Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 sensor suite and hi-res camera updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if Tesla perfects FSD I'm not sure how the lawyers are going to let them let us take our eyes off the road or hands off the wheel ... I guess at that point there will be laws protecting them, dunno, but going to be interesting for sure!

Even if Tesla perfects FSD I'm not sure how the lawyers are going to let them let us take our eyes off the road or hands off the wheel ... I guess at that point there will be laws protecting them, dunno, but going to be interesting for sure!
Mercedes takes on liability for L3 in Germany and in Nevada (soon CA hopefully). Small ODD, but they are voluntarily liable, as they believe in their product. I wouldn't use or buy an L3 if they didn't guarantee its functionality. That would be like getting on a plane that only makes it 99% of the flights.

International standards (not US) are already in place for highway eyes off, regulations in the coming years in the EU. UN Regulation extends ‎automated driving up to 130 km/h in certain conditions ‎ | UNECE

Laws protecting them from what?
If the car is driving without human supervision then the manufacturer will be responsible. That’s certainly the way it works for Waymo and Cruise right now. There’s no way laws will be changed to make passengers responsible. Also Musk has already said that Tesla will be responsible for defects in system.

Laws protecting them from what?
If the car is driving without human supervision then the manufacturer will be responsible. That’s certainly the way it works for Waymo and Cruise right now. There’s no way laws will be changed to make passengers responsible. Also Musk has already said that Tesla will be responsible for defects in system.
That's my point ... no lawyers at Tesla are going to approve "hands off, eyes off" as long as they can be held liable ... curious as to how that's going to pan out once they claim to have "perfected" FSD.

It's one thing in small numbers, but once it's half the cars on the road those edge cases are really going to rear their ugly heads.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It's one thing in small numbers, but once it's half the cars on the road those edge cases are really going to rear their ugly heads.
This is why L5 is unfeasible. It can't be validated. L3 on dry highway during daytime using a mix of vision and sensors that doesn't rely on machine learning to get the distance and speed to objects ahead is completely doable in 3-4 years at highway speeds.

If people can get liability insurance, so can autonomous cars if they are as good or better.

Just a quick refresher:
L2 The driver is responsible/liable under ALL conditions.
L3 or higher the car IS THE driver so the CAR/manufacture is responsible/liable.

No way to be driving on L3 or higher and your insurance company be liable since you are NOT the driver but are a passenger.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I wonder how they’re going to develop for HW3 and HW4 at the same time. That seems like a big increase in work load.
Theory: They will spend at least a year collecting higher res videos for HW4 before starting to develop for it. Once they decide they have enough data they will switch to HW4 and HW3 will only get small token updates.

Theory: They will spend at least a year collecting higher res videos for HW4 before starting to develop for it. Once they decide they have enough data they will switch to HW4 and HW3 will only get small token updates.
How do they deal with the slightly different camera positions on different models now? Train the perception neural nets with data from all four or are there actually four different versions?

Reactions: DasBoot