Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 versus TESLA MODEL 3 | Wheels Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I’ve watched a number of video’s of people criticing it whilst trying it, mostly whilst trying to park, do u turns, or any action that requires full lock steering input.
It's trying to solve the problem of having the turn and turn and turn to get around these tight corners. It just seems to have been done quite badly. The recently announced Toyota BZ4X may work – it has a lock to lock turn of only 150° & hopefully variable angle steering. I think this is the only way a yoke may work well.

Interesting comparison / road test.

I don’t think it’s a bad comparison at all. In the end of the day price point is probably the way most of us compare cars. I think that if you regard a Model 3 as a car then it should be able to be compared to any car, battery or ice. And I think it would do very well, it handles well, it’s sporty and yet it can take the family on vacation. The ride is refined and the build quality comparable to the best. But that is just car verses car, a Tesla is so much more. It’s a technological tour de force that puts all ice vehicles back in the Iron Age and leaves other ev manufacturers in the rear view mirror. Then there is membership to the Tesla family which gives you the charging network which trounces all others (although falls behind if compared to an ice vehicle). A Tesla is the Peter Pan of the car world, those updates mean you have the latest car without having to trade it in for a newer model.
And then most important of all, your Tesla is a ready built platform for self driving (and you can take it or leave as an option). No one else can do this. As a car it is good as a package it’s unrivaled

Cancelled my Ioniq 5 order. Hyundai Australia clearly not ready for this vehicle. Vehicle being delivered without an app as it hasn’t been finalised yet. No retrospective fitting. Heads up display and interior V2L removed also.

Dealers seem completely in the dark too.

A very impressive vehicle though.

Cancelled my Ioniq 5 order. Hyundai Australia clearly not ready for this vehicle. Vehicle being delivered without an app as it hasn’t been finalised yet. No retrospective fitting. Heads up display and interior V2L removed also.

I saw one on the road during the week, the Ioniq 5 design is very impressive and it stands out. It wasn't as big as what I expected, but it definitely a plus size hatch.

I wasn't sure about the two tone colour scheme, but to be fair I've been saying the same thing since the VK Commodore... ;)

A Tesla is the Peter Pan of the car world, those updates mean you have the latest car without having to trade it in for a newer model.
that old marketting line from version 1 cars has been well and truly debunked. Version 1 and 2 cars, promised to do what you’ve just said, do not get mostof the latest new updates. Its a bit naive if you think the current version wont be superceded in the same manner.
Then there is the matter of depreciation causedto allprevious carrs when tesla do a skin or interior upgrade, and the fact that you then no longer have the latest car. The regular battery improvements are another area where you wont have the latest car

To be fair tesla sales staff are also kept in the dark,and tesla dont have heads up display. What is V2L?

Well if it can be used to wrestle the beast around Nurburgring I'm in:

PS love the sound of screaming power electronics! Tyres also screaming, just hanging in there.
Yoke makes perfectly good sence on a race track (f1 have done this for years) or in the case of a road car when it is out on a highway or freeway. Around the city though, with its corners, hi-rise carparks, u-turns etc the video reviews have shown it to be very awkward if not dangerous, and I can definately see the problem.

V2L is Vehicle to Load.
Basically a Type2 plug that has an AU PowerPoint on the other end and let's you draw from the car.

Surprised this is missing. Was shown in TeslaTom's review.

Nothing more than a gimmick. Its not like power inverters havn't been built into cars before. Its just that the socket is external to the car rather internal, infact, the internal option would generally be more useful. I'd be WAY more impressed if it was a proper V2G solution.

V2L is Vehicle to Load.
Basically a Type2 plug that has an AU PowerPoint on the other end and let's you draw from the car.

Surprised this is missing. Was shown in TeslaTom's review.
Tesla doesnt have that either, but a good feature. V2G (sorry elon just broke your law#4) will definately be part of my consideration for the next EV If available. V2L not so much.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Nothing more than a gimmick. Its not like power inverters havn't been built into cars before. Its just that the socket is external to the car rather internal, infact, the internal option would generally be more useful.

Yeah power inverters have been built into vehicles before. But power inverters that can deliver 240V at 15A (3.6 kW)?

That ain’t no gimmick.

Reactions: moa999
Nothing more than a gimmick. Its not like power inverters havn't been built into cars before. Its just that the socket is external to the car rather internal, infact, the internal option would generally be more useful. I'd be WAY more impressed if it was a proper V2G solution.
The point is that Hyundai have stripped out a heap of functionality to get the vehicles to market. When that functionality is added back (particularly app functionality) the resale value of the early vehicles will suffer over/above standard depreciation.

For me personally the app was the showstopper. Heads up display is of little use to me (polarised sunglasses when driving) and internal V2L was a nice to have, not compulsory.

Hyundai Aus customer service certainly trumps Tesla in the ‘lack of’ area. To be fair to Tesla, I’ve not had many issues with comms since early 2020.

Roll on 2022 and the Model Y.

The point is that Hyundai have stripped out a heap of functionality to get the vehicles to market. When that functionality is added back (particularly app functionality) the resale value of the early vehicles will suffer over/above standard depreciation.

For me personally the app was the showstopper. Heads up display is of little use to me (polarised sunglasses when driving) and internal V2L was a nice to have, not compulsory.

Hyundai Aus customer service certainly trumps Tesla in the ‘lack of’ area. To be fair to Tesla, I’ve not had many issues with comms since early 2020.

Roll on 2022 and the Model Y.

Yeah, I still feel like the two new Hyundai and Kia offerings are missing somthing.

Speaking of Tesla care, what is the current Tesla warranty. I'm trying to find it on their website. Surely its not not still 4yr/80,000km. Even Benz/Audi/BMW are now offering 5 year unlimited. If it is, Tesla has by far the worst possible new car warranty in the country.

Yeah, I still feel like the two new Hyundai and Kia offerings are missing somthing.

Speaking of Tesla care, what is the current Tesla warranty. I'm trying to find it on their website. Surely its not not still 4yr/80,000km. Even Benz/Audi/BMW are now offering 5 year unlimited. If it is, Tesla has by far the worst possible new car warranty in the country.
Its not straight forward;

The battery has a longer warranty. In France the Model 3 LR battery is eight years/192,000km if it falls below 70%

Its somewhat a dud warranty on the battery IMO, anything I've read on it mentions 80% to be end of life for lithium batteries, although this is 'considered end of life' rather than throw away. Tesla offer 70% guarantee which is better than nothing, but I hope I'm not the owner with 30% degradation.

Its somewhat a dud warranty on the battery IMO, anything I've read on it mentions 80% to be end of life for lithium batteries, although this is 'considered end of life' rather than throw away. Tesla offer 70% guarantee which is better than nothing, but I hope I'm not the owner with 30% degradation.
I wouldn’t mind 30% but I’d be well pizzed if it was 29😉

Reactions: cafz