric that will break the price barrier of sub 30K for hands free driving. It will happen, and happen quickly, sub 5 year period.

Tesla will evolve and compete also, but make no doubt about it, the FSD will happen, and it will happen on more then one HW/Software platform.

Love this post by the way.

Last edited:
To the point of this discussion. I believe HW4 will not deliver, and even these car owners may find themselves in the same boat as prior HW Versions. I believe that the reality is, FSD will exist but not on any of the current solutions from Tesla.

Only time will tell. Just be happy with what the car can do, it is a good car, but if you bought it so it would drive itself, be prepared to be disappointed in my humble opinion.

Reactions: sjg98
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I do love that the leading edge on the front of the side repeater light isn't actually flush on that particular example.

Someone on Twitter suggested this might be something like HW3.5 with new cameras but old layout - but it doesn't really make sense to spend all the time and energy engineering a half-step solution. Guess we'll know next week (hopefully).

Reactions: dtdtdt and DanCar
Bit of a small thread bump, there seems to be a lot of HW4 inventoty now about which suggests deliveries will also be happening. Has anbody confirmed what the actual differences are on a typical MS or MX? I've seen speculation that the extra camera inputs on the circuit board might be for the Cybertruck etc and nopt populated on the MSX, where as others are convinced there are cameras in the front headlight units.

Do we know yet for sure?

(apologies if I've just missed it)

Bit of a small thread bump, there seems to be a lot of HW4 inventoty now about which suggests deliveries will also be happening. Has anbody confirmed what the actual differences are on a typical MS or MX? I've seen speculation that the extra camera inputs on the circuit board might be for the Cybertruck etc and nopt populated on the MSX, where as others are convinced there are cameras in the front headlight units.

Do we know yet for sure?

(apologies if I've just missed it)

Based on some photos of confirmed HW4 cars, there are no extra cameras at this time, only rumors that they will get added in some months. The key difference is the camera modules themselves are different, as well as repeater cameras being tilted differently compared to the older units.

Reactions: MTOman and DanCar