Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 sensor suite and hi-res camera updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if HW4 is imminent for Model Ys? Some YouTube commentators seem to think so.
"Imminent" absolutely NOT. Elon Musk said it was coming to Cybertruck. Anything else is conjecture or throwing spaghetti at the wall at this point. Common sense say it will eventually make it to all vehicles......but common sense doesn't always = Tesla policy.

Last edited:
Retrofitting is problematic because the higher resolution cameras use more bandwidth, and a more powerful computer needs more power and cooling. That would require replacing all the wiring, which significantly complicates the process.

I’m sure they’ll want to ship HW4 across platforms eventually, rather than having multiple systems.

…a more powerful computer needs more power and cooling…
Since revisions are four years apart, and there is significant heat and power reduction with die shrinkage over that time, Tesla could get some computing increase AND some power/heat decrease, if they choose.

But since the new HWx form factor is liquid cooled, it seems doubtful that Tesla would go to the trouble for the older, air cooled cars.

Maybe some enterprising engineers will figure out how to retrofit a cooling loop, run more power and hack the gateway config to put the new HW4+ units in older cars.

Apparently there will be no free upgrade Elon Musk kills hope of Tesla retrofitting new Autopilot/Self-Driving hardware

Which seems very unfair given I paid 10k and other folks here paid even more. Honestly that makes me want to pursue some sort of recourse.
Well there are 400 thousand customers just in US alone. I think that's a sufficient number for a massive class action lawsuit. HW3 with current cameras will never become a robotaxi as claimed by Musk on the first AI day. "appreciating asset" where the car will make money for you. or it will drive you from LA to NY without any human intervention

appreciating asset. You mean with HW4 our cars have depreciated.

The real question is how safe should the vehicle test be to pass for level 5.

Just like a person a the software needs to be tested and pass.

But that being said. The current camera placements on the car leave blind spots that may hinder the FSD.

That being said there is no way this system will pass for winter driving. Up here in Canada my camera get covered alert 10-15 minutes of driving due to the salt.

Reactions: DL_Mike
You could be waiting for years, the only confirmation we have is that HW4 will be in CyberTruck ... and then what about HW5? 6?

You are right, maybe HW4 will not bring the promises either, but a few years have passed since the first AI day. It doesn't matter if it is HW 5, 6 or 10; upgrades can be stopped once the promises that were on their website and Elon's claims are fulfilled. Up to that point, they have to upgrade these cars. Otherwise, many people, including myself, were misled by the fact that he said it's an appreciating asset because it will be capable of being a robotaxi and make you money when you are not using the car.

Legally Tesla will lose. He emphasized numerous times that these HW3 cars will be capable of robotaxi and they demonstrated the Tesla robotaxi network on their app on the AI day. Honestly, they kind of pulled a Nikola on this one. Musk is becoming Elizabeth Holmes day by day. But all of his companies have succeeded so who knows?

I thought the reason for raising the price of FSD every once in a while was to make up for these upgrades that may be necessary for the future.

appreciating asset. You mean with HW4 our cars have depreciated.

The real question is how safe should the vehicle test be to pass for level 5.

Just like a person a the software needs to be tested and pass.

But that being said. The current camera placements on the car leave blind spots that may hinder the FSD.

That being said there is no way this system will pass for winter driving. Up here in Canada my camera get covered alert 10-15 minutes of driving due to the salt.
With a wide-angle camera, this problem may be mitigated, at least I hope. Otherwise, our cars will be worth nothing.

I ask because I plan to upgrade my S to a new one this year, but if HW4 is really coming I want to wait for that. Elon said on the call that Cybertruck might start production mid-summer. Electrek is still speculating that the new hardware will be announced “any day now.” I figured if an announcement is coming, it might happen at Tesla Investor Day on March 1.

I know that you can’t predict the timing of Tesla hardware changes, but HW4 would be a big deal, and there’s no upgrade path, so it’s worth waiting for.

Maybe HW4 will not solve it either but it's def better than a HW3 car that cannot be retrofitted and will likely become obsolete (so much for appreciating asset). Honestly, this is all messed up.

Since revisions are four years apart, and there is significant heat and power reduction with die shrinkage over that time, Tesla could get some computing increase AND some power/heat decrease, if they choose.

But since the new HWx form factor is liquid cooled, it seems doubtful that Tesla would go to the trouble for the older, air cooled cars.

Maybe some enterprising engineers will figure out how to retrofit a cooling loop, run more power and hack the gateway config to put the new HW4+ units in older cars.

How do you know its liquid cooled?

I thought the chip swap was the easy part. The hard part was replacing the cameras..

Well there are 400 thousand customers just in US alone. I think that's a sufficient number for a massive class action lawsuit. HW3 with current cameras will never become a robotaxi as claimed by Musk on the first AI day. "appreciating asset" where the car will make money for you. or it will drive you from LA to NY without any human intervention
Many, if not most, of those 400,000 are subscribing to FSD on a month to month basis. They are not owed anything beyond FSD's capabilities in the current month of their subscription.

A lot of people in here saying people are gonna take them to court or class action. Seems a lot of people don’t understand the arbitration clause and the ramifications of that.
Irrespective of arbitration clause there is still liability for Tesla if they don't deliver their promises with HW3. For starters, an enterprising AG could bring action for fraud against Tesla. If they aren't really able to deliver what they have promised then they likely already know that. At this point their continuing sales of something (FSD) they can't deliver would be fraud. Also, I don't think the change in language on the order page is enough to shield them from liability concerning their previous statements. It would be the equivalent of Ford running ads saying an F150 get 2000 miles per gallon and then trying to hide behind a sale contract that says anything not in the contract is mute.

Also, if they do fail to deliver what is promised there is also possible mass arbitration, ie many thousands of people bringing cases such that it actually costs Tesla more to defend than a class action at which point they are pretty much in trouble either way :p

Except that is not what he said. In context “basically zero” could still mean trillions of dollars.
Yes, in a world where the largest company market caps are $2 trillion, I'm sure basically zero is trillions.

Honestly that makes me want to pursue some sort of recourse.
Wait for them to fail to deliver first though.

Does anyone know if HW4 is imminent for Model Ys?
Not imminent, but inevitable.

Retrofitting is problematic because the higher resolution cameras use more bandwidth, and a more powerful computer needs more power and cooling. That would require replacing all the wiring, which significantly complicates the process.
It's a good thing we paid them $9-$15k ahead of time! If they're smart, they realized the promises they made, and thus designed the cars such that these upgrades can be more easily done.

A lot of people in here saying people are gonna take them to court or class action. Seems a lot of people don’t understand the arbitration clause and the ramifications of that.
Tesla would need to show up to small claims court to ask the judge to dismiss the case and point to the arbitration clause. Also, arbitration doesn't cover representative claims and class actions.

How do you know its liquid cooled?…
You can look it up in the service manuals. Or watch a tear down video on the newer models to see the cooling loops. The HWx plugs into the MCU so that it can share that cooling.
…I thought the chip swap was the easy part. The hard part was replacing the cameras…
The chip is soldered into a board and those boards changed form factor with the newer cooling loops. The S/X didn’t adopt this until 2021.5.

Likely new cameras and new processors give better performance. So there is this weird situation where maybe the current cameras with new HWx processors are quite an improvement. Except the oldest, expensive cars can’t use those processors. Awkward.

Last edited:
Reactions: argon2018